Re: fury roadmaster test report

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by carlfogel, Apr 10, 2004.

  1. carlfogel

    carlfogel Guest

    So far, thirty-seven rides of 4.06 miles each and a hundred and fifty
    miles without any real problems--as much as Lance does in a day and more
    than I did when I pedalled to school, since I certainly didn't bicycle
    on the weekends.

    Nor did I head out into the rain at forty degrees back then, but I
    was already soaked today because the predicted midnight snow storm
    decided to launch a steady drizzle five minutes after I began my
    normal ride at 2 p.m.

    I've noticed that the Fury Roadmaster employs a one-piece crank, just
    like the faithful Schwinn that used to carry me to school. I suppose
    that a pair of bearings lurk in the bottom bracket, but have no idea why
    three-piece cranks are now the fashion.

    Why did one-piece cranks fall out of fashion? Are the modern three-piece
    cranks lighter, stronger, cheaper, more versatile, easier to work on,
    more reliable, or what?

    Carl Fogel

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    carlfogel wrote:

    > I've noticed that the Fury Roadmaster employs a one-piece crank, just
    > like the faithful Schwinn that used to carry me to school. I suppose
    > that a pair of bearings lurk in the bottom bracket, but have no idea why
    > three-piece cranks are now the fashion.
    >
    > Why did one-piece cranks fall out of fashion? Are the modern three-piece
    > cranks lighter, stronger, cheaper, more versatile, easier to work on,
    > more reliable, or what?

    Dear Carl,

    Does the Fury Roadmaster employ a genuine Ashtabula [1] crank?

    [1] < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html >
    < http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/ashtabula.shtml >

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Does the Fury Roadmaster employ a genuine Ashtabula [1] crank?
    > [1] < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html >
    > < http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/ashtabula.shtml >

    AFAIK the Ashtabula Bow Socket Company, of Ashatbula Ohio
    was founded in the 1700s but is no more.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. Greg Estep

    Greg Estep Guest

    "carlfogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Why did one-piece cranks fall out of fashion?

    Carl, I am shocked! How can you say that those cranks are "out of fashion"
    when one is clearly present on your quite fashionable roadmaster?

    --
    Greg Estep