Re: Ed Dolan the Great and Some Night Thoughts

T. Ling Yu

Guest
Should I inform the authorities of your demise, Ed?

Ed?

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hey, welcome to my world. Aye, dying and death is all about us every
> moment of every day. But it is only at the wee hours of the night that
> we can ever experience full despondency. The most dreaded hour is 4:00
> AM. Ah, what a perfect time to die.

Ed?

> There is no solace anywhere in the universe. That is because the
> universe is pitiless. It only IS, just like we are. Until it ISN'T,
> just like we are. Let us all praise motherly death. Ah, extinction and
> oblivion, an end devoutly to be wished for.

Hello?
Ed?

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> We are all dying each and every day a little and there is never any
> point in rushing the process. But some are so stupid as to not even be
> aware of the process.
>
> I now know more dead folks that I do live folks. This is an indication
> that I shall soon join that majority myself.
>
> Beware of the witching hour of 4:00 AM. That is the time of the Grim
> Reaper.

"just a little alcohol gets me high" - Ed

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> We are all dying each and every day a little and there is never any point
> in rushing the process. But some are so stupid as to not even be aware of
> the process.

You could look at it that way but we are also all living each and every day.
Death is not a process. It is an event much the same way conception and
birth are events. To look at them as a process robs them of any distinction.
While you might say that the journey of life (or consciousness to be more
precise) ends with death, it does not follow that we are dying. To focus on
this aspect alone makes no more sense than to deny it. You must learn to
live with death without dying every day.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jeff, there is a switch-over point that occurs sometime in your 60's when
> you realize you are getting damn close to the end.

You could be right although I'm ten years from getting there. Hopefully
we'll both be around and I'll share my thoughts with you at that time.

> A young person who thinks about death is a freak, but an old person who
> does NOT think about death is also a freak.
> Nonetheless, I like your point about death being merely an event and not a
> process. I am going to try to think of it that way myself.

I was that sort of freak. In my late teens and early twenties I was quite
troubled by death. I made my peace with death, however, and it doesn't
trouble me. You are correct about me being too cheerful. It is my lot in
life. I can almost always see the bright side and fail to account for what
can go wrong.

> PS. I do not think Jeff will ever be eligible for my Order of the
> Perpetual Sorrows. He is just too god damn cheerful!

That's ok, Ed. I wasn't looking to join an order. There's far too many of
them already if you ask me. It is all these orders that is responsible for
all the disorder. That's my opinion.

> PS2. There are no more wretched creatures in this world than fallen away
> Roman Catholics. Aye, keep the Faith, but easier said than done!

I think that Christians should keep the faith. But I think that they should
follow Jesus not worship him. He never considered himself anything other
than a somewhat enlightened Rabbi. I would love to be able to read and
understand that bible in its original language without King James or anyone
else to tell me what it says. I don't actually ever plan to make the effort,
however. I'd bet that Jesus wasn't claiming anything that he didn't feel was
available to everyone.

> Jeff, I am on the same page as you here, but let me assure you that you do
> not understand Christians at all. They truly believe what they believe.

I understand completely. This is why I advocate behavior over belief. I feel
it is less important to believe than it is to behave. But lets face it, most
believers only believe what they want to believe or what they have been
taught to believe. How many Christians do you think really believe the
following? (You could make that question 11)

1. What punishment did God say is mandatory for an unruly child?

Correct answer: D. (Stoning To Death) "And they shall say unto the elders of
his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our
voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall
stone him with stones, that he die" (Deuteronomy 21:20-21). "For Moses
said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother,
let him die the death" (Mark 7:10). "And he that smiteth his father, or his
mother, shall be surely put to death" (Exodus 21:15). "And he that curseth
his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death (Exodus 21:17)."

2. What is God's punishment for women who wear showy jewelry and clothing?

Correct answer: C. (Ugliness, misery and death) "In that day the Lord will
take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and
their cauls, and their round tires like the moon. The chains, and the
bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and
the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose
jewels. The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples,
and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and
the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there
shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair
baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning
instead of beauty. Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy might in the
war. And her gates shall lament and mourn: and she being desolate shall sit
upon the ground" (Isaiah 3:17-26).

3. What is God's punishment of those who overeat?

Correct answer: B. (Death by plague) "And the people stood up all that day,
and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he
that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for
themselves round about the camp. And while the flesh was yet between their
teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the
people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague" (Numbers
11:32-33). "The wrath of God came upon them, and slew the fattest of them,
and smote down the chosen men of Israel" (Psalms 78:31).

