Re: fury roadmaster test report

carlfogel

Guest
So far, thirty-seven rides of 4.06 miles each and a hundred and fifty
miles without any real problems--as much as Lance does in a day and more
than I did when I pedalled to school, since I certainly didn't bicycle
on the weekends.

Nor did I head out into the rain at forty degrees back then, but I
was already soaked today because the predicted midnight snow storm
decided to launch a steady drizzle five minutes after I began my
normal ride at 2 p.m.

I've noticed that the Fury Roadmaster employs a one-piece crank, just
like the faithful Schwinn that used to carry me to school. I suppose
that a pair of bearings lurk in the bottom bracket, but have no idea why
three-piece cranks are now the fashion.

Why did one-piece cranks fall out of fashion? Are the modern three-piece
cranks lighter, stronger, cheaper, more versatile, easier to work on,
more reliable, or what?

Carl Fogel

--

carlfogel wrote:

> I've noticed that the Fury Roadmaster employs a one-piece crank, just
> like the faithful Schwinn that used to carry me to school. I suppose
> that a pair of bearings lurk in the bottom bracket, but have no idea why
> three-piece cranks are now the fashion.
>
> Why did one-piece cranks fall out of fashion? Are the modern three-piece
> cranks lighter, stronger, cheaper, more versatile, easier to work on,
> more reliable, or what?

Dear Carl,

Does the Fury Roadmaster employ a genuine Ashtabula [1] crank?

[1] < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html >
< http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/ashtabula.shtml >

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Does the Fury Roadmaster employ a genuine Ashtabula [1] crank?
> [1] < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html >
> < http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/ashtabula.shtml >

AFAIK the Ashtabula Bow Socket Company, of Ashatbula Ohio
was founded in the 1700s but is no more.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"carlfogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Why did one-piece cranks fall out of fashion?

Carl, I am shocked! How can you say that those cranks are "out of fashion"
when one is clearly present on your quite fashionable roadmaster?

--
Greg Estep