Re: Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

Jimbo

Guest
Geesh - a little one-sided don't you think - I'm sure you'll have
great success convincing people of your way - unless of course you get
a bunch of idiots on your side - any intelligent person can see
through and realize that all the negs can be reversed - dumbass!

On 3 Apr 2007 12:17:44 -0700, "Jimbo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Geesh - a little one-sided don't you think - I'm sure you'll have
>great success convincing people of your way - unless of course you get
>a bunch of idiots on your side - any intelligent person can see
>through and realize that all the negs can be reversed - dumbass!

Typical mountain biker. NOT ONE specific, because then you could
easily be refuted.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 3 Apr 2007 12:17:44 -0700, "Jimbo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Geesh - a little one-sided don't you think - I'm sure you'll have
>>great success convincing people of your way - unless of course you get
>>a bunch of idiots on your side - any intelligent person can see
>>through and realize that all the negs can be reversed - dumbass!

> Typical mountain biker. NOT ONE specific, because then you could
> easily be refuted.

Mike, here is the situation as I see it.

1) I ride a mountain bike for fun and exercise, I ride a road
bike for fun and exercise, and I ride my commuter bike for
transportation and exercise. All these activities are safe and legal.

2) I ride my mountain bike where it is safe and legal (for example
Left Hand Canyon, Hall Ranch); I do not ride it where it is prohibited
(for example Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP)).

3) I am a hiker and a backpacker. I pack in RMNP several times a
year. I have never seen a mountain biker in RMNP. I do see huge ruts
where the hiking trails are. I also see where 'social trails' are
forming where hikers are avoiding the ruts.

4) I have hiked and ridden my mountain bike on mixed use trails
(hikers, people riding mountain bikes and equestrians) and have never
seen an issue/altercation/problem between groups. I have actually seen
the opposite, where one group helped the other with directions and/or
helpful information.

5) I have never accidentally killed an animal while riding my
mountain bike. I have witnessed mule deer watch me as I ride by. They
hardly even stopped eating while we rode by.

6) Do you honestly think you have convinced even one person who rides
a mountain bike to quit? If not, you are wasting your time.

To sum it up, every argument you have to stop riding a mountain bike is
false, it is completely legal (In most places) and you are powerless to
stop it. Stop wasting you time and go work on something you can have a
real impact on.

Chris

On 05 Apr 2007 12:57:39 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On 3 Apr 2007 12:17:44 -0700, "Jimbo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Geesh - a little one-sided don't you think - I'm sure you'll have
>>>great success convincing people of your way - unless of course you get
>>>a bunch of idiots on your side - any intelligent person can see
>>>through and realize that all the negs can be reversed - dumbass!

>> Typical mountain biker. NOT ONE specific, because then you could
>> easily be refuted.

>Mike, here is the situation as I see it.
>
>1) I ride a mountain bike for fun and exercise, I ride a road
>bike for fun and exercise, and I ride my commuter bike for
>transportation and exercise. All these activities are safe

A lie.

> and legal.

Totally irrelevant

>2) I ride my mountain bike where it is safe and legal (for example
>Left Hand Canyon, Hall Ranch); I do not ride it where it is prohibited
>(for example Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP)).
>
>3) I am a hiker and a backpacker. I pack in RMNP several times a
>year. I have never seen a mountain biker in RMNP. I do see huge ruts
>where the hiking trails are. I also see where 'social trails' are
>forming where hikers are avoiding the ruts.

Irrelevant.

>4) I have hiked and ridden my mountain bike on mixed use trails
>(hikers, people riding mountain bikes and equestrians) and have never
>seen an issue/altercation/problem between groups. I have actually seen
>the opposite, where one group helped the other with directions and/or
>helpful information.

In places where there a lot of mountain bikers, the hikers and
equestrians who don't like it are forced to abandon the trails. Hence,
you don't see them. Not that you would report it honestly, if you did
see a problem.