4. What did Jesus say happens to those who have premarital sex?

Correct answer: C. (They cannot enter Heaven so they must wind up in Hell)
"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be
not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor
effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor
covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the
kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

5. What is the punishment for a single mother having a boy out of wedlock?

Correct answer: D. (The woman may not be punished but the child and his
descendants will go straight to Hell) "A ******* shall not enter into the
congregation of the Lord: even to his tenth generation shall he not enter
into the congregation of the Lord" (Deuteronomy 23:2).

6. What has God done in the past to children who make fun of unattractive
people?

Correct answer: D. (He sent bears to maul the children to death) "And he
went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there
came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto
him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and
looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came
forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of
them" (2 Kings 2:23-24).

7. What punishment did God promise for promiscuous women?

Correct answer: B. (His followers will cut off their noses and ears, burn
them in fire, take away their children and strip them naked) "And I will set
my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they
shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the
sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be
devoured by the fire. They shall also strip thee out of thy clothes, and
take away thy fair jewels. Thus will I make thy lewdness to cease from
thee, and thy whoredom brought from the land of Egypt: so that thou shalt
not lift up thine eyes unto them, nor remember Egypt any more" (Ezekiel
23:25-27). "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by
playing the *****, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire
(Leviticus 21:9)."

8. What does God demand happen to those couples who have sex during the
woman's time of the month?

Correct answer: C. (They are to be banished from society and not permitted
to interact with civilized people) "And if a man shall lie with a woman
having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her
fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them
shall be cut off from among their people." Leviticus 20:18.

9. What punishment does God mandate for a man who rapes a virgin?

Correct Answer: D. (The rapist and his victim shall be married) "If a man
finds a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on
her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her
shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall
be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his
days Deuteronomy 22:28-29)."

10. What did Jesus do to those who failed to sell all their possessions and
give every dime to the Lord?

Correct Answer: C. (Jesus struck them dead) "But a certain man named
Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, And kept back part of
the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and
laid it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan
filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the
price of the land? . . . And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave
up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. . . .
Then fell [Sapphira] straightway at [Peter's] feet, and yielded up the
ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her
forth, buried her by her husband." Acts 5:1-10.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Roman Catholics do not take the Bible literally. Everything we know is
> mediated through the Church. Very strange to me that you do not know this!

I do know that. It is the entire problem.

> I think it is better to be a fallen away Roman Catholic like me than to be
> a fallen away Jew like Jeff Grippe. We fallen away Catholics are not
> stupid enough to think anyone cares about our former childish beliefs.

Now as for me, as I've told you in the past, I teach Sunday School. I belong
to the Ethical Culture Society. It was founded by a rabinical student who
decided that teaching deeds and good works were more important than teaching
religious beliefs.

As an athiest, I do not believe in anything supernatural. As a humanist, I
have respect for all other beliefs as long as they are non-violent and
moderate.

I believe (and I acknowledge that I could be wrong) that the Muslim
terrorists are a small segment of the Muslim population. While they need to
be fought, war is the wrong way to do it. They are simply taking literal
messages from their religious works and acting them out just as fanatic Jews
and Christians have done at times.

Ed, you do stir up the soup and get people to think but you are fighting
ignorance with ignorance and that is just as stupid as having a war to bring
peace.

Since you are an intelligent man and since you are closing in on your 10,000
message milestone, maybe you want to think about what those messages add up
to.

Or you can insult me again. Your choice. WWEDD?

Go in Peace Ed,

Jeff

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Roman Catholics do not take the Bible literally. Everything we know is
>>> mediated through the Church. Very strange to me that you do not know
>>> this!
>>>

>> I do know that. It is the entire problem.

> You do not want individuals reading the Bible and coming to their own
> conclusions. That way lies madness.

Stop agreeing with me dammit!

>>> I think it is better to be a fallen away Roman Catholic like me than to
>>> be a fallen away Jew like Jeff Grippe. We fallen away Catholics are not
>>> stupid enough to think anyone cares about our former childish beliefs.

>> Now as for me, as I've told you in the past, I teach Sunday School. I
>> belong to the Ethical Culture Society. It was founded by a rabinical
>> student who decided that teaching deeds and good works were more
>> important than teaching religious beliefs.

> Very difficult to ever sperate the two. Morality without religion is never
> trustworthy. It leads to all kinds of conundrums.

