Re: Expedition 15 - Carneddau - Trip Reports

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:24:11 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It would take some bottle to suggest a short route in such gatherings so
>stuffed with testosterone

A-ha! But that is where *I* come in. Being of the weaker sex (and
bolshy with it) I am happy to suggest a route that I know I would like
to do.

This weekend was my first URW expedition and I didn't know what the
group dynamic was, so I was happy to go along with what the others did
(and turn around at the earliest opportunity!)

Next time I will try to plan some sort of route beforehand. I can't
promise anything, but I will at least try to make an effort.

(By the way, if anyone actually suggests that I am weak because of my
sex I shall challenge him to a duel..... but I shall be in the
Discovery and I shall win. You have been warned.)

Judith

"Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On a URW wild camping exped, would you all still bag peaks or do you
> do a flatter walk? What have you done in the past? I don't know how
> many wild expeds there have been.
>
> Judith

There has been two. I went on one which was on Dartmoor. We walked about
three miles on the Saturday and then went back to camp to fill our
faces. And on the Sunday we walked all of four miles to pet some
Dartmoor ponies. It were great. All that mindless plodding over the
landscape was completely off the agenda. I agree with those who compare
peak bagging with trainspotting. It is exactly the same. If you want to
see just how mind bogglingly anal some of this group is, just try
starting a thread entitled, "What is a Hill!".

Or "Harveys vs OS - Discuss".

Ian.

"Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> (By the way, if anyone actually suggests that I am weak because of my
> sex I shall challenge him to a duel..... but I shall be in the
> Discovery and I shall win. You have been warned.)
>
> Judith

You are weak because of your sex.

Nervous regards,

Ian.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:48:34 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I went on one which was on Dartmoor. We walked about
>three miles on the Saturday and then went back to camp to fill our
>faces.

Oh, I see. You put your tents up and then wander round without them.

Hm? That's not my way of doing it. My navigation is so cr*p, there's
no way I'm leaving my Akto in the middle of nowhere then carrying a
half empty 65 litre rucksack all day!

Judith

In message <[email protected]>,
Ian Dainty <[email protected]> writes
>"Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> On a URW wild camping exped, would you all still bag peaks or do you
>> do a flatter walk? What have you done in the past? I don't know how
>> many wild expeds there have been.
>>
>> Judith

>There has been two. I went on one which was on Dartmoor. We walked about
>three miles on the Saturday and then went back to camp to fill our
>faces. And on the Sunday we walked all of four miles to pet some
>Dartmoor ponies. It were great. All that mindless plodding over the
>landscape was completely off the agenda. I agree with those who compare
>peak bagging with trainspotting. It is exactly the same. If you want to
>see just how mind bogglingly anal some of this group is, just try
>starting a thread entitled, "What is a Hill!".

It's a 1965 film directed by Sidney Lumet with an all star cast
including
Sean Connery, Harry Andrews, Roy Kinnear, Ian Hendry and Michael
Redgrave

HTH
--
Martin Richardson
239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go

Judith wrote:

> On a URW wild camping exped, would you all still bag peaks or do you
> do a flatter walk?

Depends where it is. On Dartmoor we did a flattish walk with a couple
of very small hills, mainly visiting tors. On Mynydd Du (Brecon
Beacons) we did a ridge walk. We bagged a few peaks enroute because
they were on the ridges, but it was mainly about the walk.

> What have you done in the past?

Dartmoor and Mynydd Du.

> I don't know how
> many wild expeds there have been.

Only two. Not very good attendance on each. On Dartmoor there were
only 6 of us. On Mynydd Du only 4 people actually camping, although we
did have a few visitors (Bill, Fran & Roger).

Most people don't seem so keen to wild camp, and it's probably a bit
more difficult to organise.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Judith wrote:

> Oh, I see. You put your tents up and then wander round without them.
>
> Hm? That's not my way of doing it. My navigation is so cr*p, there's
> no way I'm leaving my Akto in the middle of nowhere then carrying a
> half empty 65 litre rucksack all day!

Ever heard of GPS?

Actually the Dartmoor wild camp was a bit of a laugh. Two of us (me and
Ian) got there after dark (wandering around a boggy moorland strewn with
water filled shellholes at night is no fun), and promptly made our way
to the correct rendezvous point, as shown by the GPS. Trouble was,
Kevin had given us the wrong grid ref, they were a few hundred yards
further up the valley! We did larf! (when we eventually found them)

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Martin Richardson <[email protected]> wrote

> "What is a Hill!".
>>

>It's a 1965 film directed by Sidney Lumet with an all star cast
>including
>Sean Connery, Harry Andrews, Roy Kinnear, Ian Hendry and Michael
>Redgrave
>
>HTH

It was The Hill, not A Hill.
--
Gordon

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:26:24 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ever heard of GPS?