>5) I have never accidentally killed an animal while riding my
>mountain bike.

You have no way of knowing.

I have witnessed mule deer watch me as I ride by. They
>hardly even stopped eating while we rode by.

Mule deer are notorious for not caring. Irrelevant. Elk and bighorn
sheep, on the other hand, run away. If you knew the research, you
would know that.

>6) Do you honestly think you have convinced even one person who rides
>a mountain bike to quit?

Of course not. Mountain bikers have no interest in the truth. And if
they did change their habits, they wouldn't have the guts to admit it.
Their friends would klil them.

If not, you are wasting your time.

>To sum it up, every argument you have to stop riding a mountain bike is
>false, it is completely legal (In most places) and you are powerless to
>stop it. Stop wasting you time and go work on something you can have a
>real impact on.
>

>Chris

Considering how many trails are off-limits to bikes, I have already
had an impact.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 05 Apr 2007 12:57:39 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

>>> Typical mountain biker. NOT ONE specific, because then you could
>>> easily be refuted.

>>Mike, here is the situation as I see it.
>>
>>1) I ride a mountain bike for fun and exercise, I ride a road
>>bike for fun and exercise, and I ride my commuter bike for
>>transportation and exercise. All these activities are safe

> A lie.

Please be more specific, What is a lie??

>> and legal.

> Totally irrelevant

The fact that I ride a road bike in not irrelevent to me. Can you
please be more specific?? What is irrelevent??

>>2) I ride my mountain bike where it is safe and legal (for example
>>Left Hand Canyon, Hall Ranch); I do not ride it where it is prohibited
>>(for example Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP)).
>>
>>3) I am a hiker and a backpacker. I pack in RMNP several times a
>>year. I have never seen a mountain biker in RMNP. I do see huge ruts
>>where the hiking trails are. I also see where 'social trails' are
>>forming where hikers are avoiding the ruts.

> Irrelevant.

Hikers are forming the socail trails. What is irrelevant about that??

>>4) I have hiked and ridden my mountain bike on mixed use trails
>>(hikers, people riding mountain bikes and equestrians) and have never
>>seen an issue/altercation/problem between groups. I have actually
>>seen the opposite, where one group helped the other with directions
>>and/or helpful information.

> In places where there a lot of mountain bikers, the hikers and
> equestrians who don't like it are forced to abandon the trails. Hence,
> you don't see them. Not that you would report it honestly, if you did
> see a problem.

I was hiking at the time. The horses bother me MUCH more than the
mountain biker. When I am packing thru an area and you come up on a
bunch of equestrians who are absolutely destroying the trail because it
is wet, it is difficult to keep your cool. And horses are so amazingly
stupid; you have no idea what they will do next

>>5) I have never accidentally killed an animal while riding my
>>mountain bike.

> You have no way of knowing.

I have a very good idea what I am rolling over. and I repeat: I have
never accidentally killed an animal while riding my mountain bike

> I have witnessed mule deer watch me as I ride by. They
>>hardly even stopped eating while we rode by.

> Mule deer are notorious for not caring. Irrelevant. Elk and bighorn
> sheep, on the other hand, run away. If you knew the research, you
> would know that.

Are you talking about the Elk in RMNP that the toutist hand feed?? They
are the ones that ruin away. LOL Stop reading white papers and so
called research, and go look for your self like we all do every day

>>6) Do you honestly think you have convinced even one person who
>>rides a mountain bike to quit?

> Of course not. Mountain bikers have no interest in the truth. And if
> they did change their habits, they wouldn't have the guts to admit it.
> Their friends would klil them.

I am only interested in the truth, the real truth, not some very
narrow version that you percieve as the truth. LOL My friend would
kill me ?? LOL That is too funny

> If not, you are wasting your time.
>>
>>To sum it up, every argument you have to stop riding a mountain bike
>>is false, it is completely legal (In most places) and you are
>>powerless to stop it. Stop wasting you time and go work on something
>>you can have a real impact on.
>>

>>Chris

> Considering how many trails are off-limits to bikes, I have already
> had an impact.