Religion is not the source of morality. We do not live by Christian morals,
or Jewish morals in this day and age. I posted that list of biblically
prescribed punishments (that you said you were declining to read). We pick
and choose from scripture to fit what we innately understand as moral. Then,
many religious types pretend that they are doing what scripture says when
they are actually behaving in a way that conforms with basic human ethics.

>> As an athiest, I do not believe in anything supernatural. As a humanist,
>> I have respect for all other beliefs as long as they are non-violent and
>> moderate.

> The above statement will get you into all kinds of trouble everywhere in
> the world. You wouldn't last a day in the Middle East.

You are right here. In many Muslim countries these thoughts would be
punishable by death. I don't live in the Middle East, however.

>> I believe (and I acknowledge that I could be wrong) that the Muslim
>> terrorists are a small segment of the Muslim population. While they need
>> to be fought, war is the wrong way to do it. They are simply taking
>> literal messages from their religious works and acting them out just as
>> fanatic Jews and Christians have done at times.

> The Muslim religion is more a culture than anything else, and it is a
> culture which is at war with the West. In any event, in these times of
> weapons of mass destruction, we cannot afford to cut them any slack. We
> need to kill them before they kill us.

It is a war of ideas. Ideas can be modified and changed but they can not be
killed. You will never be able to wipe out a culture. It isn't worth trying.
When you try, you simply strengthen the idea and embolden its followers.

>> Ed, you do stir up the soup and get people to think but you are fighting
>> ignorance with ignorance and that is just as stupid as having a war to
>> bring peace.

> I am NOT an idealist like so many liberals are. That is the chief
> difference between you and me.

It certainly is a big difference. I don't want to give up my idealism or my
optimism and so I remain as I am.

>> Since you are an intelligent man and since you are closing in on your
>> 10,000 message milestone, maybe you want to think about what those
>> messages add up to.

> It adds up to having a lot of fun with very ordinary folks who are
> essentially ignorant on most everything.

Yes but we really shouldn't be doing it here where the cyclists want to talk
about cycling. It's one thing to do it as a thread now and again but you go
way beyond that. This is all old ground, however, that we've been over many
times before.

Jeff

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yes, I am strictly a side dish on these cycling newsgroups. My only appeal
> will be to an intellectual elite. However, it does not hurt a newsgroup to
> have an off-topic genius living among them. Surely, it must get extremely
> boring to read nothing but cycling related topics.

Sure it hurts them. They don't want it and yet they are in no position to
get you to stop given the nature of the beast. If they wanted politics
they'd go to a politics group and post there. Cyclists go to cycling
newsgroups to read about cycling. If it were boring then there wouldn't be
any cycling newsgroups. The fact that there are so many is proof that many
people do not find it boring. I haven't seen anyone post a message yet that
says "Thank god all this political discussion has saved us from the boring
cycling talk."

Cyclists are interested in politics to the degree that it relates to cycling
such as helmet laws, driving laws, etc. Some of us, such as me, are willing
to dive into your silly little world but most of the cyclists would prefer
to limit the talk to cycling.

> You should not be picking and choosing anything from scripture if you are
> not a believer. I never do that myself. Ideally, you ought to be basing
> any appeal to morality strictly on humanistic, secular and scientific
> terms unconnected to religion. If you can't do this, then you are being
> hypocritical.
>
> The fact remains that for the mass of men morality and religion go hand in
> hand. In fact, it is the one and only thing I like about any religion.

Its a nice thought, Ed. If only it were true I'd probably be religious
myself. But the reality is that people with power have always felt free to
make their own rules. Apparently they aren't scared by god.

> But you need to know your enemy. I assure you Jeff, if they could, they
> would kill you without a moments hesitation. What do you propose to do
> about that - other than preach pieties?

What can I do? Kill them first? I don't think so. It won't work. It is not
people but rather an idea that we are fighting. You can't kill ideas with
guns.

> The ideas of the Muslim Jihadists with respect to the West are based
> solely on their abominable religion. It why wars of religion have always
> been so terrible. Frankly, I am very glad that there is a strong religious
> element left in Israel (the Orthodox Jews). They may very well need that
> in the end in order to survive.

Nope. They are going to have to work out terms for peace. That does not mean
agreement. It mean you go your way and I go mine. Kind of like what you and
I have done.

> If you were ever to immerse yourself in the study of history you would
> soon become convinced at what makes the world go around - and it is NOT
> idealism!

You have no credentials to recommend study to anyone when you won't study
yourself. Whatever you've learned has become warped by your opinions. This
is not bad. It happens to all of us but you refuse to let in anything new.
That's not good.

Jeff