Re: Eye Round Roast.....

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael Odom, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:14:59 -0500, TJ <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any ideas for how to cook an Eye Round Roast? Should I treat it like
    >Brisket and use some of the recipes suggested here ?.......I have
    >never cooked this kind of meat before.....it's a relatively cheap cut
    >of meat so I guess if you just put in the oven and cook it till done
    >it will probably come out tough as hell....
    >
    >TJ

    I posted this in July of '98:

    [begin quote]

    I got an eye of round roast, poked holes in it with a knife, and
    stuffed it with slivers of garlic. Much garlic. No more garlic than
    that, even. The plan was to cook it outside to avoid heating the
    house with stove/oven fires.

    Then I made a marinade of:

    1/4 cup brown sugar
    6-8 pepper corns
    2 cloves
    2 dried chiles (medium hot, red ones like japones)
    1 stalk lemongrass, minced
    juice of 2 limes
    1 Tblsp nuoc mam
    1/4 lime with zest, minced
    (approximate measures)

    All this was buzzed in the blender and poured over the garlicky beef.

    I drank one glass of water and opened a beer.

    I grilled the roast to an internal temp of 140F (about 37F higher than
    the air's temp, BTW), and let it rest.

    While it was grilling, I sliced radishes, red onion, and cucumber.
    Put these into a bowl and splashed them with rice wine vinegar. Then
    I made a vinaigrette of fresh basil (almost burned up, but still there
    in spots of the garden), fresh mint (bullet proof, that mint), frsh
    red chiles (medium hot hybrid), lime juice, nuoc mam, and olive oil.
    Just before the meat was hot enough in the center, I put a trimmed
    bunch of green onions on to char them moderately. As the meat rested,
    I heated a couple of loaves of French bread on the grill.

    I sliced the beef as thin as possible and invited the family to make
    sandwiches with lettuce, the cooled beef, the marinated veg, the green
    onoins, and the vinaigrette.

    [end quote]

    Looking back on it, I'd say that 140F is too warm. Better more rare
    than that, I'd say.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore