Re: ephedra

Lass Chance_2

Guest
Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts. Increases heart rate,
blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight or flight" mode. Not a
good thing for extended periods of time. WAY too much stress on the
body.

For any herb, drug or chemical to 'work", there has to be a receptor in
the body, a doorway, so to speak. The receptors in the brain that
accept ephedra are the exact same receptors that accept adenalin,
cocaine, amphetamine and LSD....They are all so similar, molecularly,
that they all "unlock" the same keyholes.

One of the problems with herbs is they are NOT goverened by the
FDA....and many should be. Ephedra is certainly one that should be,
because it IS potentially very dangerous.

I wouldnt touch the stuff with a ten foot pole, myself, for the same
reasons I dont do coke or speed any more, LOL....I dont want to have
atroke or heart attack today.

I dont wanna rain on your financial prade or anything but come on.
You're selling a dangerous substance, herb or not.

People lose weight on ephedra because the adrenalin effect of raising
heart rate and BP does burn the calories....but the body isnt built to
sustain high levels of adrenalin over an extended period.

LassChance

[email protected] (Lass Chance_2) writes:
> Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
> ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts.

That assumes that your ephedra actually has ephedrine in it
(regardless of what the label claims).

> Increases heart rate, blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight
> or flight" mode. Not a good thing for extended periods of time. WAY
> too much stress on the body.

Actually, most of the side effects of ephedrine go away with time,
except for the fat-burning one. I've been taking it for a while now,
and pretty much all the symptoms are gone. Ephedrine is one of the
few drugs that gets safer and more effective with chronic use.

In article <[email protected]>, DJ Delorie <[email protected]>
wrote:

> [email protected] (Lass Chance_2) writes:
> > Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
> > ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts.

> That assumes that your ephedra actually has ephedrine in it
> (regardless of what the label claims).
>
> > Increases heart rate, blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight
> > or flight" mode. Not a good thing for extended periods of time. WAY
> > too much stress on the body.

> Actually, most of the side effects of ephedrine go away with time,
> except for the fat-burning one. I've been taking it for a while now,
> and pretty much all the symptoms are gone. Ephedrine is one of the
> few drugs that gets safer and more effective with chronic use.

Depends on the individual.

I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.

That is why I quit using it.

YMMV.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> writes:
> Depends on the individual.

As always.

> I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.

Did you start with a fractional 1x/day dose, and slowly (like over a
few months) increase it until you got to the full 3x/day level? Slow
acclimation is important with ephedrine.

wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> writes:
> > Depends on the individual.

> As always.
>
> > I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.

> Did you start with a fractional 1x/day dose, and slowly (like over a
> few months) increase it until you got to the full 3x/day level? Slow
> acclimation is important with ephedrine.

I never took it more than twice per day.
Too late in the day and I could not sleep...

I don't think it should be banned, not at all!
It served it's purpose at the time. I just prefer to
not use it anymore by personal choice.

Not everyone reacts the way I did to it, and even then it was ok for a
time.

I still keep a bottle of mini-thins in the truck for emergencies and
looooong distance driving.

I'd rather be a bit anxious than fall asleep on a long drive. ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, DJ Delorie <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Lass Chance_2) writes:
> > > Ephedra may be "only an herb", but it acts on the body the same way
> > > ephedrine, which is basically adrenalin, acts.

> > That assumes that your ephedra actually has ephedrine in it
> > (regardless of what the label claims).
> >
> > > Increases heart rate, blood pressure.....keeping the body in "fight
> > > or flight" mode. Not a good thing for extended periods of time. WAY
> > > too much stress on the body.

> > Actually, most of the side effects of ephedrine go away with time,
> > except for the fat-burning one. I've been taking it for a while now,
> > and pretty much all the symptoms are gone. Ephedrine is one of the
> > few drugs that gets safer and more effective with chronic use.

> Depends on the individual.
>
> I found that the side effects got WORSE with time.
>
> That is why I quit using it.
>
> YMMV.

I have high blood pressure and take medication for it. Can't speak for
everyone, but anything that makes my heart flutter faster than normal is
something to be avoided.

I'll probably stick to muching bacon and eggbeater omlets and walking my
dog. He's looking quite trim these days.

(the)duckster