Re-evaluating goals

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
Ok,

So way back last December I decided that I wanted to try and get 4000 miles this year. I know it isn't that much compared to some folks here, but hey, I've got a 9-5 and only started last year. So far I've gotten just over 2000 and it looks like I'm on track for just short of 3500 miles. I don't really see me making up the extra 500 in the 2.5 months of predictable riding I've got left this year.

SO, should I keep my 4000 mile goal, knowing I'm going to miss it for the year, or drop back and punt and try to hit the more realistic goal of 3500 (I'd still have to pick up the pace to make that number). If I do change my goals, am I selling myself short?

What do you think?

L

BTW, I'm doing my first century Saturday....

Keep the goal, do your best, come close, and try again next year.

Honestly, you're pretty close, so if making the goal means a lot then why not stretch and try to make it? If you make 3600 miles on a goal of 3500, does that make you feel better than making 3700 miles towards a goal of 4000? I wouldn't revise my goal downward just so that I could make it. I think there's just as much value in setting an aggressive goal and coming up a little short as there is to reach a goal that was a little conservative. My two cents.

Lonnie Utah said:
Ok,

So way back last December I decided that I wanted to try and get 4000 miles this year. I know it isn't that much compared to some folks here, but hey, I've got a 9-5 and only started last year. So far I've gotten just over 2000 and it looks like I'm on track for just short of 3500 miles. I don't really see me making up the extra 500 in the 2.5 months of predictable riding I've got left this year.

SO, should I keep my 4000 mile goal, knowing I'm going to miss it for the year, or drop back and punt and try to hit the more realistic goal of 3500 (I'd still have to pick up the pace to make that number). If I do change my goals, am I selling myself short?

What do you think?

L

BTW, I'm doing my first century Saturday....
I set the same 4000 mile goal around the same time last year. Unfortunately, several bouts of bronchitis and flu in Jan - early April set me way back. As of Aug 1st I've logged 1763 miles so 4000 just ain't gonna happen by Jan 31st. Besides, I'm not as into it as I was last year.

In your case a 500 mile difference in 4 1/2 months is very reasonable. That's 112 miles extra per month or just under 3.8 miles per day assuming 7 days per week and 30 days per month. Go for it.

frenchyge said:
Keep the goal, do your best, come close, and try again next year.

Honestly, you're pretty close, so if making the goal means a lot then why not stretch and try to make it? If you make 3600 miles on a goal of 3500, does that make you feel better than making 3700 miles towards a goal of 4000? I wouldn't revise my goal downward just so that I could make it. I think there's just as much value in setting an aggressive goal and coming up a little short as there is to reach a goal that was a little conservative. My two cents.
That makes a lot of sense to me. No matter what I do, I'd still remember my initial goal of 4000....

Doctor Morbius said:
In your case a 500 mile difference in 4 1/2 months is very reasonable. That's 112 miles extra per month or just under 3.8 miles per day assuming 7 days per week and 30 days per month. Go for it.
Except when November comes, snow will most likely be flying here. I blew it in Mar and May. I got behind in March when was very snowy here and I had too many vacation days in May....

1 other thing I didn't add, I'm only counting road miles. Miles on the trainer don't count in this equation. I guess the one good thing is I've already gotten more miles this year that some of my riding buddies got last year.....

4000 stands.

L

First, good luck in your first century. Second, until I read your post, I had no idea how many miles I have ridden this year. I checked and it was 4,214 YTD. Then I thought, "So what?" The reason I didn't know was that I don't pay any attention to the number. My goals are entirely related to performance, which is driven by quality training time, not miles. Now, you start talking about a 40K MP goal or an average power goal for a century and you've got my attention. How about setting an aggressive but realizable performance goal for yourself by year-end. Then, the issue becomes not just logging miles but organizing your available time to achieve a tangible performance goal. Maybe there's a long hill climb near your house that you now climb in, say, 40 minutes. Your goal could be to climb it in 38 minutes by year-end. Just a thought. Anyway, I repeat my first point -- good luck in your first 100.

Lonnie Utah said:
1 other thing I didn't add, I'm only counting road miles. Miles on the trainer don't count in this equation. I guess the one good thing is I've already gotten more miles this year that some of my riding buddies got last year.....

4000 stands.

L
Trainer miles should count. The resistance on my Fluid2 trainer is harder than riding outdoors so I'm sure as hell counting trainer miles toward my yearly totals. Just did 30 minutes worth including 3 x 3 intervals. Friday night I did 50 miles on the trainer with an average HR of 151 BPM or 79.06% of MaxHR . Good fun.

I count trainer miles too. Just over 3300 miles for me this season (since 12/19/04). That's a record for me, but my goals were ride/performance related, not volume related.

Just get really really PI**ED OFF. Then dooooo it.

Well, seriously, I guess I have to second Rap Daddy's comments. I have a habit of putting in long rides to pad my training log. But the thing I really crave is to go faster. The problem is the discipline required to put in the hard intervals. I think anyone can go longer, but going faster is much more important. At least it is to most of us, unless we're randonneurs.

So I guess I would say that your goal is good, it's a noble goal, and you'll get benefits in both fitness and discipline from achieving it -- as well as self-confidence. But if you really want to get faster, then you have to go faster. And if that's your ultimate goal, then I would look at starting to modulate your intensity more. And find, as Rap said, a standard to gun for.

Thanks everyone,

Just a note, one reason I didn't set any "personal" goals this year is I was pretty new to the sport when I set my mileage goal. As for the other things, I really didn't have a good feel for what I wanted to do. I'll set more of those for mext year. The two big ones that I've set for myself this year I'm going to meet. Haleakala in Maui and to ride a century (assuming I finish Saturday).

The other thing I've learned this year is you can't meet "ambitious" mileage goals only riding 20 mile training rides at lunch....

L