Re: Free mounting (again)

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by [email protected], Apr 13, 2005.

  1. cathwood <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is it 'normal' to take a while to do regular freemounting?

    I got my unicycle at the beginning of February and I made my first
    successful freemount this last Friday. I ride exclusively in urban
    areas, so until then I had mounted by backing the unicycle up to a
    curb -- so the wheel can't move backwards -- and hopping on.

    --
    Dan

    Tags:

  2. scottb

    scottb Guest

    I've had my unicycle for about three months now. I tried freemounting a
    few times and decided it was impossible (all the videos I've seen must
    have been faked). Well, I decided to give it another try tonight and
    was successful three or four times. I'm so excited! We'll see if I can
    do it again tomorrow.

    --
    scottb
    scottb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9040

  3. chosen

    chosen Guest

  4. The Yang

    The Yang Guest

    I started with the static mount it seemed to make more sense to me than
    all that rolling back nonsense. I later figured out the rollback after
    I learned to idle

    --
    The Yang - Unicyclist with Balls

    "I just rolled over my testicle" Tony J

    The Yang's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9517

  5. s7ev0

    s7ev0 Guest

    Not sure how helpful this will be in the long run, but when I learned
    the roll back mount, I had the seat lower than I do now, and the foot
    that wasn't starting on the pedal was placed in front of the other pedal
    (pedal resting up against my calf) with the wheel behind me.

    I then stepped -back- onto the higher pedal to push back for the quarter
    turn roll back.

    Later I found that I needed the seat higher for comfortable riding, and
    then I couldn't do that mount anymore! (see what I mean about it not
    necessarily being that useful...?) However I did learn my next mount
    much more quickly, so perhaps it did help.

    --
    s7ev0 - ************

    We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
    were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
    to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

  6. mikepenton

    mikepenton Guest

    I find my progress very erratic, and sometimes going backwards!
    You can get something consistently one day & the next day it's nearly
    impossible. I suggest just give it a break & don't bother if you're
    having a bad day with that skill (or riding generally). You'll feel that
    you've made zero progress for a while, then suddenly have a huge
    improvement, or do several new things all at once. my first
    Kidderminster Uni Meet I managed 3 new mounts, and the 2nd time, 2 more
    new mounts (and on a Coker too). in-between, progress seemed minimal.

    Keep practicing, but if it's not working at that time, try something
    different!
    see you at BUC - by the end of it you'll be doing kick-up & suicide
    mounts!

    --
    mikepenton - sometimes level
    mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

  7. unicus

    unicus Guest

    s7ev0 wrote:
    > *I (perversely) started trying to freemount before learning to
    > ride...*

    I did that too as I figured if I could freemount that when I fell off I
    could get back on quicker. At first I was using my right foot but it was
    hard then I swapped to my left and nailed it soon after.

    Cathy, there will be plenty of people at BUC who'll be happy to help and
    you may well be surprised how much you can learn in a weekend.

    --
    unicus

    Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
    unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

  8. hecklar

    hecklar Guest

    Here's a little ordered checklist that you can use to breakdown the
    static mount (which i would argue is the easiest and best mount to first
    learn).

    Step 1:
    - Put the saddle under you (between your legs, against your crotch... it
    all sounds perverted, but you know what i mean).
    - Have the wheel in front of you.
    - Both feet on the ground.
    - Cranks at the 3 and 9 position (horizontal), with the back pedal
    closest to your strong foot. (If you want, it's also common to have the
    closest pedal a little lower than the other, so not quite horizontal.)

    If you are comfortable, move onto Step 2.

    Step 2:
    - Put your strong foot on the pedal that is closest to you (the back
    one).
    Still comfortable? OK, move onto Step 3.

    Step 3:
    - Without the wheel moving, slowly put most of your weight onto the
    saddle and rotate up onto the unicycle, while stepping onto the other
    pedal with your weak foot.
    If you can't mount consistently, i bet that this is where your problems
    begin. I'd guess that when you went to step onto the weak pedal it
    moved up and back. This is because you didn't put enough weight onto
    the saddle and left too much on your strong pedal. The trick is that
    you need to have just enough pressure on your strong foot so that when
    you rotate up onto the unicycle and reach for the weak pedal, that it
    doesn't move. Practice this over and over until the weak pedal doesn't
    move.
    If you can get onto the unicycle, and have both feet on the pedals in
    the ~horizontal position, then move on to Step 4.

    Step 4:
    You are now on the unicycle, but you need to ride away...
    - Continue to rotate on the unicycle so that the saddle gets just in
    front of the axle (so that you are leaning forward a bit).
    - Ride forward so that you don't fall forward.
    - Continue riding until someone asks you where your other wheel is.
    If you can do this consistently, continue to Step 5.

    Step 5:
    - Run back to your computer and thank hecklar for teaching you how to
    freemount.

    Trust me, free mounting is extremely hard to do. It took me a long time
    to learn, but now i can do about 6 mounts, and can static mount
    perfectly, every time, without thinking. It's not even a "skill"
    anymore. But, when i first learned it felt amazing, so i understand
    your pain.

    Let me know if you need any explanation on my steps, and keep us updated
    on your progress.

    --
    hecklar - Street Rider (Level 4)
    hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

  9. hecklar

[...]

  10. I've had many problems with freemounting the worst one being that I
    sometime forget what I have been able to do for months.

    I think most of my problems stem from the fact that I am a very stressed
    bear. I freemount easily when slightly tipsy ;)
    I do not freemount easily when people stare at me or when I think about
    the fact that I suffered a severe injury while freemounting my Coker.

    So now I am working on "fun attitude" when freemounting: see the relaxed
    clown trying to mount?? and hop it goes!

    hope this helps
    bear

    --
    wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'