Re: Ed Dolan and the French

Michael Press

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I did a search on the web and discovered a website which explains all of
> this ****. Barring going to an international keyboard via a region of the
> world, you can use the ALT settings, but you first have to press ALT, hold
> and then go to the NUMERIC pad for the numbers, something that TS neglected
> to point out.

First, I worship at The Church of the Seven Bit ASCII. That said,
Macintosh computers from day one to this have a live keyboard
viewer and an offering of standard letters beyond seven bits
by simple key press.

I hope some of the following renders for you all.

One capability is to add an umlaut, accent grave, accent acute,
carat, or bar to many letters

é è ñ ü î Š

That last critter is an actual ellipsis, not three dots.

There is cedilla, some other non-English letters,

ç å ø

and a few common ligatures.

æ ¦ Þ þ

Alas, no ff, probably my favorite.
The rest of the two variant keyboards are
filled with some Greek letters, plus a bunch of neat signs.

¼ µ ƒ

Pound Stirling, section marker, paragraph marker,

£ § ¶

also surd, TM, circle R, ... You get the idea.

Thanks for the forbearance.

--
Michael Press