Re: Feeding the brats

AlleyGator

Guest
Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

>I have to feed Missy and Shelly and Hoot my crock pot of beans is coming
>along fine.
>
>Michael
>
>--
>Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest
>violence.
> -- Hebrew proverb

Oh. I thought that was "brawts" not braats. Was hoping to see a
crockpot Brawt recipe :>).

AlleyGator wrote:
> Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
>
> >I have to feed Missy and Shelly and Hoot my crock pot of beans is

coming
> >along fine.
> >
> >Michael
> >
> >--
> >Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest

> >violence.
> > -- Hebrew proverb

> Oh. I thought that was "brawts" not braats. Was hoping to see a
> crockpot Brawt recipe :>).

Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

-L.

"-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
>full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
>with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
>so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

I'm not sure that it has a name. Basically, it's angle-cut Polish sausage
with big chunks onion and green pepper. I'd brown the sausages just a bit,
then add a little oil, if needed, and saute all three ingredients together.
Polish sausage with sauerkraut is really good, too. I hated Polish sausage
until the past 10 years or so.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>Yup, I got fed up with Charter and signed on with Individual.net.
>
>Carol

Good move, Carol. I like 'em a lot. Jeez I hope they really make a
go of it. I think I'd gladly pay them 20 or 30 euros instead of 10.
I'm sick to death of chasing free news servers. And I have never
found a news server that is propagated to so profoundly (is that a
word?). Anyway, you get the point - I would send them a gratis
donation if they asked for it. God bless NIN. Probably a bunch of
poor college kids who could really use the extra cash.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
> >full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else)

laden
> >with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't

think
> >so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

> I'm not sure that it has a name. Basically, it's angle-cut Polish

sausage
> with big chunks onion and green pepper. I'd brown the sausages just

a bit,
> then add a little oil, if needed, and saute all three ingredients

together.
> Polish sausage with sauerkraut is really good, too. I hated Polish

sausage
> until the past 10 years or so.
>
> Carol

What kind of liquid do you put in the crock? How long do you cook it?

-L.

Dog3 wrote:

> Gawd that sounds good. Did it have kraut in it?
>
> Michael /ducking

OK, I'll bite - why are you ducking? Sauerkraut is Devil's Spoogie
around here. Major ick!

-L.

"-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>> >Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
>> >full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else)

>laden
>> >with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't

>think
>> >so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

>> I'm not sure that it has a name. Basically, it's angle-cut Polish

>sausage
>> with big chunks onion and green pepper. I'd brown the sausages just

>a bit,
>> then add a little oil, if needed, and saute all three ingredients

>together.
>> Polish sausage with sauerkraut is really good, too. I hated Polish

>sausage
>> until the past 10 years or so.
>>
>> Carol

>What kind of liquid do you put in the crock? How long do you cook it?

I've never made this, just eaten it at buffets. I wouldn't use a crockpot,
myself. Seems more like a saute kind of dish. You could keep it hot in
the crockpot for serving. I suspect that that is what your neighbor did.

Carol

"-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> AlleyGator wrote:
>> Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
>>
>> >I have to feed Missy and Shelly and Hoot my crock pot of beans is

> coming
>> >along fine.
>> >
>> >Michael
>> >
>> >--
>> >Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest

>> >violence.
>> > -- Hebrew proverb

>> Oh. I thought that was "brawts" not braats. Was hoping to see a
>> crockpot Brawt recipe :>).

> Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
> full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
> with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
> so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?
>
> -L.

That looks like what my 100% Polish grandfather used to make every Christmas
Eve when he was alive. I quit looking into the crockpot after age 10 or so
since I didn't particularly like it so I can't say for certain it's the same
thing but my GF's crockpot was definitely polish sausage.

Bret

"-L." <[email protected]> wrote

> Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
> full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
> with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
> so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?

Sounds a heck of a lot like Italian hotdogs, except no potatoes and no
rolls. And, of course, hotdogs, not polish sausage. Sound easy enough
to make.

nancy

"-L." wrote ...
> Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock pot
> full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else) laden
> with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't think
> so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?
>
> -L.

Perhaps the following recipes would help you come up with a recipe.

Pam
SAUSAGE, PEPPERS AND POTATOES (Bon Appetit 6/87)

6 servings

2 1/3 lb baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes

2 lb sweet Italian sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces

4 large green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 3-inch pieces

2 large onions, sliced

1 Tbsp olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine potatoes, sausage, peppers and onions in a
12x18 ovenproof glass baking dish. Drizzle with oil. Season with salt and
pepper. Bake until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 50
minutes.

POLSKA KIELBASA AND CABBAGE (rec.food.cooking 1/7/99 - Wes Wolfe)

1 head cabbage

1 lb Hillshire Farms Polska Kielbasa

1/2 C vinegar (I like Balsamic)

1 T sugar

1 large onion

1 T oil

Slice onion and cook in oil until soft, in a large pan. Thoroughly mix
remaining ingredients except the kielbasa and place in Dutch oven. Layer
kielbasa on top of cabbage, cover and simmer for 14-20 minutes until cabbage
is soft.

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby wrote:
> "-L." wrote ...
> > Speaking of which, when my Mom died someone brought over a crock

pot
> > full of of Polish (?) sausage (might have been something else)

laden
> > with onions and peppers. Possibly had tomatoes too, but I don't

think
> > so. It was wonderful. Anyone know what this might have been?
> >
> > -L.
> >

> Perhaps the following recipes would help you come up with a recipe.
>
> Pam

<snip>

Thanks for the recipes. The one I referred to was definitely a
slow-cooked dish, and had a lot of liquid in the crockpot. I'm
wondering what kind of liquid & spices were used...possibly beer (?)
and/or apple juice or something like that...(?)

-L.