Re: Ed Dolan charges Jim McNamara with being an Asshole

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Luigi de Guzman, May 1, 2006.

  1. On 2006-05-01, Glenn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I was told by a friend recently to check this group out, as it had a topic
    > that is of interest to me. At first glance, I see some interesting posts
    > amoungst this verbal attack by two members. Where is the moderator? Is
    > there a moderator? There is no need what so ever for this kind of abuse to
    > take place in a public forum. Please do this via your personal email, not
    > here. Should this continue, I'll simply find another avenue to pursue my
    > interest in recumbents, and advise my friends to do the same. If I am
    > misunderstanding what is going on here, please tell me and I will retract
    > this post immediately.

    Welcome to usenet. If your'e using a real newsreader, you might want to
    learn how to use a killfile, which will filter out posts by particular
    users and/or subject lines.

    Generally, on the internet, you are presumed to be a grown-up. This
    means:

    1) If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

    2) You don't need to listen to anything you don't want to hear.

    As such, this is self-moderating. Trust me, I'd rather have my own
    killfile than have to rely on the tender mercies of some overworked mod
    (as you'd find on PHP-based web forums).

    -Luigi

    Tags:

  2. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Newsgroups restored.

    > On 2006-05-01, Glenn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I was told by a friend recently to check this group out, as it had a
    >> topic
    >> that is of interest to me. At first glance, I see some interesting posts
    >> amoungst this verbal attack by two members. Where is the moderator? Is
    >> there a moderator? There is no need what so ever for this kind of abuse
    >> take place in a public forum. Please do this via your personal email,
    >> not
    >> here. Should this continue, I'll simply find another avenue to pursue my
    >> interest in recumbents, and advise my friends to do the same. If I am
    >> misunderstanding what is going on here, please tell me and I will retract
    >> this post immediately.
    >>

    > Welcome to usenet. If your'e using a real newsreader, you might want to
    > learn how to use a killfile, which will filter out posts by particular
    > users and/or subject lines.

    The best kill-filer in the world is your own mind. Read what you want to
    read and don't read what you don't want to read. Elementary, my dear Watson!

    > Generally, on the internet, you are presumed to be a grown-up. This
    > means:
    >
    > 1) If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

    I have never heard anything so assinine in my life. If I didn't respond to
    all the asshole things that get said on Usenet, that would mean that the
    assholes win. Screw that! Oftentimes we learn the most from the bad things
    that are said. Those who only say good things are boring and need to be put
    out of their misery. Why should we all suffer just because so many are
    dullards.

    > 2) You don't need to listen to anything you don't want to hear.

    Bravo! This is the one and only way to deal with what you do not want to
    bother with. I do it all the time with 99% of what gets posted to these
    freaking cycling newsgroups.

    > As such, this is self-moderating. Trust me, I'd rather have my own
    > killfile than have to rely on the tender mercies of some overworked mod
    > (as you'd find on PHP-based web forums).

    Yes, I agree, but still there are those, perhaps like Glenn, who are truly
    better off on a moderated forum. I really never look to a newsgroup for any
    solid information. Newsgroups are mainly for bum steers. Read the helmet
    threads if you don't believe me.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka