Re: First ride on new KH 24

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Jerad, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Jerad

    Jerad Guest

    My KH 24 showed up yesterday afternoon. Family obligations prevented me
    from doing any real riding yesterday, but I did get out for an hour this
    morning before work.

    I love this unicycle! The difference between this and my Torker CX is
    unbelievable. The Snafu pedals are worlds better than the plastic ones
    on my Torker. The fatty tire just rocks. I feel like I can roll or hop
    over anything.

    I am a little bummed, as I do have some slippage of the axle within the
    hub as a few others have described. Not sure what to do about that.
    How have those of you with this problem dealt with it? Right now it
    only moves about 2-3 degrees, is it likely to get worse over time?

    In spite of the hub problem, I am still on cloud nine. I can't wait to
    get out and hit some real trails.

    --
    Jerad
    Jerad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7005

  2. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    Jerad wrote:
    > *
    > I am a little bummed, as I do have some slippage of the axle within
    > the hub as a few others have described. Not sure what to do about
    > that. How have those of you with this problem dealt with it? Right
    > now it only moves about 2-3 degrees, is it likely to get worse over
    > time?
    > *

    Don't ride it when it's loose! Go to a auto store and pick up some
    copper antisieze. A small bottle will last a life time. remove the
    cranks and coat the axle with a nice helping of copper colored cream.
    Reinstall the cranks and tighten them up nicely. The antisieze will
    first allow you to get the cranks on tighter and will prevent them from
    seizing if you ever want to get them off. I did this to my KH wheelset
    and I've had no problem since.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
    on the right"
    Sig count: 2

    04.05.23 11214
    04.05.25 11284
    04.05.26 11329

  3. Jerad

    Jerad Guest

    My problem is not actually the cranks. It is the axle itself slipping
    inside the hub. The cranks are snug, absolutely no play in them
    whatsoever. I can grab the pedals with my hands and apply rotational
    force (simulating pedaling) with the wheel held in place (me sitting on
    it) and move the entire axle/crank assembly about 2-3 degrees back and
    forth, it is quite obvious that the axle is moving independently of the
    hub. It doesn't affect my riding much, but is rather an annoyance as
    anytime alternating forward/backward pressure is applied while pedaling
    I can feel the slop as the axle spins the little bit.

    Others have mentioned tapping the axle out of the hub and coating it
    with Loctite, but honestly I am a little hesitant to do this to a
    unicycle I paid $450 for and noticed the problem the first time I rode
    it (this morning). I will of course contact unicycle.com and ask what
    they suggest, I was just wondering if others had already spoken with
    them and if so, what was suggested?

    --
    Jerad
    Jerad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7005

  4. onewheeldave

    onewheeldave Guest

    This seems to be happening a lot with KH's and other splined set-ups.

    I find it bizarre that such relatively expensive unicycles are shipped
    out in a state where they're basically unusable (if riding splined
    set-ups that are loose is as damaging as it is with square tapers).

    Luckily, the type of riding I do doesn't require a splined set-up; if it
    did I'd be concerned because I'd be quite reluctant to order one, given
    the current state of the models being shipped out.

    (I know that square tapers also suffer from loose cranks when new, but
    it seems they're a lot easier to fix, with less special tools needed-
    also, IMO all unis, whether square taper or splined, should be shipped
    out with everything tight)

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

  5. jagur

    jagur Guest

    Jerad wrote:
    > *
    > I am a little bummed, as I do have some slippage of the axle within
    > the hub as a few others have described. Not sure what to do about
    > that*

    send it back! its defective. the first run did not have this problem.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/fc_1.jpg]

    -Forget_Your_Life-

  6. Jerad

    Jerad Guest

    Honestly if my problem were just loose cranks, I would be much less
    worried than I am about this. Unfortunately, there is nothing to my
    knowledge that I can tighten that will make my problem go away. Just so
    everyone understands exactly what is happening here, if I were to take
    my cranks completely off, I could grab the end of the axle with my
    fingers and rotate it back and forth inside the hub. Nothing to do with
    the cranks really.

    I was very reluctant to order the KH 24 for this exact reason. After
    talking to unicycle.com on the phone before ordering they eased my
    concern by saying that they are aware of and checking each unicycle for
    these problems before shipping. I guess they missed mine :( I was
    hoping I would get lucky and not get a faulty one, I should have known
    better.

    I was going to order the qu-ax from Roland as I haven't heard of this
    happening with that hub, but ordered the KH instead since the wait would
    be shorter. I'm kind of wondering if I made the right choice.

    I still love the uniycle, just bummed to have problems after spending
    what to me is a lot of money. I will call unicycle.com tomorrow.

    --
    Jerad
    Jerad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7005

  7. MUNIYETI

    MUNIYETI Guest

    Like Jagr sez " Send it back!".... there is no way that there should be
    movement where you describe ...and with the kind of torque the Muni hub
    gets, it will probably break loose totally in very short order ...

