Re: Finally getting traction against the Adventure Pass (Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act)

Slack

Guest
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:20:41 -0700, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/opinions/ci_4345154
>
> "Judge Pyle said the USFS often ignores restrictions in the law which
> prohibit charging fees for '1) solely parking; 2) general access; 3)
> dispersed areas; 4) traveling without using facilities or services; 5)
> camping at undeveloped sites; 6) overlooks or scenic pullouts ...' On
> Page 14, the judge wrote: 'Clearly Congress intended that the public
> have free access to undeveloped federal lands for purposes of
> recreation, including hiking.'"
>
> About time. Don't buy Adventure Passes or Northwest Forest Passes or
> whatever the equivalent is in your town. If you get a NON, fight it or
> send it to your congressperson. It's illegal for the USFS to charge
> fees for access to undeveloped federal lands.
>
> Greg

Cool, but one question: what [exactly] does "undeveloped" mean? I.E., can
they slap a park bench and bathroom on the property and now call it
developed.
--
Slack

Slack wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:20:41 -0700, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/opinions/ci_4345154
>>
>> "Judge Pyle said the USFS often ignores restrictions in the law which
>> prohibit charging fees for '1) solely parking; 2) general access; 3)
>> dispersed areas; 4) traveling without using facilities or services;
>> 5) camping at undeveloped sites; 6) overlooks or scenic pullouts ...'
>> On Page 14, the judge wrote: 'Clearly Congress intended that the
>> public have free access to undeveloped federal lands for purposes of
>> recreation, including hiking.'"
>>
>> About time. Don't buy Adventure Passes or Northwest Forest Passes or
>> whatever the equivalent is in your town. If you get a NON, fight it
>> or send it to your congressperson. It's illegal for the USFS to
>> charge fees for access to undeveloped federal lands.
>>
>> Greg

> Cool, but one question: what [exactly] does "undeveloped" mean? I.E.,
> can they slap a park bench and bathroom on the property and now call
> it developed.

Probably. I don't mind paying to park at a trailhead that has an actual
parking lot, bathrooms, trashcan, and maybe water and picnic tables,
just like I don't mind paying to camp in a campground with the above. I
do mind paying to park on the side of the highway to eat a sandwich or
take a picture.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven