Re: Easter in Brissie - Road Training Rides & Races?

Andrew Swan

Guest
Mark Lee wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

>>Thanks for giving me some tips during this am's ride. To explain why I
>>suddenly disappeared, I had a mechanical - my drivetrain suddenly jammed up.
>>Further inspection revealed (to my horror) that the Italian threaded BB had
>>been unscrewing itself on the RHS,

> Bummer, I wondered why you disappeared just as we approached Uni when the
> speed was not high. Coro Dve was fun - over 60kph on the flat but I came
> from too far back to get anywhere... no UCI points for me.
>

>>>SNIP<<

>>Anyone else have a problem with Italian-threaded BBs unscrewing? Sheldon
>>Brown warns of this on his web site, but I never thought it could happen to
>>me (as one doesn't).

> I don't like the idea of Italian BB threads. I have heard of them
> loosening so have always specified English on my bikes. Have you tried
> some Locktite?? as it WILL happen again... sometime.
>
>>P.S. Does that old guy (the cafe owner?) always start the Park Road rides
>>with his whistle? I found that rather quaint! :)

> Yeh, that's Sam (78 yrs old 2 wks ago).. it's a very sensible business
> strategy but they've moved the tables around, leaving less space for bike
> parking and put a slippery strip of paint up the middle. I believe these
> 2 changes are affecting his business adversely already.
>
> I rode this morning with 3 others from Park Rd - just a cruise at 30-
> 32kph, then flew my RC electric plane at the local cricket oval.
> Beautiful weather!
> Have you ridden Mt Coot-tha? email if you want to try something else.
> Wednesday morning is a VERY fast ride in the opposite direction to
> Saturday's.
> e m a i l me at:
> "markwlee at bigpond dot net dot au"

Hi Mark,

Back home now ... to rides I know and can keep up with! :) The LBS
didn't use Loctite on my BB and in fact advised against it. I did >50km
over Sun/Mon (mostly along the Gold Coast frontage) and there was no
loosening, but you can bet as soon as I have any FD shifting problems,
I'll be looking down at the BB to check! When I bought my frame I didn't
know it would have an IT BB, but I guess being Italian made, I should
have guessed...

Bye for now,

&roo