Re: flats question

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by IMKen, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    Yep. I have been having problems of the same nature. Like you Ray, I have
    many years of cycling long distance.
    I have used continental tubs for many years with only normal problems but
    for the last year have not been able to get many miles out of the tubs
    without failure near the stem / tube junction

    Ken DaVico

    "Ray Plotecia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is anyone else having a problem with flats that occur with long-stemmed
    > Continental tubes? They tear right where the stem enters the tube.
    >
    > Or is it just me after 35 years of cycling and fixing flats?
    >
    > Ray

    Tags:

  2. Eric

    Eric Guest

    > I have used continental tubs for many years with only normal problems but
    > for the last year have not been able to get many miles out of the tubs
    > without failure near the stem / tube junction

    That solves it for me. If two of you long-time guys have the same
    troubles I'll buy into the "it's the tube" theory.
    I've only seriously cycled for 10 years, and last spring had 4 or 5
    flats in a few weeks. I thought it was because my continentals were
    "old" from a couple seasons prior.

    I used spinergy rims with those extenders and continental tubes. after I
    used up my stock of tubes my bike shop sold me a different brand with
    longer stems... no more flats but I sure was spooked on fast downhills
    for the rest of the season.

    I'm 52 years old and 190 lbs; I hit the pavement hard, don't bounce
    very good, and don't heal as fast as I used to... I don't wanna eat any
    more asphalt from a front flat on a steep hill
    Eric

  3. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    I have gone to heavier tubes and now not experiencing problems. I used
    Conti Tubes for years and did not have problems until a year or so back. I
    tried deburring the rims and really rechecking the correct installation but
    the stem / tube junction continued to fail. I only use tubes for training
    so it is not an issue when racing. Flats from equipment failure really
    break your training sessions.
    I could tell you stories about bouncing along on the hard stuff but those
    were not due to a tube failure.

    news:[email protected]