Re:Flan pastry mix

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Alan, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi Everyone,
    My first post, so here go's I,m trying to make an strawberry tart with the
    gellitin top mix, but need some
    advice on the pastry mix.
    I know how to do a basic shortcrust but would this
    type of tart base have sugar added.

    Thanks for any help Alan.

    Tags:

  2. On Thu 20 Jan 2005 02:00:37p, Alan tittered and giggled, and giggled and
    tittered, and finally blurted out...

    > Hi Everyone,
    > My first post, so here go's I,m trying to make an strawberry tart with
    > the gellitin top mix, but need some
    > advice on the pastry mix.
    > I know how to do a basic shortcrust but would this
    > type of tart base have sugar added.
    >
    > Thanks for any help Alan.

    You might try this one:

    1 ½ tblspn Butter
    2 cups Flour
    ½ tsp Vanilla
    1 Egg Yolk
    2 Tblspn Castor Sugar
    ¼ tsp Salt

    Procedure
    Sift flour, Salt and sugar in a bowl. Rub in Butter and Egg yolk until
    well-blended. Add Vanilla and a little milk, if necessary. make a soft
    dough and keep it covered for 30 minutes. Then roll and use. This dough is
    enough for 9" to 10" pie dish. A Little more dough may be needed on a hot
    day. If too soft to roll chill it in a refrigerator.

    To line a pie dish, always keep the dough between 2 sheets of Butter paper
    to ¼ inch thickness. Then peel the top paper and invert the dough on to
    the pie dish, pat the dough in place and peel the paper off. This method
    saves the dough from sticking to the rolling pin and the board, and it is
    easier to handle.

    This dough must not be kneaded too much - just put it together lightly. If
    the dough is kneaded too much, it will become tough and the pastry would
    not be light.

    When baking the tart, blend i.e. without filling, prick well all over with
    a fork. Crumple the piece of butter paper on which the dough was rolled,
    and leave it over the dough until the pastry is half baked. Then remove it
    ad bake it until golden. hen any liquid filling has to be put in before
    baking, always brush the pastry with a beaten egg white; this will prevent
    the pastry from becoming soggy.

    Wayne

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thankyou Wayne I,ll give your recipe a try.
    Alan.
    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu 20 Jan 2005 02:00:37p, Alan tittered and giggled, and giggled and
    > tittered, and finally blurted out...
    >
    >> Hi Everyone,
    >> My first post, so here go's I,m trying to make an strawberry tart with
    >> the gellitin top mix, but need some
    >> advice on the pastry mix.
    >> I know how to do a basic shortcrust but would this
    >> type of tart base have sugar added.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help Alan.

    > You might try this one:
    >
    > 1 ½ tblspn Butter
    > 2 cups Flour
    > ½ tsp Vanilla
    > 1 Egg Yolk
    > 2 Tblspn Castor Sugar
    > ¼ tsp Salt
    >
    > Procedure
    > Sift flour, Salt and sugar in a bowl. Rub in Butter and Egg yolk until
    > well-blended. Add Vanilla and a little milk, if necessary. make a soft
    > dough and keep it covered for 30 minutes. Then roll and use. This dough is
    > enough for 9" to 10" pie dish. A Little more dough may be needed on a hot
    > day. If too soft to roll chill it in a refrigerator.
    >
    > To line a pie dish, always keep the dough between 2 sheets of Butter paper
    > to ¼ inch thickness. Then peel the top paper and invert the dough on to
    > the pie dish, pat the dough in place and peel the paper off. This method
    > saves the dough from sticking to the rolling pin and the board, and it is
    > easier to handle.
    >
    > This dough must not be kneaded too much - just put it together lightly. If
    > the dough is kneaded too much, it will become tough and the pastry would
    > not be light.
    >
    > When baking the tart, blend i.e. without filling, prick well all over with
    > a fork. Crumple the piece of butter paper on which the dough was rolled,
    > and leave it over the dough until the pastry is half baked. Then remove it
    > ad bake it until golden. hen any liquid filling has to be put in before
    > baking, always brush the pastry with a beaten egg white; this will prevent
    > the pastry from becoming soggy.
    >
    > Wayne

  4. On Thu 20 Jan 2005 03:07:37p, Alan tittered and giggled, and giggled and
    tittered, and finally blurted out...

    > Thankyou Wayne I,ll give your recipe a try.
    > Alan.

    You're welcome. Best of luck!

    Wayne

  5. I like Martha's recipe for Pate Brisee for tarts; it is a "shorter"
    crust:

    Pate Brisee

    Makes two 4-1/2-by-14-inch tarts

    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut in pieces
    1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

    1. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor,
    and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter, and process
    until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the
    machine running, add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, through
    the feed tube, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for
    more than 30 seconds.

    2. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide in two. Place each
    half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form two rectangles.
    Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.