Re: First trip to Tibet: looking for advice

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
> Has anybody here been out to Tibet? We're cycling from Lhasa to Kathmandu
> next month, and I'm wondering how often we will come across luxuries such
> as water and electricity.
>
> In fact water is the lesser of my worries, but I'm wondering if I'll be
> able to recharge my digital camera. I took a film camera to Nepal a
> couple of years ago, but it's bulky and it's getting increasingly
> difficult to carry film through airport checks.
>
> Oh, and the guide company are asking us if we want to hire a cook. Is it
> worthwhile, or will we be able to find places to eat along the way?
>
> thanks for any advice.

My best advice to you is to stay home there in your tiny kingdom by the sea.
The days of the British raj are long gone and you need to get accustomed to
your reduced status in the world.

In any event, cycling is totally insane in a mountainous area like Nepal and
Tibet. Trek like everyone else you confounded moron. I swear to God, there
are no stupider folks in the world than the Brits when they go abroad.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> > Has anybody here been out to Tibet? We're cycling from Lhasa to Kathmandu
> > next month, and I'm wondering how often we will come across luxuries such
> > as water and electricity.
> >
> > In fact water is the lesser of my worries, but I'm wondering if I'll be
> > able to recharge my digital camera. I took a film camera to Nepal a
> > couple of years ago, but it's bulky and it's getting increasingly
> > difficult to carry film through airport checks.
> >
> > Oh, and the guide company are asking us if we want to hire a cook. Is it
> > worthwhile, or will we be able to find places to eat along the way?
> >
> > thanks for any advice.

> My best advice to you is to stay home there in your tiny kingdom by the sea.
> The days of the British raj are long gone and you need to get accustomed to
> your reduced status in the world.
>
> In any event, cycling is totally insane in a mountainous area like Nepal and
> Tibet. Trek like everyone else you confounded moron. I swear to God, there
> are no stupider folks in the world than the Brits when they go abroad.

Not quite true. I've read a number of trip reports of people who has
done cycling trips in Tibet.

http://www.tibetoverland.com/
--

"Artoi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> My best advice to you is to stay home there in your tiny kingdom by the
>> sea.
>> The days of the British raj are long gone and you need to get accustomed
>> your reduced status in the world.
>>
>> In any event, cycling is totally insane in a mountainous area like Nepal
>> and
>> Tibet. Trek like everyone else you confounded moron. I swear to God,
>> there
>> are no stupider folks in the world than the Brits when they go abroad.

> Not quite true. I've read a number of trip reports of people who has
> done cycling trips in Tibet.
>
> http://www.tibetoverland.com/
> --

I see Dolan is taking his trolling farther afield. Ignore him.

There's a by Goran Kropp
http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BookGoranKroppUltimateHigh.htm
that I borrowed from the public library. In 1995, Kropp set out by bicycle
from Sweden, bicycled to the foot of Everest, and then climbed Everest
without oxygen.

I don't believe his route included Tibet, but it might be worth a look. The
book's reasonably short and there's some interesting incidents along the
way.

--
Mike Kruger
Blog: http://journals.aol.com/mikekr/ZbicyclistsZlog/

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> There's a by Goran Kropp
> http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BookGoranKroppUltimateHigh.htm
> that I borrowed from the public library. In 1995, Kropp set out by bicycle
> from Sweden, bicycled to the foot of Everest, and then climbed Everest
> without oxygen.
>
> I don't believe his route included Tibet, but it might be worth a look.
> The book's reasonably short and there's some interesting incidents along
> the way.

Is he the guy who did it the same year as lots of people died (checks, yes).
I was very impressed by his approach - seemed to be much better than the
others on the mountain that year.

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> There's a by Goran Kropp
>> http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BookGoranKroppUltimateHigh.htm
>> that I borrowed from the public library. In 1995, Kropp set out by
>> bicycle from Sweden, bicycled to the foot of Everest, and then climbed
>> Everest without oxygen.

> Is he the guy who did it the same year as lots of people died (checks,
> yes). I was very impressed by his approach - seemed to be much better than
> the others on the mountain that year.

