Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Re: From a Melbourne bicycle courier.

Started by Megan Webb · · Last activity · 1 post · 564 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
4 July 2003
Last activity
4 July 2003
Original author
Megan Webb
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
564
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hell no flame here!

    Well said.

    Megan

    "#215" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been a bicycle courier on and off for 8 years in between studies and
    illness. Unfortunately the word 'typecast' describes us the best. Most of
    my mates can ride rings around most A grade riders and would make great time
    trialists. Being an A grade roadie I can vouch for that. Their bike skills
    are second to none and the dedication it takes to ride in all weather and
    traffic should be admired. On any given day I have 100 or so deadlines and
    with each one another changes. Ex bike couriers are probably the most
    gifted at time management. As for our appearance and drugs you would be
    surprised if you could see what really goes on in big business. They make
    us look like Ned Flanders!

    But all you hear is the negatives. Maybe I should get some of my clients to
    tell what a wonderful job we do and how we save business thousands of $ in
    time saved, from mum and pop shops to the huge law firms. The government
    regularly bashes us in the press but then turns around and says I have 6
    minutes to get these docs to parliament. Hypocrisy! I brake the law
    occasionally but in the CBD its epidemic! Everyone does, cars, pedestrians,
    trams, taxis etc etc. I know its wrong but what's more stupid, someone who
    crosses a street without looking in front of traffic or me on a footpath at
    10kmh?

    The most dangerous part of my day is the commute to and from work.
    Lastly sure we get paid to ride but its hard work. Over the years I've seen
    many guys claiming to be top riders come and go because they couldn't get
    the hang of it, some lasting a day to just a few hours. Anyway I'm too
    exhausted both mentally and physically to go on with my rant. Sorry to
    those who may of heard it all before but I do a solid days work and get sick
    of the lopsided public perception of us. In ten years time I'll be using my
    degree but for now while I'm young enough and can do it, I ride my bike 9
    hours a day.

    #215
    440 crew.

    Flame away!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.