General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: extreme shoe frustration

Started by Elflord · · Last activity · 3 posts · 106 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 April 2007
Last activity
1 April 2007
Original author
Elflord
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
106
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Shin and ankle pains aren't necessarily a shoe issue, but blisters are
    either a shoe issue, a sock issue, or both.

    What type of socks are you wearing ? If you're wearing cotton socks, stop
    it.

    Quoted message said:

    starting to develop blisters, I finally went back to the running store, met
    with the owner, and he suggested a pair of Asics. Today I tried to go out
    for an easy run, but a mile into it, my arches hurt, and my shin had
    excruciating pain. I ended up walking back.

    I doubt that it's because of that particular shoe. These sorts of injuries
    accumulate over distance, they are not acts of god.

    Your injuries may or may not be the direct result of footwear choices. As I
    recall, in the early stages, you had some intermittent problems due to
    hammering all your workouts. These sorts of issues can resurface from time to
    time, even after you moderate your training. I still get achilles tendon
    flare-ups the day after a hard workout, and there are certain workouts I simply
    won't do, because I know I'll pay for it the next day (I injured them in late
    2002 by hammering out intervals on the track at a pace that was way too fast at
    the time)

    Quoted message said:

    I am so frustrated! I don't know what to do. The shoe store said my feet
    are very narrow. At this point, I feel like money is no object, I just want
    a pair of comfortable shoes! What should I do? Keep trying different
    shoes?

    Yes, more or less.

    Quoted message said:

    Is there a particular shoe I should try?

    Not really. I think New Balance and Nike tend to run narrower than Asics and Brooks,
    so maybe look at them. But there's no magic formula.

    Quoted message said:

    Do I need custom orthotics?

    Not until you've exhausted the alternatives.

    Quoted message said:

    Argh... 2 steps forward, one step back.

    Yep.

    Cheers,
    --
    Elflord

  2. "Elflord" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Shin and ankle pains aren't necessarily a shoe issue, but blisters are
    either a shoe issue, a sock issue, or both.

    What type of socks are you wearing ? If you're wearing cotton socks, stop
    it.

    Definitely synthetic running socks.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    starting to develop blisters, I finally went back to the running store,
    met
    with the owner, and he suggested a pair of Asics. Today I tried to go
    out
    for an easy run, but a mile into it, my arches hurt, and my shin had
    excruciating pain. I ended up walking back.

    I doubt that it's because of that particular shoe. These sorts of injuries
    accumulate over distance, they are not acts of god.

    Your injuries may or may not be the direct result of footwear choices. As
    I
    recall, in the early stages, you had some intermittent problems due to
    hammering all your workouts.

    Yep. I overdid it at first. I have moderated my training alot, now doing 3
    short runs and one longer run per week, but only a total of about 15 miles.

    Thanks for your advice. Is it uncommon for a person to struggle so much in
    the beginning with finding the right shoe? My husband could run in
    anything... I swear, he could strap kleenex boxes to his feet and hed be
    fine.

  3. determined said:

    Definitely synthetic running socks.

    Great. Experiment a bit with these anyway. I've found this to be hit and miss
    too.

    Quoted message said:

    Yep. I overdid it at first. I have moderated my training alot, now doing 3
    short runs and one longer run per week, but only a total of about 15 miles.

    Thanks for your advice. Is it uncommon for a person to struggle so much in
    the beginning with finding the right shoe?

    Quite common I think.

    Quoted message said:

    My husband could run in
    anything... I swear, he could strap kleenex boxes to his feet and hed be
    fine.

    Very easy for people with regular shaped feet and without pronation issues to
    find shoes to run in. Not so easy for everyone else.

    Cheers,
    --
    Elflord

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.