Re: ephedra

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lass Chance_2, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
    ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts. Increases heart rate,
    blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight or flight" mode. Not a
    good thing for extended periods of time. WAY too much stress on the
    body.

    For any herb, drug or chemical to 'work", there has to be a receptor in
    the body, a doorway, so to speak. The receptors in the brain that
    accept ephedra are the exact same receptors that accept adenalin,
    cocaine, amphetamine and LSD....They are all so similar, molecularly,
    that they all "unlock" the same keyholes.

    One of the problems with herbs is they are NOT goverened by the
    FDA....and many should be. Ephedra is certainly one that should be,
    because it IS potentially very dangerous.

    I wouldnt touch the stuff with a ten foot pole, myself, for the same
    reasons I dont do coke or speed any more, LOL....I dont want to have
    atroke or heart attack today.

    I dont wanna rain on your financial prade or anything but come on.
    You're selling a dangerous substance, herb or not.

    People lose weight on ephedra because the adrenalin effect of raising
    heart rate and BP does burn the calories....but the body isnt built to
    sustain high levels of adrenalin over an extended period.

    LassChance

    Tags:

  2. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    [email protected] (Lass Chance_2) writes:
    > Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
    > ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts.

    That assumes that your ephedra actually has ephedrine in it
    (regardless of what the label claims).

    > Increases heart rate, blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight
    > or flight" mode. Not a good thing for extended periods of time. WAY
    > too much stress on the body.

    Actually, most of the side effects of ephedrine go away with time,
    except for the fat-burning one. I've been taking it for a while now,
    and pretty much all the symptoms are gone. Ephedrine is one of the
    few drugs that gets safer and more effective with chronic use.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, DJ Delorie <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > [email protected] (Lass Chance_2) writes:
    > > Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
    > > ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts.

    > That assumes that your ephedra actually has ephedrine in it
    > (regardless of what the label claims).
    >
    > > Increases heart rate, blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight
    > > or flight" mode. Not a good thing for extended periods of time. WAY
    > > too much stress on the body.

    > Actually, most of the side effects of ephedrine go away with time,
    > except for the fat-burning one. I've been taking it for a while now,
    > and pretty much all the symptoms are gone. Ephedrine is one of the
    > few drugs that gets safer and more effective with chronic use.

    Depends on the individual.

    I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.

    That is why I quit using it.

    YMMV.
    --
    Om.

  4. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> writes:
    > Depends on the individual.

    As always.

    > I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.

    Did you start with a fractional 1x/day dose, and slowly (like over a
    few months) increase it until you got to the full 3x/day level? Slow
    acclimation is important with ephedrine.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, DJ Delorie <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> writes:
    > > Depends on the individual.

    > As always.
    >
    > > I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.

    > Did you start with a fractional 1x/day dose, and slowly (like over a
    > few months) increase it until you got to the full 3x/day level? Slow
    > acclimation is important with ephedrine.

    I never took it more than twice per day.
    Too late in the day and I could not sleep...

    I don't think it should be banned, not at all!
    It served it's purpose at the time. I just prefer to
    not use it anymore by personal choice.

    Not everyone reacts the way I did to it, and even then it was ok for a
    time.

    I still keep a bottle of mini-thins in the truck for emergencies and
    looooong distance driving.

    I'd rather be a bit anxious than fall asleep on a long drive. ;-)
    --
    Om.

  6. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, DJ Delorie <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] (Lass Chance_2) writes:
    > > > Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
    > > > ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts.

    > > That assumes that your ephedra actually has ephedrine in it
    > > (regardless of what the label claims).
    > >
    > > > Increases heart rate, blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight
    > > > or flight" mode. Not a good thing for extended periods of time. WAY
    > > > too much stress on the body.

    > > Actually, most of the side effects of ephedrine go away with time,
    > > except for the fat-burning one. I've been taking it for a while now,
    > > and pretty much all the symptoms are gone. Ephedrine is one of the
    > > few drugs that gets safer and more effective with chronic use.

    > Depends on the individual.
    >
    > I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.
    >
    > That is why I quit using it.
    >
    > YMMV.

    I have high blood pressure and take medication for it. Can't speak for
    everyone, but anything that makes my heart flutter faster than normal is
    something to be avoided.

    I'll probably stick to muching bacon and eggbeater omlets and walking my
    dog. He's looking quite trim these days.

    (the)duckster