Re: Eating "Naturally"

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by John Sankey, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. John Sankey

    John Sankey Guest

    Increasingly, evidence is increasing that selection of the human
    genome is so strong that our effective genetic heritage is a
    matter of 10s of thousands of years, not the million plus
    assumed to now. In particular, selection for the ability to
    thrive on recent additions to our food diet has resulted in
    almost total elimination of genes that used to exist.

    Our 'natural' diet is the one our recent ancestors ate, recent
    meaning at most the last 10,000 years. See the National
    Geographic Genome project news for the most recent info on this
    sort of thing.

    Tags:

  2. "John Sankey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Increasingly, evidence is increasing that selection of the human
    > genome is so strong that our effective genetic heritage is a
    > matter of 10s of thousands of years, not the million plus
    > assumed to now. In particular, selection for the ability to
    > thrive on recent additions to our food diet has resulted in
    > almost total elimination of genes that used to exist.
    >
    > Our 'natural' diet is the one our recent ancestors ate, recent
    > meaning at most the last 10,000 years. See the National
    > Geographic Genome project news for the most recent info on this
    > sort of thing.

    This rings true to mean, even though I prate (half
    jokingly) about Paleolithic man. But the genome
    just guides us to what's, well, just adequate--not
    to what's optimum. For example, the genome
    might lead us to stuff at a buffet, trying every flavor
    and dish. But, of course, calorie restriction (with
    optimal nutrition) is closer to optimum. The genomic
    thing may be a poor guide for behavior and choice,
    n'est pas?

    George