Yes, that's the guy. After biking all that way and climbing up camp by camp,
he set a rule that if he didn't make the summit by X o'clock he was turning
back no matter what. He didn''t make the summit in time and turned back.
A major factor in the climbers who died that year is that they did not pay
attention to their turn-around time and kept going.

Kropp rested a bit, and then made the summit a few days later.

Unfortunately, Kropp died in 2002 when his gear ripped out of a crack during
a climb and he fell.

Conon the Librarian,

STUPIDER is not a word and discouragement is not a synonym for ADVICE.
Get with the program TROLL!!!

JIm McNamara

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> > Has anybody here been out to Tibet? We're cycling from Lhasa to Kathmandu
> > next month, and I'm wondering how often we will come across luxuries such
> > as water and electricity.
> >
> > In fact water is the lesser of my worries, but I'm wondering if I'll be
> > able to recharge my digital camera. I took a film camera to Nepal a
> > couple of years ago, but it's bulky and it's getting increasingly
> > difficult to carry film through airport checks.
> >
> > Oh, and the guide company are asking us if we want to hire a cook. Is it
> > worthwhile, or will we be able to find places to eat along the way?
> >
> > thanks for any advice.

> My best advice to you is to stay home there in your tiny kingdom by the sea.
> The days of the British raj are long gone and you need to get accustomed to
> your reduced status in the world.
>
> In any event, cycling is totally insane in a mountainous area like Nepal and
> Tibet. Trek like everyone else you confounded moron. I swear to God, there
> are no stupider folks in the world than the Brits when they go abroad.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

On 16 Sep 2006 06:11:46 -0700, "JimmyMac" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Conon the Librarian,
>
>STUPIDER is not a word and discouragement is not a synonym for ADVICE.
>Get with the program TROLL!!!
>
>JIm McNamara
>

>Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Hello,
>> > Has anybody here been out to Tibet? We're cycling from Lhasa to Kathmandu
>> > next month, and I'm wondering how often we will come across luxuries such
>> > as water and electricity.
>> >
>> > In fact water is the lesser of my worries, but I'm wondering if I'll be
>> > able to recharge my digital camera. I took a film camera to Nepal a
>> > couple of years ago, but it's bulky and it's getting increasingly
>> > difficult to carry film through airport checks.
>> >
>> > Oh, and the guide company are asking us if we want to hire a cook. Is it
>> > worthwhile, or will we be able to find places to eat along the way?
>> >
>> > thanks for any advice.

>> My best advice to you is to stay home there in your tiny kingdom by the sea.
>> The days of the British raj are long gone and you need to get accustomed to
>> your reduced status in the world.
>>
>> In any event, cycling is totally insane in a mountainous area like Nepal and
>> Tibet. Trek like everyone else you confounded moron. I swear to God, there
>> are no stupider folks in the world than the Brits when they go abroad.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>> aka
>> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

It may not be a dictionary word, but for good or bad, it is part of
the vernacular.

Google for "stupider" gives just over 1 million hits, while "more
stupid" a possible grammatically correct replacement, gives 1.2
million.

Mike Kruger wrote:
[]

> I see Dolan is taking his trolling farther afield. Ignore him.
>
> There's a by Goran Kropp
> http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BookGoranKroppUltimateHigh.htm
> that I borrowed from the public library. In 1995, Kropp set out by bicycle
> from Sweden, bicycled to the foot of Everest, and then climbed Everest
> without oxygen.
>
> I don't believe his route included Tibet, but it might be worth a look. The
> book's reasonably short and there's some interesting incidents along the
> way.

---Quote ---
At the end of the book he mentions future adventures that he hoped to
undertake. He did actually pursue some of them including a 2001 attempt
to ski to the south pole that ended following frostbite caused by a
polar bear attack. He intended to try again in 2004.

--- End Quote ---

Isn't this the classic "Why don't Polar bears eat Penguins?"

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> There's a by Goran Kropp
>>> http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BookGoranKroppUltimateHigh.htm
>>> that I borrowed from the public library. In 1995, Kropp set out by
>>> bicycle from Sweden, bicycled to the foot of Everest, and then climbed
>>> Everest without oxygen.

