re: EVEN More on fat people going downhill

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jack Ouzzi, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    I am currently trying to work out how cold I will be getting via a
    little program that works out wind chill ..........

    http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/wind_chill.html

    As there have been some mind boggling calculations by the cycling
    boffins under the above heading topic ....... I thought I would post
    it here ..........

    So If I am riding at 12 mph into a 12 mph wind ....... is that 24 mph
    for calculation purposes ???

    Answer to the nearest 0.00000000 decimal point please :)

    Taa

  2. >Answer to the nearest 0.00000000 decimal point please :)

    >Taa

    Only educated guesswork needed then?

    Cheers, helen s

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 7/10/04 8:39 am, in article [email protected],
    "Jack Ouzzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am currently trying to work out how cold I will be getting via a
    > little program that works out wind chill ..........
    >
    > http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/wind_chill.html
    >
    > As there have been some mind boggling calculations by the cycling
    > boffins under the above heading topic ....... I thought I would post
    > it here ..........
    >
    > So If I am riding at 12 mph into a 12 mph wind ....... is that 24 mph
    > for calculation purposes ???

    But at what temperature?

    Windchill depends on the evaporative loss from the body.
    This in turn depends on the wind speed and tempreature.

    Coldest whilst cycling was 20km/h at -15C. At that speed and tempreature you
    really want to have absolutely no bare skin. It will freeze within minutes.

    Though on a still day it is perfectly possible to survive for a few minutes
    with no ill effects at -20 in a T-shirt and shorts. Not much longer though..

    ...d

  4. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:50:04 +0100, David Martin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 7/10/04 8:39 am, in article [email protected],
    >"Jack Ouzzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently trying to work out how cold I will be getting via a
    >> little program that works out wind chill ..........
    >>
    >> http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/wind_chill.html
    >>
    >> As there have been some mind boggling calculations by the cycling
    >> boffins under the above heading topic ....... I thought I would post
    >> it here ..........
    >>
    >> So If I am riding at 12 mph into a 12 mph wind ....... is that 24 mph
    >> for calculation purposes ???
    >>

    >But at what temperature?
    >
    >Windchill depends on the evaporative loss from the body.
    >This in turn depends on the wind speed and tempreature.
    >
    >Coldest whilst cycling was 20km/h at -15C. At that speed and tempreature you
    >really want to have absolutely no bare skin. It will freeze within minutes.
    >
    >Though on a still day it is perfectly possible to survive for a few minutes
    >with no ill effects at -20 in a T-shirt and shorts. Not much longer though..
    >
    >..d

    The temperature is put into the calculator at whatever the temparature
    is at the time ........ the question was 12 mph headwind - 12 mph
    speed riding into it, does that make 24 mph ??

  5. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Jack Ouzzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:2bdam01isbablpil8p[email protected]
    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:50:04 +0100, David Martin
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On 7/10/04 8:39 am, in article

    [email protected],
    > >"Jack Ouzzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am currently trying to work out how cold I will be getting via a
    > >> little program that works out wind chill ..........
    > >>
    > >> http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/wind_chill.html
    > >>
    > >> As there have been some mind boggling calculations by the cycling
    > >> boffins under the above heading topic ....... I thought I would post
    > >> it here ..........
    > >>
    > >> So If I am riding at 12 mph into a 12 mph wind ....... is that 24 mph
    > >> for calculation purposes ???
    > >>

    > >But at what temperature?
    > >
    > >Windchill depends on the evaporative loss from the body.
    > >This in turn depends on the wind speed and tempreature.
    > >
    > >Coldest whilst cycling was 20km/h at -15C. At that speed and tempreature

    you
    > >really want to have absolutely no bare skin. It will freeze within

    minutes.

    > >Though on a still day it is perfectly possible to survive for a few

    minutes
    > >with no ill effects at -20 in a T-shirt and shorts. Not much longer

    though..

    > >..d

    > The temperature is put into the calculator at whatever the temparature
    > is at the time ........ the question was 12 mph headwind - 12 mph
    > speed riding into it, does that make 24 mph ??

    Yup - you're only concerned with the airspeed here.

    cheers,
    clive

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Clive George wrote:

    > Yup - you're only concerned with the airspeed here.

    Though you're also concerned with what you're wearing. If you're
    wearing a (more or less) windproof jacket you'll suffer a lot less from
    windchill than if you're wearing an old woolly pully, because the air is
    mostly stopped before it hits you. You'll still get convective losses,
    but on the whole if you're in a cold wind you're probably better off
    with a pertex top and a microfleece than a nominally much warmer "300
    weight" fleece, even though that would be the warmer garment indoors.

    I'm not worried about cocking up the reasoning so much this time around,
    as empirical experience, and lots of it, says that is the case.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    > Clive George wrote:
    >
    > > Yup - you're only concerned with the airspeed here.

    > Though you're also concerned with what you're wearing. If you're
    > wearing a (more or less) windproof jacket you'll suffer a lot less from
    > windchill than if you're wearing an old woolly pully, because the air is
    > mostly stopped before it hits you. You'll still get convective losses,
    > but on the whole if you're in a cold wind you're probably better off
    > with a pertex top and a microfleece than a nominally much warmer "300
    > weight" fleece, even though that would be the warmer garment indoors.
    >
    > I'm not worried about cocking up the reasoning so much this time around,
    > as empirical experience, and lots of it, says that is the case.

    :)

    I think I'm just answering a slightly different question to you - mine is
    'what do windspeed do I use if I've got a program to calculate windchill',
    yours is the somewhat more helpful 'how do I stop getting cold', which as
    you know doesn't really take a computer program to calculate.

    cheers,
    clive

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Clive George wrote:

    > I think I'm just answering a slightly different question to you

    You gave the simple answer requested, I "added value"... ;-)

    Pete.