    --
    MUNIYETI - The Abominable MUnicyclist
    MUNIYETI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4183

  8. xtremeskier_

    xtremeskier_ Guest

    Jerad wrote:
    > * I will call unicycle.com tomorrow. *

    Please let us know what they say.

    I am also having this same problem. I could never figure out what it was
    until i read your post. It has always kinda bothered me, but i kept
    thinkin it was the cranks and id keep puttin the anti seize on em, but
    it wouldnt get any better. finally i just gave up and ive kinda gotten
    used to it. It doesnt bother me very much, but If its possible that the
    axel could slip completely and send me into a freewheel at any givin
    moment, thats not cool:(. Im hoping unicycle.com will help us out with
    this, but I dont want to have to send my whole uni in. Would it be
    possible for them to just give us new axels, or do you guys think the
    whole hub needs to be replaced?

    Anyways, yea call em up and lemme know whats goin on. The amount i spent
    on this uni is a lot of $$$ to me also, so I dont like it having
    problems right out of the box...

    --
    xtremeskier_ - I <3 my KH24
    xtremeskier_'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4291

  9. MuniTune

    MuniTune Guest

    I just ordered a 24 qu-ax with splined... hopin the same thing doesn't
    happen to me. (when people say stuff like this has been happening, do
    you mean just on the KH's?)

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    R.
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773

  10. tennisgh22

    tennisgh22 Guest

    how can i check to see if i have this problem on my kh24? ive had the
    standard clicking, but the antiseize didn't seem to fix it. Do i have to
    take off the cranks to be able to notice the problem?

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22 - I worship my kh24

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  11. Jerad

    Jerad Guest

    I just got off the phone with unicycle.com, I talked to someone named
    Drew. I am very dissapointed in the response I received. Here is what
    they said:

    Initially Drew told me to take it to my local bike shop and ask them to
    "tighten" the hub. I am not sure what he means by that (and Drew
    couldn't tell me either), but he said that the bike shop would know what
    it means and how to do it. He said they would have the "special tools"
    required to make the repair.

    I mentioned that my local bike shop has absolutely no experience with
    unicycles of any kind, he still said they would know what to do.

    I thought this hub/axle assembly was a press fitting with no adjustment
    on the hub itself, am I wrong? Does anyone know what adjustments or
    special tools they might be talking about?

    He also said I could send the wheel back to them and they could make the
    repair, but they would not cover any shipping costs as it is not a
    unicycle.com problem, it is a factory problem. I asked if I should
    contact someone else (i.e. the factory) to make a warranty claim if
    unicycle.com isn't handling theses claims. He said it is not a warranty
    issue since they do not consider it a defect, the hub was just not
    properly tightened at the factory.

    I told him that I asked Robbie about this issue when I made my order.
    Robbie told me that they check each KH 24 for this problem before
    sending them out, and if I had problems, unicycle.com would stand behind
    the product as there is a warranty.

    I asked if they would reimburse me any charges incurred at my local bike
    shop, he didn't know if they would, and wasn't authorized to make that
    decision. I asked if I could speak with Amy since she could make that
    decision, but she is out of town and not returning until next week.

    I asked if I am likely to cause damage to the hub if I continue to ride
    it, he told me he would have to ask Robbie and call me back.

    When they called me back, Drew said that he had just talked to Amy and
    she said to loosen the pinch bolts and then tighen the axle bolt as
    tight as I can, and then tighten the pinch bolts back up. He said Amy
    told him this has resolved the problem for some (I am skeptical that
    this relates to my particular problem, but I will do as they ask). Amy
    said that if this doesn't fix the problem, to call them back and they
    will take care of it from that point. This made me feel a little
    better, I hope they stand behind their word.

    Sorry about the long post, I just want others to possibly benefit from
    my experiences so far. In reading the forums I have found that we are
    by far our own best support network and this information is presented in
    that spirit.

    Jerad

    --
    Jerad
    Jerad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7005

  12. Jerad

    Jerad Guest

    MuniTune -
    I have not heard of this problem with the qu-ax. I was actually going
    to order the qu-ax myself to avoid this problem. I emailed Roland at
    municycle.com when I was researching and he said he has not seen any
    problems with the qu-ax hub/axle/cranks.

    The only reason I ordered the KH 24 was that it would take less time to
    get to me.

    I think you made the right choice, let us know what you think of the
    qu-ax when you get it. I think the yellow flanges on the hub look
    wicked.

    --
    Jerad
    Jerad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7005

  13. tennisgh22

    tennisgh22 Guest

    jerad, that sounded awful up until the point where amy said she'd take
    care of it!

    i find it hard to believe that they can ship out a unicycle, but not
    take responsibility if it is not in working condition. they are the
    middleman between the factory and you; if something goes wrong its their
    fault, not the factory. anyways, good luck with it, i hope you dont end
    up wishing you got the qu-ax.

