General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: French Onion Soup

Started by limey · · Last activity · 5 posts · 156 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 March 2007
Last activity
27 March 2007
Original author
limey
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
156
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Victor Sack wrote:
    <snip>

    Would you be kind enough to critique this recipe? It is the one I
    always use when making onion soup. I admit the addition of beef
    bouillon cubes is my own idea.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Onion Soup

    Recipe By :Fernande Garvin

    3 medium onions -- thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon flour
    2 cups consommé (I used chicken broth)
    3 1/2 cups water (I added 4 beef bouillon cubes)
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 pound grated Swiss cheese
    6 slices French bread (not toasted) -- dried in oven
    1/2 teaspoon or so thyme
    salt and pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons butter -- melted

    In heavy skillet, cook onions in heated butter until slightly browned.
    Sprinkle with flour and cook over low flame until golden, never allowing
    the onions to become dark brown. Add consommé and water. Bring to
    boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, then simmer gently for 20
    minutes uncovered. Add milk and wine. Pour into ovenproof casserole or
    individual bowls. Place slices of bread on top. Sprinkle generously
    with cheese. Add pepper. Sprinkle with melted butter. Brown quickly
    under broiler. Serve.

    Comments: If there is one French dish which is popular all over the
    world, in all categories of restaurants, it is onion soup. Every day,
    everywhere, people expectantly order onion soup, but what they too often
    get is a sorry brew, the result of a long series of deteriorations of
    the original recipe.

    Honest-to-goodness onion soup is neither expensive nor difficult to
    make. The important thing is that the taste of onion is well blended
    and not bitter or harsh. The soup has the consistency of light cream
    and is of a golden color. It is not a clear broth in which float small
    pieces of dark and desiccated onion and a few specks of grated cheese.
    Grated cheese may be added at the table, but a sufficient quantity has
    to cook in the soup itself.

    Note: The slices of bread should be dried in a heated oven after the
    flame has been turned off. Do not toast them.

    With proper care, you will get a smooth, soothing, golden soup, which
    succeeds in being both pungent and delicate - no small achievement
    indeed!

    Source:
    ""The Art of French Cooking", by Fernande Garvin"

    Dora
    [email hidden]

  2. limey said:

    Would you be kind enough to critique this recipe?

    The recipe, as such, seems to be a perfectly good one. I wouldn't call
    it really French, but it is close enough. BTW, I have never once posted
    anything about non-authentic onion soup recipes being inferior. Very
    often they are not and sometimes they are very good indeed.

    Quoted message said:

    Onion Soup

    Recipe By :Fernande Garvin

    3 medium onions -- thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon flour
    2 cups consommé (I used chicken broth)
    3 1/2 cups water (I added 4 beef bouillon cubes)

    I think the amount of bouillon cubes is a tad excessive.

    Quoted message said:

    1/2 cup white wine
    1/4 cup milk

    Milk is certainly rather unusual in the recipe of this kind, but it
    won't change the soup in any drastic way.

    Quoted message said:

    1/4 pound grated Swiss cheese
    6 slices French bread (not toasted) -- dried in oven
    1/2 teaspoon or so thyme
    salt and pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons butter -- melted


    [snip instructions]

    Quoted message said:

    Comments: If there is one French dish which is popular all over the
    world, in all categories of restaurants, it is onion soup.

    This may be true in America, but not in other countries, France not
    excluded. In France, it is rare to find this kind of soup in places
    other than bistros, bouchons, and occasionally country auberges and
    relais routiers (truck stops). And even in those places it is not
    really very widely encountered. In some regions, it is nearly
    impossible to find. Even in Paris, if you go into a bistro hoping to
    get onion soup, chances are you won't find it there. One needs to know
    one's way around. In Germany, onion soup can be found only at a few
    French places and occasionally in steakhouses, and hardly anywhere else.
    I have never once seen it on the menu in Italy, but then I have never
    eaten at a French restaurant there.

    Victor

  3. Victor Sack said:
    limey said:

    Would you be kind enough to critique this recipe?

    The recipe, as such, seems to be a perfectly good one. I wouldn't
    call it really French, but it is close enough.

    Probably because I added the beef bouillon cubes! Good point - I'll try
    cutting back from four to two.

    It's a recipe which we enjoy very much. It is also the closest I have
    found to the onion soup prepared locally here by a chef from
    Alsace-Lorraine, which I found much more delicate in flavour than the
    version containing caramelized onions. I also prefer the dried
    baguette slices and cheese on top, rather than the gratinée version.
    The latter is what is commonly served here.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Comments: If there is one French dish which is popular all over the
    world, in all categories of restaurants, it is onion soup.

    By way of explanation, the comments in the recipe were inserted by the
    author, not I.

    Quoted message said:


    This may be true in America, but not in other countries, France not
    excluded. In France, it is rare to find this kind of soup in places
    other than bistros, bouchons, and occasionally country auberges and
    relais routiers (truck stops). And even in those places it is not
    really very widely encountered. In some regions, it is nearly
    impossible to find. Even in Paris, if you go into a bistro hoping to
    get onion soup, chances are you won't find it there. One needs to
    know one's way around.

    Victor

    I never saw it on the menus in Paris or elsewhere; on the other hand, I
    wasn't looking for it, either.

    Dora

  4. limey said:
    Victor Sack said:


    The recipe, as such, seems to be a perfectly good one. I wouldn't
    call it really French, but it is close enough.

    Probably because I added the beef bouillon cubes! Good point - I'll try
    cutting back from four to two.

    It was more because of the milk, actually. As to the bouillon cubes, I
    just thought four is a bit too much, for just 3.5 cups of water plus
    chicken stock and a bit of wine and milk. Rather too concentrated, I
    would say.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Comments: If there is one French dish which is popular all over the
    world, in all categories of restaurants, it is onion soup.

    By way of explanation, the comments in the recipe were inserted by the
    author, not I.

    Yes, that was clear.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This may be true in America, but not in other countries, France not
    excluded. In France, it is rare to find this kind of soup in places
    other than bistros, bouchons, and occasionally country auberges and
    relais routiers (truck stops). And even in those places it is not
    really very widely encountered. In some regions, it is nearly
    impossible to find. Even in Paris, if you go into a bistro hoping to
    get onion soup, chances are you won't find it there. One needs to
    know one's way around.

    I never saw it on the menus in Paris or elsewhere; on the other hand, I
    wasn't looking for it, either.

    If the recipe is from the time when Les Halles market was still there,
    it was indeed possible to find the soup more easily, mostly around the
    market. It was indeed kind of fashionable for night revellers,
    sometimes clad in dinner jackets, to go there and eat onion soup at 5 in
    the morning, rubbing shoulders with blood-stained butchers. Now only a
    couple of bistros open around the clock are left in the area, Pied de
    Cochon being one of them.

    Victor

  5. And finally.....

    I don't think I've ever had a GOOD French onion soup in a restaurant !

    Bullion cubes and half-cooked onions,
    Leftover beef gravy,
    "mystery" cheese,
    salad croutons floating in some sort of brown gel

    I've given up !

    The house chili is usually a safer bet.
    <rj>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.