Aye, but my GPS won't prevent me from being round the wrong side of a
big hill when I decide I want to go back to my tent. i.e. it will
tell me where I left the tent but I still have to work out the best
way to get back to it! What appeals to me about wild camping is the
fact that I can pitch my tent anywhere and anytime. If I suddenly
think "oooh, what a nice stream - I think I'll camp here" then that is
what I do - regardless of whether it is 8pm or 6pm or even 3pm.

Of course, I would still join in a URW wild expedition because I trust
you all to get me back to my tent! (Even though it took *me*, with a
map and compass, to tell you all where the start of the footpath was
on Saturday morning!)

BTW, I can get lost within half a mile of home. That is why I always
carry a map in my hand when I am walking. I need to CONSTANTLY know
where I am. I have no map in my head. If I go shopping in a street
with shops in a row, and I go into every shop in that row, I cannot
remember which way I was heading when I come out of a shop. My
built-in direction-finding really is that bad.

Judith

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (Naismith's) His rule is calculated on himself. Since he was an extremely

fit walker
> his formula only applies to similarly fit walkers. Thus it's next to
> useless for ordinary folk. Myself and Judith took nearly 6 hours doing
> what Naismith calculated to be a 3.5 hour walk. And before you point
> out that we stopped for quite a few rests, Naismith's formula reputedly
> includes rests, which makes it even less valid IMO.

I'm surprised you say that. I wouldn't class myself as fit (I'm 40 and
overweight), but if I walk alone I usually beat a Naismith time for walks
under 4 hours (by quite a bit if the ground is good). For walks 4-5 hours
(or so), I usually equal it, but for longer walks I usually finish a bit
behind. And my time always includes rest breaks.

Mind you, I usually have a good sweat up by the time I finish a walk. And I
usually have to have a long lie down in the shower afterwards!

When I walk with others, I do seem to walk slower, especially if the
conversation is interesting.

Have fun,
Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Judith
<[email protected]> writes
>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:26:24 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Ever heard of GPS?

>Aye, but my GPS won't prevent me from being round the wrong side of a
>big hill when I decide I want to go back to my tent. i.e. it will
>tell me where I left the tent but I still have to work out the best
>way to get back to it! What appeals to me about wild camping is the
>fact that I can pitch my tent anywhere and anytime. If I suddenly
>think "oooh, what a nice stream - I think I'll camp here" then that is
>what I do - regardless of whether it is 8pm or 6pm or even 3pm.

Sound like the ultimate wild camping Judith - idyllic.

>Of course, I would still join in a URW wild expedition because I trust
>you all to get me back to my tent! (Even though it took *me*, with a
>map and compass, to tell you all where the start of the footpath was
>on Saturday morning!)

We don't talk about that :)

>BTW, I can get lost within half a mile of home. That is why I always
>carry a map in my hand when I am walking. I need to CONSTANTLY know
>where I am. I have no map in my head. If I go shopping in a street
>with shops in a row, and I go into every shop in that row, I cannot
>remember which way I was heading when I come out of a shop. My
>built-in direction-finding really is that bad.

I was in that huge shopping place in Southampton "West Quay" is it? You
need GPS to find the front door when you want to leave - it's vast!

I can easily lose my wife in a telephone box so there !

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
<[email protected]> writes
>Only two. Not very good attendance on each. On Dartmoor there were
>only 6 of us. On Mynydd Du only 4 people actually camping, although we
>did have a few visitors (Bill, Fran & Roger).

Roger and I arrived as Phil was packing up, Fran and family arrived
later having navigated by map and compass - vary accurately I might add,
though they did take the wet route :)

My GPS waypoints would have helped as I'd walked the access a couple of
times earlier in the week to get a good route for the new lads to get to
the lake in the dark on a dry route in the dark supplied by Paul.

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, W. D. Grey
<[email protected]> writes
> My GPS waypoints would have helped as I'd walked the access a couple
>of times earlier in the week to get a good route for the new lads to
>get to the lake in the dark on a dry route in the dark supplied by Paul.

Paul supplied the route NOT the dark .....oops!
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:10:44 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul supplied the route NOT the dark .....oops!

I did think there was something of the night about him!

Judith

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:44:51 +0100, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:24:11 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It would take some bottle to suggest a short route in such gatherings so
>>stuffed with testosterone

>A-ha! But that is where *I* come in. Being of the weaker sex (and
>bolshy with it) I am happy to suggest a route that I know I would like
>to do.
>
>This weekend was my first URW expedition and I didn't know what the
>group dynamic was, so I was happy to go along with what the others did
>(and turn around at the earliest opportunity!)
>
>Next time I will try to plan some sort of route beforehand. I can't
>promise anything, but I will at least try to make an effort.
>
>(By the way, if anyone actually suggests that I am weak because of my
>sex I shall challenge him to a duel..... but I shall be in the
>Discovery and I shall win. You have been warned.)
>
>Judith

You are a weak and feeble woman, and my Terrano will go places your
Disco can only dream of!

--

Paul

(Watch this space)