>> Is he the guy who did it the same year as lots of people died (checks,
>> yes). I was very impressed by his approach - seemed to be much better
>> than the others on the mountain that year.
>>

> Yes, that's the guy. After biking all that way and climbing up camp by
> camp, he set a rule that if he didn't make the summit by X o'clock he was
> turning back no matter what. He didn''t make the summit in time and
> turned back. A major factor in the climbers who died that year is that
> they did not pay attention to their turn-around time and kept going.
>
> Kropp rested a bit, and then made the summit a few days later.
>
> Unfortunately, Kropp died in 2002 when his gear ripped out of a crack
> during a climb and he fell.

All mountain climbers die really stupid deaths sooner or later. I do not
feel the slightest sympathy for them. Hells Bells, they deserve to die for
all the stupid risks they take.

The one thing that has always puzzled me about mountain climbers is how they
are able to write such great books about their adventures on the mountains.
I have read many of their books and they are not really dumb, but they seem
to be totally lacking any common sense. To risk your life for nothing is
just about the dumbest thing you can possibly do.

Have any of you ever actually been around any mountain climbers. God, their
bravado just stinks to high heaven! I think the British climbers, although
they write the best books, are also the stupidest when it comes to taking
risks. It's like ... hey Ma, look - no brains!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"JimmyMac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

> Conon the Librarian,
>
> STUPIDER is not a word and discouragement is not a synonym for ADVICE.
> Get with the program TROLL!!!

I often make up words as I go along realizing fully that they are not always
to be found in a dictionary. Only superior types like myself should ever do
this and inferior types like Jim McNamara should never do it. He should
stick to strictly dictionary words.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Hello,
>> > Has anybody here been out to Tibet? We're cycling from Lhasa to
>> > Kathmandu
>> > next month, and I'm wondering how often we will come across luxuries
>> > such
>> > as water and electricity.
>> >
>> > In fact water is the lesser of my worries, but I'm wondering if I'll be
>> > able to recharge my digital camera. I took a film camera to Nepal a
>> > couple of years ago, but it's bulky and it's getting increasingly
>> > difficult to carry film through airport checks.
>> >
>> > Oh, and the guide company are asking us if we want to hire a cook. Is
>> > it
>> > worthwhile, or will we be able to find places to eat along the way?
>> >
>> > thanks for any advice.

>> My best advice to you is to stay home there in your tiny kingdom by the
>> sea.
>> The days of the British raj are long gone and you need to get accustomed
>> your reduced status in the world.
>>
>> In any event, cycling is totally insane in a mountainous area like Nepal
>> and
>> Tibet. Trek like everyone else you confounded moron. I swear to God,
>> there
>> are no stupider folks in the world than the Brits when they go abroad.

"Marcus Red" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Kruger wrote:
>>
>> There's a by Goran Kropp
>> http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BookGoranKroppUltimateHigh.htm
>> that I borrowed from the public library. In 1995, Kropp set out by
>> bicycle from Sweden, bicycled to the foot of Everest, and then climbed
>> Everest without oxygen.

> ---Quote ---
> At the end of the book he mentions future adventures that he hoped to
> undertake. He did actually pursue some of them including a 2001 attempt to
> ski to the south pole that ended following frostbite caused by a polar
> bear attack. He intended to try again in 2004.
>
> --- End Quote ---
>
> Isn't this the classic "Why don't Polar bears eat Penguins?"

I didn't write that bicycletouring101 article, but I did get intrigued by
the discrepancy and found this on another site:

"In 2001 Goran attempted to ski unsupported to the North Pole but had to
abandon the trip halfway through due to frostbite suffered after a polar
bear attack. He intended to tackle that trip again in the near future.
Goran's next big mission, planned for 2004, was to sail single-handedly from
Sweden through the treacherous waters of the Southern Hemisphere to
Antarctica, ski 2,400km solo to the South Pole - and make the return trip."
http://www.mountainzone.com/html/news/2002/html/1001_kropp_release.html

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "JimmyMac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!
>
> > Conon the Librarian,
> >
> > STUPIDER is not a word and discouragement is not a synonym for ADVICE.
> > Get with the program TROLL!!!

> I often make up words as I go along realizing fully that they are not always
> to be found in a dictionary. Only superior types like myself should ever do
> this and inferior types like Jim McNamara should never do it. He should
> stick to strictly dictionary words.

Inferior??? Your STUPIDER than I thought ... Jim McNamara.