Re: Four Cyclists Killed in Wales

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Recently, a car skidded on ice in Wales and took out an entire
> group of 12 cyclists, who were traveling the other direction. Four were
> killed and the other 8 were taken to a hospital.
>
> This make me even more aware of the dangers for bike riders on the
> roads during wintertime. Out of the hundreds of cars that might pass
> you on a ride, if just one of the drivers has no awareness of icy
> conditions, you could be struck like a bowling pin, without warning. I
> greatly prefer offroad bikepaths. Those who advocate against separate
> paths and want to "seize a share of the road" from motorists, might
> contemplate how freezing weather
> changes the wisdom of this.
>
> I became aware of the Wales tragedy by watching C-SPAN tonight, on
> coverage of the Prime Minister's weekly session with the House of
> Commons. The cycling incident was discussed and described as the worst
> accident of its kind in the country's history.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4592412.stm

Aye, Steve Mac. You are saying above what I have been thinking for the past
30 years about the dangers of sharing the road with motor vehicles - summer
and winter. We most certainly do need our own bike paths.

The roads are often in such bad shape here in Minnesota in the winter that
you literally have to be crazy to venture out on them. Ice is extremely
dangerous for any number of reasons. I have taken to walking about town
instead of cycling. But there is ice on the sidewalks that you have to be
careful of too.

Damn, anyone who likes winter can go to Hell and back. It is the pits!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:
> The roads are often in such bad shape here in Minnesota in the winter that
> you literally have to be crazy to venture out on them.

You must be in a different Minnesota. Here in the Twin Cities, this has
been the warmest January on record - at least 30 degrees F warmer (average)
than two years ago, and with a lot less snow than usual. One must look far
and wide to find a shoulder that has ice on it, never mind a travel lane.

December had a few cold nights, but was remarkably warm with only about half
the usual snowfall.

Austin (hoping his well doesn't go dry this summer)
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

"AustinMN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> The roads are often in such bad shape here in Minnesota in the winter
>> that you literally have to be crazy to venture out on them.

> You must be in a different Minnesota. Here in the Twin Cities, this has
> been the warmest January on record - at least 30 degrees F warmer
> (average) than two years ago, and with a lot less snow than usual. One
> must look far and wide to find a shoulder that has ice on it, never mind a
> travel lane.
>
> December had a few cold nights, but was remarkably warm with only about
> half the usual snowfall.

Yes, this January has been a miracle. But we had lots of nuisance snowfalls
here in southern Minnesota in December and the streets in town never did get
cleared properly. There are icy patches all over the place. The sun will
half-way melt the snow and then turn it to ice. I think it is better to get
a few really heavy snowfalls than lots of little snowfalls.

The Twin Cities is not Austin. Why have you chosen Austin for your user
name? They have the greatest bike shop in the world in Austin (a small city
in southern Minnesota). It is called RideYourBike (but spelled differently)
and they have bikes organized by decades going back to the 20's on display.
It is like a bicycle museum. Worthington could never support a bike shop
like that.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:
snip>
> The Twin Cities is not Austin. Why have you chosen Austin for your user
> name?

I used to go by AustinBoston (Austin is an old, well respected family
name and my middle name) when I lived in suburban Boston. I added the
"Boston" then so that people would not think I was in Austin, TX. I
was aware of Austin, MN (and the SPAM museum) when I selected AustinMN,
but being not remarkably creative, couldn't get anything else to work.

> They have the greatest bike shop in the world in Austin (a small city
> in southern Minnesota). It is called RideYourBike (but spelled differently)
> and they have bikes organized by decades going back to the 20's on display.
> It is like a bicycle museum. Worthington could never support a bike shop
> like that.

I'll have to see if I can get the bride to stop their some time. We go
through the Austin area a few times a year on our way to Missouri to
see her brother.

Austin

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Antti Salonen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> The original poster was from Minnesota, where I guess the weather in
>> wintertime is similar to what it's like here.

> This poster was Ed Dolan, who's a troll.

[...]

Antti Salonen does need you to tell him anything about the Great Ed Dolan.
He can form his own conclusions as can everyone else. Who do you think you
are that you can tell others what they can easily figure out for themselves.
Maybe I should start telling others what I think you are?