Re: Folding Bikes

Geoff Lane

Guest
Cross posted to uk.rec.cycling because people on there probably know a lot
more about folding bikes than do most caravanners. Follow-up set to
uk.rec.caravanning ...

"Capt T" <[email protected]> wrote in news:48307153$1_1@mk-nntp-
2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

> Can anyone recommend a budget priced Folding Mountain Bike?

Depends what you want the MTB for, why you want a folder, and what you
consider to be "budget priced".

If the MTB is for more than the odd forestry gravel track, I wouldn't get a
cheap folder (because it might fold when I didn't want it to). Dahon do
some nice folders, but they are not what I expect you'd call "budget-
priced".

If you only want a folder to get it inside a caravan, and have ten minutes
assembly time once you're on site, you could take the wheels off, turn the
handlebars, collapse the seatpost, remove the pedals, and then cover the
transmission to protect the caravan furnishings. Of course, if you want to
carry the bike around (say, on a train), partial dismantling isn't an
option.

However, I'm hoping that someone on uk.rec.cycling can come up with much
better advice than I can give.

Geoff

"Geoff Lane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cross posted to uk.rec.cycling because people on there probably know a lot
> more about folding bikes than do most caravanners. Follow-up set to
> uk.rec.caravanning ...
>
> "Capt T" <[email protected]> wrote in news:48307153$1_1@mk-nntp-
> 2.news.uk.tiscali.com:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a budget priced Folding Mountain Bike?

> Depends what you want the MTB for, why you want a folder, and what you
> consider to be "budget priced".
>
> If the MTB is for more than the odd forestry gravel track, I wouldn't get
> cheap folder (because it might fold when I didn't want it to). Dahon do
> some nice folders, but they are not what I expect you'd call "budget-
> priced".

> However, I'm hoping that someone on uk.rec.cycling can come up with much
> better advice than I can give.
>
> Geoff

A quick Google for folding mountain bike yielded this as a first link
http://campervanaccessories.co.uk/space-saving-folding-mountain-bike-image-p-172.html

I wouldnt trust it as there's too many features for its paltry price of £129

It is a cheap and nasty bike with a hinge and full suspension. It might
just fold when you least expect it.

I've looked at some of the other offerings and would not recommend them to
anyone I liked...

I do not think that there's such as thing as a budget priced /durable/
folding mountain bike.