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22 - I worship my kh24

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  14. markw

    markw Guest

    onewheeldave wrote:
    > *This seems to be happening a lot with KH's and other splined set-ups.
    > *

    That's the way rumours start. I've only seen comments against the latest
    batch of KHs. Nothing wrong with Qu-Ax, Onza, Profile etc.

    Regards,
    Mark.

    --
    markw - Frustrated RSU Emailer
    markw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5704

  15. ethilien

    ethilien Guest

    I just got a new KH24 on tuesday, and I haven't noticed any play in the
    axle or anything. I can hold the wheel still and the pedals won't move
    at all without wigling the wheel. I guess I just got lucky :D , I'm
    sorry yours isn't working out :(, its a sweet uni :cool: (very large
    though :eek: . I could hardly get on it as I'm used to being able to
    stand over my old 20" uni ;) )

    Good luck on repairs :)

    --
    ethilien - I got my KH24 (boy is it huge!)
    ethilien's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6984

  16. markw

    markw Guest

    tennisgh22 wrote:
    > *if something goes wrong its their fault, not the factory. *

    Indeed. In UK law at least (I don't see it being different in the US),
    the contract is between the buyer and the seller. I'm sure Unicycle.Com
    are quite frustrated about things at the factory but that's their
    problem.

    I assume Drew is a junior member of Unicycle.Com staff - but they need
    to be aware that people making comments like that and having them
    reported on this group could do their business a lot of damage. :-(

    Regards,
    Mark.

    --
    markw - Frustrated RSU Emailer
    markw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5704

  17. jagur

    jagur Guest

    tennisgh22 wrote:
    > *good luck with it, i hope you dont end up wishing you got the qu-ax.*

    im sure he already is wishing for the Qu-ax. the sad thing is it would
    just be somone elses problem if Jerad didnt buy that KH, at least this
    way we get to hear about it. i wonder how many there are that we dont.

    Somday the Qu-ax hub will be available in the US from a closer source. i
    hope they get around to making a 36 hole version too,since so far there
    is only 48 hole.

    Jerad,

    doing what Amy said to do with the cranks will help some but not you.
    use that finger moving the axle with the cranx off description when you
    talk to them again. it sounds like Drew just thinks your another caller
    with loose cranks. best to wait and talk to Amy or John. dont bother
    calling between 1:30 and 4:00pm their time, they are always dealing with
    UPS stuff at that time. call early.

    check your PM's for another message.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/fc_1.jpg]

    -Forget_Your_Life-

  18. xtremeskier_

    xtremeskier_ Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *Amy said to loosen the pinch bolts and then tighen the axle bolt as
    > tight as I can, and then tighten the pinch bolts back up. Amy said
    > that if this doesn't fix the problem, to call them back and they will
    > take care of it from that point. *

    Alright, so you've tried that and it didnt work ofcourse, and you are
    going to call them back tomorrow then? Should I and the rest of us who
    are having this problem call too, or should we see what kinda luck you
    have first?

    --
    xtremeskier_ - I <3 my KH24
    xtremeskier_'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4291

  19. MuniTune

    MuniTune Guest

    > i hope they get around to making a 36 hole version too,since so far
    > there is only 48 hole.

    Do you just want the 36 hole version so it will fit other things or is
    it better than 48? I thought 48 would be better (but then again, I
    don't really know that much).

    > I think you made the right choice, let us know what you think of the
    > qu-ax when you get it. I think the yellow flanges on the hub look
    > wicked.

    I'll definately let everyone know how the new uni treats me when it gets
    here. I also have to say that so far, Roland has offered only the very
    best customer service too. (SUPER fast e-mail responses). Can't wait
    for my new uni!

    --
    MuniTune - Bluto

    R.
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773

  20. > Should I and the rest of us who are having this problem call too, or
    > should we see what kinda luck you have first?

    If you have a problem call. The more the more likely you are to be
    taken seriously. I'm pretty sure unicycle.com *have* to either refund or
    replace the defective/damaged parts or at least repair them, although
    that doesn't sound like an option in your case. Just keep on and on and
    on at them until your problem is solved. If they're blaming the factory-
    so what? It's not your fault they buy and sell on defective products. It
    should be a hassle free dealing. I had a dodgy hub from unicycle.uk.com
    and they apologised immediately and had it fixed right away and covered
    for P&P.

    > I'll definately let everyone know how the new uni treats me when it
    > gets here. I also have to say that so far, Roland has offered only the
    > very best customer service too. (SUPER fast e-mail responses). Can't
    > wait for my new uni!

    I've bought a fair bit of stuff from Roland, including a 29er (which is
    awesome!!!) he built for me and I have only great things to say about
    him, his shop and his service. Fast detailed replies with pics etc.
    Tells you why certain things aren't available and looks for other
    options etc etc etc and really goes the extra mile. Sounds like
    unicycle.com US should take a leaf from his book...

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

    Idiot." - John Foss

    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832