Re: fixed gear chainline question

Nate Knutson

Guest
Derekcommonground wrote:
> i'm building up my first bike... i'ts got a flip flop hub and i just
> spent the evening putting in the bottom bracket, crank arms, pedals and
> put the rear wheel on... but the chainline looks pretty off to me. the
> chainring seems kind of far out, and the cog seems more towards the
> middle. i know i can't adjust the spacing on the hub otherwise i won't
> be able to use the flip flop... and there is a washer/spacer in the
> drive side of the bottom bracket i can take out, but i'm not confident
> it will be enough to make the chainline perfect. is there anything else
> i can do? i think i can get it close enough to be safe, but i'd like to
> get it as best i can.
>
> thanks,
> Derek

what hub, bb, crank, and bb width? is using a shorter spindle a
possibility? if it's not a single-ring crank, do you have the ring
mounted on the inner side? have you measured the chainline (doing this
confidently can be clumsy at first, but it's pretty easy). have you
checked frame alignment to see whether it's a contributing factor?

by saying there's a "washer/spacer" on the bb you could take out, do
you mean like a freewheel spacer that's spacing out your cup or
cartridge? if so, that should go.