Re: First ride on new KH 24

xtremeskier.

get your quotes straight, in your last post you quoted what Amy said to
Drew on the phone from Jerad's post and stuck my name on it...?

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/fc_1.jpg]

-Forget_Your_Life-

> im sure he already is wishing for the Qu-ax. the sad thing is it would
> just be somone elses problem if Jerad didnt buy that KH, at least this
> way we get to hear about it.

True. I would rather myself have this problem and help others in a
similar situation.

I agree with OWS about calling if you are having problems. If
unicycle.com is aware that this is a fairly common problem this run and
can back it up with claims from customers and faulty samples they will
have more leverage should they need to pursue this further with the
manufacturer.

MuniTune:
I personally am not concerned with wether the hub has 36 or 48 holes.
It is hard to find a 24" 48 hole rim that is appropriate for Muni in the
states (I am not aware of any), but if you need a new rim down the road
you can order the halo combat from Roland. I have heard others mention
that you can lace a 48 hole hub into a 36 spoke rim (seams reasonable
enough, you would have 6 unused holes on each side, although I am not
sure which 6 those would be). I was actually *attracted* to the fact
that the qu-ax has 48 spokes, I'll take all the strength I can get (this
stuff ain't cheap man!).

xtremeskier_:
I will continue to work with unicycle.com and report back on my
progress. I will likely not call them tomorrow, as I would probably be
talking to the same folks I spoke with today. I will try to deal with
Amy as much as possible since I know what she says goes(she is the CEO
ya know).

--
Jerad
Jerad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7005

markw wrote:
> *
> That's the way rumours start. I've only seen comments against the
> latest batch of KHs. Nothing wrong with Qu-Ax, Onza, Profile etc.
>
> Regards,
> Mark. *

Unfortunately it is a fairly common problem. I have personally had 4
different Profile hubs with loose axles, Onza has had the same problem
before, and I don't know about Qu-Ax and have not heard of any problems
with them, but it's certainly possible because all these hubs are built
in the same way.

The challenge is making sure quality control is done properly at the
factory, and if tolerances are out by only 1 or 2 thousands of an inch,
then there can be play in the system. Since the samples I tested
were perfect, it's a tough thing for me to prevent. I thought I had
solved the problem from a design perspective by using multiple keyways
to secure the axle in the KH hub, but clearly a few slipped through the
quality control check in Taiwan and at Unicycle.com.

I have contacted the manufacturer and arranged for replacement hubs to
be shipped to Unicycle.com and Bedford Unicycles. This will take a
little time though, and unfortunately means that the wheel needs to be
rebuilt with a new hub.

Considering this, it's probably worth trying to fix it, since it's not
difficult, is inexpensive, and you can do this without taking apart the
wheel. A solution that can work is to tap the axle out of the hub,
coat the axle in the strongest type of loctite, and tap it back in the
hub. Don't hammer so hard on the axle that you damage the end of the
axle, and make sure you wipe off any excess loctite outside the hub.
If this doesn't work, then the hub is still returnable for warranty.

I'm really sorry that you are having this problem! As the designer I
work hard to prevent these things from happening but it's really
difficult to cover all the potential problems. One solution is to
have everything made locally, but then the KH unis would cost $1500 like
the original pro-models did.

In future I am working on some new, better hub designs that will
hopefully solve the problem from a design perspective. In the
meantime, rest assured that both Unicycle.com and I will stand behind
the KH product and make sure you get what you paid for.

Kris Holm

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

Kris, I really appreciate your response and concern. You have put my
mind at ease. It is an unfortunate but understandable situation. These
things happen sometimes, I am glad you want to make things right. It is
reassuring to know you stand behind your products.

Jerad

--
Jerad
Jerad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7005

Ah yes this is good to hear. I do have some additional questions
though:

1) If the loctite on the axel does not fix the problem, is the muni
still safe ride? There has been some speculation about the axel slipping
completely...

2) If the loctite DOES fix the problem, should we still get the hub
replaced, or is it a permanent fix?

2) When can we expect the hubs to arrive at unicycle.com?

3) Once Unicycle.com gets the hubs, how is the process going to work? Do
we only have to send in our wheels? Will they fix our individual wheels,
or just send us now ones? How long will everything take?

Sorry for all the questions, just like to get a very clear picture of
whats gonna happen.

--
xtremeskier_ - I <3 my KH24
xtremeskier_'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4291

xtremeskier_ wrote:
> *Ah yes this is good to hear. I do have some additional questions
> though:
>
> 1) If the loctite on the axel does not fix the problem, is the muni
> still safe ride? There has been some speculation about the axel
> slipping completely...
>
> 2) If the loctite DOES fix the problem, should we still get the hub
> replaced, or is it a permanent fix?
>
> 2) When can we expect the hubs to arrive at unicycle.com?
>
> 3) Once Unicycle.com gets the hubs, how is the process going to work?
> Do we only have to send in our wheels? Will they fix our individual
> wheels, or just send us now ones? How long will everything take?
>
> Sorry for all the questions, just like to get a very clear picture of
> whats gonna happen. *

Not that it isn't theoretically possible I guess, but I have never heard
of an axle slipping completely. It seems unlikely because you would
have to completely shear all the keyways and I think you would probably
snap the cranks (or break your ankles!) before that would happen.

If loctite does solve the problem, don't worry about it- it should be
good. It's still under warranty anyway, if it comes loose again.

Regarding how you should send these back:

Basically, do what you need to do so that you're happy with the product.
If you want to just send the hub back, do that. If you want to send
your wheel, do that and Unicycle.com will make sure that it is built
onto a good hub and returned to you. Don't send the whole unicycle.

The main factor is time, because it takes time to get the wheels built
and the replacement hubs haven't arrived from Taiwan yet. So fixing
it yourself will save a lot of time and get you riding sooner-
definately worth trying first.

Kris.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

I'd send the whole wheel back, then you don't have to worry about having
to go to the trouble of having it rebuilt and you shouldn't have to
cover *any* costs for the process, including paying a wheel builder.

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

Idiot." - John Foss

one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832