You are taking full responsibility for getting those trails closed??
Mountain biking in RMNP has been closed for over 15 years, do assume
credit for that??

On 09 Apr 2007 16:13:34 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

>Mountain biking in RMNP has been closed for over 15 years, do assume
>credit for that??
>

>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you
>> are fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 09 Apr 2007 16:13:34 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

>>> A lie.

>>Please be more specific, What is a lie??

Shades of grey. Are you suggesting that if an activity is deemed
'unsafe' by the great Mike Vandeman, we should all stop?

>>> Totally irrelevant

>>The fact that I ride a road bike in not irrelevent to me. Can you
>>please be more specific?? What is irrelevent??

Response??

>>> Irrelevant.

>>Hikers are forming the socail trails. What is irrelevant about that??

Hikers are causing the damage. Shouldn't you be attempting (yet
failing) to curb thier passion also??

>>> In places where there a lot of mountain bikers, the hikers and
>>> equestrians who don't like it are forced to abandon the trails.
>>> Hence, you don't see them. Not that you would report it honestly, if
>>> you did see a problem.

>>I was hiking at the time. The horses bother me MUCH more than the
>>mountain biker. When I am packing thru an area and you come up on a
>>bunch of equestrians who are absolutely destroying the trail because
>>it is wet, it is difficult to keep your cool. And horses are so
>>amazingly stupid; you have no idea what they will do next

>>> You have no way of knowing.

>>I have a very good idea what I am rolling over. and I repeat: I have
>>never accidentally killed an animal while riding my mountain bike
>>>
>>> I have witnessed mule deer watch me as I ride by. They
>>>
>>> Mule deer are notorious for not caring. Irrelevant. Elk and bighorn
>>> sheep, on the other hand, run away. If you knew the research, you
>>> would know that.

>>Are you talking about the Elk in RMNP that the toutist hand feed??
>>They are the ones that ruin away. LOL Stop reading white papers and
>>so called research, and go look for your self like we all do every day

>>> Of course not. Mountain bikers have no interest in the truth. And if
>>> they did change their habits, they wouldn't have the guts to admit
>>> it. Their friends would klil them.

>>I am only interested in the truth, the real truth, not some very
>>narrow version that you percieve as the truth. LOL My friend would
>>kill me ?? LOL That is too funny
>>

>>> If not, you are wasting your time.

>>> Considering how many trails are off-limits to bikes, I have already
>>> had an impact.

>>You are taking full responsibility for getting those trails closed??
>>Mountain biking in RMNP has been closed for over 15 years, do assume
>>credit for that??

Response ??

On 12 Apr 2007 11:51:21 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On 09 Apr 2007 16:13:34 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>>>Please be more specific, What is a lie??

>> "All these activities are safe."

>Shades of grey. Are you suggesting that if an activity is deemed
>'unsafe' by the great Mike Vandeman, we should all stop?

Yes, and stop lying. You might actually get some respect.

>>>The fact that I ride a road bike in not irrelevent to me. Can you
>>>please be more specific?? What is irrelevent??
>>>

>Response??

>>>Hikers are forming the socail trails. What is irrelevant about that??
>>>

>Hikers are causing the damage. Shouldn't you be attempting (yet
>failing) to curb thier passion also??

