Re: eye protection

KLydesdale

Guest
"Paul Matthews" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have decided I need new sunglasses, and would like them to be useful on

the
> bike. I am also a hay fever sufferer so a close fitwould be good for that

too.

> I was thinking of Oakleys, but I am long sighted with a +3.5/+3.75
> prescription. Oakleys have a max of a +2 prescription.
>
> I am not too keen on the ideas of either contacts or lasers...
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Matthews
> [email protected]
> http://www.hepcats.co.uk

My favorite LBS just started carrying the Tifosi line of sport/cycling
glasses. Being a corrective lens wearer, I was pleased to see that they had
one model available with an RX insert. They look like a nice product for
the money - I was surprised at how reasonably priced they were: $30 US for
the glasses with one lens set and $15 for the Rx insert. For that price
you could buy several glasses with different color lenses and one insert to
swap between them and still come out way ahead for what you'd pay for
Oakleys or Rudy Projects.

On 2004-06-29, KLydesdale penned:

> My favorite LBS just started carrying the Tifosi line of sport/cycling
> glasses. Being a corrective lens wearer, I was pleased to see that
> they had one model available with an RX insert. They look like a nice
> product for the money - I was surprised at how reasonably priced they
> were: $30 US for the glasses with one lens set and $15 for the Rx
> insert. For that price you could buy several glasses with different
> color lenses and one insert to swap between them and still come out
> way ahead for what you'd pay for Oakleys or Rudy Projects.

But ... but ... my RPs *look* cool! And stuff. They make me pedal
faster, I swear!

Okay, maybe not. It *is* nice to have interchangeable lenses rather
than multiple whole frames to carry around, but I have friends with
super-cheap interchangeables, too.

I suspect that a decent opt-whatever shop could make an insert for just
about any model; I'm sure it would cost, though.

--
monique

<snip>
> I suspect that a decent opt-whatever shop could make an insert for just
> about any model; I'm sure it would cost, though.

A great many glasses shops also make prescription safety glasses for
industrial use. Nowdays safety glasses look like "regular" eyeglasses
or sunglasses and can be had from 50$ up to 350$.

But I'm a bit paranoid about being blind (and I have to have safety
glasses for work, so I already own them)