Re: flats question

IMKen

Guest
Yep. I have been having problems of the same nature. Like you Ray, I have
many years of cycling long distance.
I have used continental tubs for many years with only normal problems but
for the last year have not been able to get many miles out of the tubs
without failure near the stem / tube junction

Ken DaVico

"Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is anyone else having a problem with flats that occur with long-stemmed
> Continental tubes? They tear right where the stem enters the tube.
>
> Or is it just me after 35 years of cycling and fixing flats?
>
> Ray
>

> I have used continental tubs for many years with only normal problems but
> for the last year have not been able to get many miles out of the tubs
> without failure near the stem / tube junction

That solves it for me. If two of you long-time guys have the same
troubles I'll buy into the "it's the tube" theory.
I've only seriously cycled for 10 years, and last spring had 4 or 5
flats in a few weeks. I thought it was because my continentals were
"old" from a couple seasons prior.

I used spinergy rims with those extenders and continental tubes. after I
used up my stock of tubes my bike shop sold me a different brand with
longer stems... no more flats but I sure was spooked on fast downhills
for the rest of the season.

I'm 52 years old and 190 lbs; I hit the pavement hard, don't bounce
very good, and don't heal as fast as I used to... I don't wanna eat any
more asphalt from a front flat on a steep hill
Eric

I have gone to heavier tubes and now not experiencing problems. I used
Conti Tubes for years and did not have problems until a year or so back. I
tried deburring the rims and really rechecking the correct installation but
the stem / tube junction continued to fail. I only use tubes for training
so it is not an issue when racing. Flats from equipment failure really
break your training sessions.
I could tell you stories about bouncing along on the hard stuff but those
were not due to a tube failure.

news:[email protected]...