>>>I was hiking at the time. The horses bother me MUCH more than the
>>>mountain biker. When I am packing thru an area and you come up on a
>>>bunch of equestrians who are absolutely destroying the trail because
>>>it is wet, it is difficult to keep your cool. And horses are so
>>>amazingly stupid; you have no idea what they will do next

>>>I have a very good idea what I am rolling over. and I repeat: I have
>>>never accidentally killed an animal while riding my mountain bike

>>>Are you talking about the Elk in RMNP that the toutist hand feed??
>>>They are the ones that ruin away. LOL Stop reading white papers and
>>>so called research, and go look for your self like we all do every day

>>>I am only interested in the truth, the real truth, not some very
>>>narrow version that you percieve as the truth. LOL My friend would
>>>kill me ?? LOL That is too funny

>>>You are taking full responsibility for getting those trails closed??
>>>Mountain biking in RMNP has been closed for over 15 years, do assume
>>>credit for that??

>Response ??

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 12 Apr 2007 11:51:21 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

>>> "All these activities are safe."

>>Shades of grey. Are you suggesting that if an activity is deemed
>>'unsafe' by the great Mike Vandeman, we should all stop?

> Yes, and stop lying. You might actually get some respect.

Here is the original statement:
1) I ride a mountain bike for fun and exercise, I ride a road bike for
fun and exercise, and I ride my commuter bike for transportation and
exercise. All these activities are safe and legal

No lies! Simply my opinion. You have an opinion that differs from
mine. Doesn't make it a lie.

To be honest, what the hell do you care, if I get hurt, you will just
cut and paste the article here to add more credence to your very weak
argument.

Maybe if you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>>Response??

Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if you

On 13 Apr 2007 11:53:36 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On 12 Apr 2007 11:51:21 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>>>Shades of grey. Are you suggesting that if an activity is deemed
>>>'unsafe' by the great Mike Vandeman, we should all stop?

>> Yes, and stop lying. You might actually get some respect.
>>

>Here is the original statement:
>1) I ride a mountain bike for fun and exercise, I ride a road bike for
>fun and exercise, and I ride my commuter bike for transportation and
>exercise. All these activities are safe and legal
>
>No lies! Simply my opinion. You have an opinion that differs from
>mine. Doesn't make it a lie.

Nonsense. If you said "I believe that All these activities are safe
and legal", THAT would be an opinion. But you said "All these
activities are safe and legal", which is an assertion of fact, and
therefore a LIE. You can't assert something to be a fact, and then
claim that it was only an opinion. That wouldn't hold up in court. Or
even in school.

>To be honest, what the hell do you care, if I get hurt, you will just
>cut and paste the article here to add more credence to your very weak
>argument.
>
>Maybe if you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>>>Response??
>>>

>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if you
>stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>>>Hikers are causing the damage. Shouldn't you be attempting (yet
>>>failing) to curb thier passion also??
>>>

>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if you
>stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if you
>stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if you
>stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if you
>stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>>>Response ??

>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if you
>stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 13 Apr 2007 11:53:36 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

>>> Yes, and stop lying. You might actually get some respect.
>>>

>>Here is the original statement:
>>1) I ride a mountain bike for fun and exercise, I ride a road bike
>>for fun and exercise, and I ride my commuter bike for transportation
>>and exercise. All these activities are safe and legal
>>
>>No lies! Simply my opinion. You have an opinion that differs from
>>mine. Doesn't make it a lie.

> Nonsense. If you said "I believe that All these activities are safe
> and legal", THAT would be an opinion. But you said "All these
> activities are safe and legal", which is an assertion of fact, and
> therefore a LIE. You can't assert something to be a fact, and then
> claim that it was only an opinion. That wouldn't hold up in court. Or
> even in school.

OK Mike you win.

I believe that you are idiot, just like all the other people who have
attempted to have a rational discussion with you.

>>To be honest, what the hell do you care, if I get hurt, you will just
>>cut and paste the article here to add more credence to your very weak
>>argument.
>>
>>Maybe if you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

Still no response ??

>>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if
>>you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

>>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if
>>you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

Still no response ??

>>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if
>>you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

Still no response ??

>>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if
>>you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

Still no response ??

>>Still no response? You made a comment, please back it up. Maybe if
>>you stop exaggerating, you would get more respect.

Still no response ??

Still no response ??