Re extending life of chain etc

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:59:24 GMT, maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:55:38 +0000, David Reuteler wrote:
>
>> 23mm tires on my touring bike.

> That statement alone is enough to bait me. LOL It completely contradicts
> itself.
>
> ;)
>
> Unless you weigh less than 130#, touring on anything skinnier than a
> 700x28 just doesn't make sense. The 23's won't make you go any faster and
> you'll get more flats. I'll allow 25's for CC touring of course. ;)

Unfortunately, I bought extra 23 tires, so I'm riding them. Mr Tuffies
help with the flats, though.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:55:38 +0000, David Reuteler wrote:
>
>> 23mm tires on my touring bike.

> That statement alone is enough to bait me. LOL It completely contradicts
> itself.
>
> ;)
>
> Unless you weigh less than 130#, touring on anything skinnier than a
> 700x28 just doesn't make sense. The 23's won't make you go any faster and
> you'll get more flats. I'll allow 25's for CC touring of course. ;)

yea, you'd have to understand that i'm an apartment dweller so my touring
bike does double duty as a road bike (i only have 2 bikes .. the other is
my track bike commuter) so i'm not touring on it w/ 23 or 25mm tires. a
has been said, touring bikes can make good road bikes but not vice versa.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

wrote in part:

>But fenders and rack interfering with the "lines" of the bike? Please. On
>that type of bike they are integral! Perhaps you might go for just front
>and rear bags and no rack, but still...

---snip---

As I said, it's not a putdown just personal preference. I have never seen an
example of "that type of bike" that I thought was particularly attractive.

>Do you cut off the fenders on your Subaru because it doesn't have the
>spare and gorgeous looks of a VW dune buggy? ;)

Two things- I don't own a Subaru and I think most VW dune buggies look
downright tacky. Rather like a pretty bike frame festooned with fenders,
panniers, and racks. <g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:48:39 +0000, David Reuteler wrote:

> yea, you'd have to understand that i'm an apartment dweller so my touring
> bike does double duty as a road bike

Been there, and understand, though I went the other direction.

I had one bike, a 7 speed nexus city bike that I did every thing on.

Exercised, commuted, and attached baskets to once a week for that ride to
Devon street in Chicago for yummy Indian Groceries.

For a couple years, I got rid of all of my cycling specific clothes and
whatnot and did it all in street clothes. If I needed exercise on Sunday,
then I'd plan on going to mass at a place 7 miles north, or if I needed
coconut milk on a Tuesday, I'd ride to Argyle street instead of the local
market.

FWIW, I found the most comfortable shoes to wear in these escapades to be
Blundstone boots--they're light, weatherproof, and slip easily into clips.

:D