Re: fixed gear chainline question

John Thompson

Guest
On 2006-11-14, Derekcommonground <[email protected]> wrote:

> i'm building up my first bike... i'ts got a flip flop hub and i just
> spent the evening putting in the bottom bracket, crank arms, pedals and
> put the rear wheel on... but the chainline looks pretty off to me. the
> chainring seems kind of far out, and the cog seems more towards the
> middle.

If you're using a single ring on a crank designed for a double, you'll
prob ably get a better chain line using the inner ring position
rather than the outer.

> i know i can't adjust the spacing on the hub otherwise i won't
> be able to use the flip flop... and there is a washer/spacer in the
> drive side of the bottom bracket i can take out, but i'm not confident
> it will be enough to make the chainline perfect. is there anything else
> i can do? i think i can get it close enough to be safe, but i'd like to
> get it as best i can.

Chainline is particularly important on a fixed gear, where a dropped
chain can get you in a whole pile o' trouble. Spend the time needed to
make it right.

--

John ([email protected])