Re: Feeding the brats

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by AlleyGator, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Dog3 <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

    >I have to feed Missy and Shelly and Hoot my crock pot of beans is coming
    >along fine.
    >
    >Michael
    >
    >--
    >Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
    >violence.
    > -- Hebrew proverb

    Oh. I thought that was "brawts" not braats. Was hoping to see a
    crockpot Brawt recipe :>).

    Tags:

  2. -L.

    -L. Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > Dog3 <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
    >
    > >I have to feed Missy and Shelly and Hoot my crock pot of beans is

    coming
    > >along fine.
    > >
    > >Michael
    > >
    > >--
    > >Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest

    > >violence.
    > > -- Hebrew proverb

    > Oh. I thought that was "brawts" not braats. Was hoping to see a
    > crockpot Brawt recipe :>).

    Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
    full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
    with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
    so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

    -L.

  3. "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
    >full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
    >with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
    >so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

    I'm not sure that it has a name. Basically, it's angle-cut Polish sausage
    with big chunks onion and green pepper. I'd brown the sausages just a bit,
    then add a little oil, if needed, and saute all three ingredients together.
    Polish sausage with sauerkraut is really good, too. I hated Polish sausage
    until the past 10 years or so.

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  4. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Yup, I got fed up with Charter and signed on with Individual.net.
    >
    >Carol

    Good move, Carol. I like 'em a lot. Jeez I hope they really make a
    go of it. I think I'd gladly pay them 20 or 30 euros instead of 10.
    I'm sick to death of chasing free news servers. And I have never
    found a news server that is propagated to so profoundly (is that a
    word?). Anyway, you get the point - I would send them a gratis
    donation if they asked for it. God bless NIN. Probably a bunch of
    poor college kids who could really use the extra cash.

  5. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    > >Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
    > >full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else)

    laden
    > >with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't

    think
    > >so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

    > I'm not sure that it has a name. Basically, it's angle-cut Polish

    sausage
    > with big chunks onion and green pepper. I'd brown the sausages just

    a bit,
    > then add a little oil, if needed, and saute all three ingredients

    together.
    > Polish sausage with sauerkraut is really good, too. I hated Polish

    sausage
    > until the past 10 years or so.
    >
    > Carol

    What kind of liquid do you put in the crock? How long do you cook it?

    -L.

  6. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Dog3 wrote:

    > Gawd that sounds good. Did it have kraut in it?
    >
    > Michael /ducking

    OK, I'll bite - why are you ducking? Sauerkraut is Devil's Spoogie
    around here. Major ick!

    -L.

  7. "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >>
    >> >Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
    >> >full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else)

    >laden
    >> >with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't

    >think
    >> >so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

    >> I'm not sure that it has a name. Basically, it's angle-cut Polish

    >sausage
    >> with big chunks onion and green pepper. I'd brown the sausages just

    >a bit,
    >> then add a little oil, if needed, and saute all three ingredients

    >together.
    >> Polish sausage with sauerkraut is really good, too. I hated Polish

    >sausage
    >> until the past 10 years or so.
    >>
    >> Carol

    >What kind of liquid do you put in the crock? How long do you cook it?

    I've never made this, just eaten it at buffets. I wouldn't use a crockpot,
    myself. Seems more like a saute kind of dish. You could keep it hot in
    the crockpot for serving. I suspect that that is what your neighbor did.

    Carol

  8. Maverick

    Maverick Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > AlleyGator wrote:
    >> Dog3 <[email protected];ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have to feed Missy and Shelly and Hoot my crock pot of beans is

    > coming
    >> >along fine.
    >> >
    >> >Michael
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest

    >> >violence.
    >> > -- Hebrew proverb

    >> Oh. I thought that was "brawts" not braats. Was hoping to see a
    >> crockpot Brawt recipe :>).

    > Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
    > full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
    > with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
    > so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?
    >
    > -L.

    That looks like what my 100% Polish grandfather used to make every Christmas
    Eve when he was alive. I quit looking into the crockpot after age 10 or so
    since I didn't particularly like it so I can't say for certain it's the same
    thing but my GF's crockpot was definitely polish sausage.

    Bret

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote

    > Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
    > full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
    > with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
    > so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

    Sounds a heck of a lot like Italian hotdogs, except no potatoes and no
    rolls. And, of course, hotdogs, not polish sausage. Sound easy enough
    to make.

    nancy

  10. "-L." wrote ...
    > Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
    > full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
    > with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
    > so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?
    >
    > -L.

    Perhaps the following recipes would help you come up with a recipe.

    Pam
    SAUSAGE, PEPPERS AND POTATOES (Bon Appetit 6/87)

    6 servings

    2 1/3 lb baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes

    2 lb sweet Italian sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces

    4 large green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 3-inch pieces

    2 large onions, sliced

    1 Tbsp olive oil

    Salt and pepper to taste

    Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine potatoes, sausage, peppers and onions in a
    12x18 ovenproof glass baking dish. Drizzle with oil. Season with salt and
    pepper. Bake until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 50
    minutes.

    POLSKA KIELBASA AND CABBAGE (rec.food.cooking 1/7/99 - Wes Wolfe)

    1 head cabbage

    1 lb Hillshire Farms Polska Kielbasa

    1/2 C vinegar (I like Balsamic)

    1 T sugar

    1 large onion

    1 T oil

    Slice onion and cook in oil until soft, in a large pan. Thoroughly mix
    remaining ingredients except the kielbasa and place in Dutch oven. Layer
    kielbasa on top of cabbage, cover and simmer for 14-20 minutes until cabbage
    is soft.

  11. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote:
    > "-L." wrote ...
    > > Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock

    pot
    > > full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else)

    laden
    > > with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't

    think
    > > so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?
    > >
    > > -L.
    > >

    > Perhaps the following recipes would help you come up with a recipe.
    >
    > Pam

    <snip>

    Thanks for the recipes. The one I referred to was definitely a
    slow-cooked dish, and had a lot of liquid in the crockpot. I'm
    wondering what kind of liquid & spices were used...possibly beer (?)
    and/or apple juice or something like that...(?)

    -L.