Re: general advice sought

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Peter Allen, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    "Cam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry the topic is so vague, but the question is that way too.
    >
    > First a bit about me. I'm not out of shape. In fact, I would guess
    > that people would think me in shape (they don't get to see me in the
    > shower though). I'm carrying about 2-3 kg's of fat around my waist
    > which I can't seem to loose.
    >
    > My goal is to loose the weight and gain muscle definition/tone. I'm not
    > interested in looking like Arnie.
    >
    > I swim 1km three times a week for fitness. While I know that cardio
    > work isn't good for building muscle, I'm not prepared to give it up. I
    > figure my heart comes first, then the rest of my muscles.
    >
    > For weights, I use only dumbbells at home after the kids are in bed. I
    > do them three times a week. I swim at lunch time, then weights in the
    > evenings. My routine is 2 sets of 12 for each of the following.
    > - Bicep curls
    > - Bench press (shoulders supported by a swiss ball)
    > - Single arm row
    > - Seated shoulder press (sitting on a swiss ball)
    > - Sit-ups with weight on my chest for extra resistance.
    >
    > Any comment on my routine would be welcomed. Be aware that I'm limited
    > to dumbbells and other common household implements as training aides. I
    > would like to keep the workout under 30 minutes.

    Try to find something you can use to do deadlifts or similar; you're not
    doing anything for your legs right now. You might be OK doing squats with a
    rucksack full of books / stones / whatever, although you'll probably fairly
    soon get to the point where this isn't heavy enough. If you don't have time
    to fit them in, dump bicep curls and / or one of the pressing movements. If
    you can't do that, do sets of 50 bodyweight squats, going as deep as you
    can - this is cardio more than strength work, but swimming won't do much for
    your legs.

    If you either swim faster, or for longer, and don't eat more, or you just
    eat less, then you'll lose the fat. You're not doing a huge amount of cardio
    work right now; so if you're not feeling pretty tired and out of breath
    towards the end of your swims, take the pace up and it'll do more for your
    heart.

    Don't expect all the fat to go instantly, it'll take about 2 weeks to lose a
    kilo of fat, and it won't all come off your waist; so maybe 10-12 weeks to
    get where you want. If you're worried about keeping track of progress with
    numbers, don't use the scales (if you gain a pound of muscle and lose a
    pound of fat you are probably doing fine, but the scales will tell you
    nothing happened), get some calipers and measure skin-folds, or if you
    already have an electric body-fat guesser then use that, but you'll have to
    make sure you're always well hydrated if you want consistent results.

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Jim Ranieri

    Jim Ranieri Guest

    "Cam" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > My goal is to loose the weight and gain muscle definition/tone. I'm

    not
    > > > interested in looking like Arnie.

    This, sir, is the quintessential MFW statement.

    Glad you got the answers you sought.

  3. Jim Seymour

    Jim Seymour Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> writes:
    [snip]

    Disclaimer: I'm just a beginner at this, myself. What I'm about to
    write is what I recall from what I've been reading and from what
    they've told me at my health club.

    > If you either swim faster, or for longer, and don't eat more, or you just
    > eat less, then you'll lose the fat.

    There are a couple of dangers, here, however. Your body requires a
    regular supply of protein in order to process fat and carbs. If you
    eat too little, you can actually impede a weight-loss program. (Not
    to mention a strength-training regimen.) Some people also make the
    mistake of trying to cut out all fat intake, thinking "If the body's
    burning it up, and I don't add more, I'll see a net loss in fat."
    This is true to a point. But the body is a self-adjusting
    mechanism. If you reduce your fat intake too far, your body will
    think there's a famine coming-on and try to store *more* fat - to the
    point of converting carbs, and even protein, into fat. So you may
    want to eat less, depending on your current intake, but not so much
    less it's counter-productive.

    > You're not doing a huge amount of cardio
    > work right now; so if you're not feeling pretty tired and out of breath
    > towards the end of your swims, take the pace up and it'll do more for your
    > heart.

    Clarification: There is a difference between cardio workouts and
    fat-burning, aerobic workouts. There is a point called your
    "anaerobic threshold" (AT). This is the point at which your heart
    and lungs, in concert, can no longer provide additional oxygen to
    your system. Beyond that point you will not burn additional
    calories from fat, as fat-burning is an aerobic process.

    If you're a believer in heart-rate monitors (HRMs), AT can be
    established in any one of a number of ways (some more accurate than
    others), expressed in heart-rate beats-per-minute. (Some prefer
    perceived exertion [PE] over HR.) Note that as you become more fit,
    particularly if you're mixing cardio workouts into your aerobic
    schedule, your AT will tend to move upward, so it needs to be
    periodically re-calculated.

    > Don't expect all the fat to go instantly, it'll take about 2 weeks to lose a
    > kilo of fat, and it won't all come off your waist; ...

    [snip]

    It is my understanding that whichever order in which your body stored
    fat, you'll take it off mostly in reverse order. So if you gained
    around the middle first (common in men?), the middle will be the last
    to trim down.

    --
    Jim Seymour | "There is no expedient to which a man will not
    [email protected] | not go to avoid the labor of thinking."

  4. Jim Seymour

    Jim Seymour Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] writes:
    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:19:32 -0000, [email protected] (Jim Seymour)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>Disclaimer: I'm just a beginner at this, myself. What I'm about to
    >>write is what I recall from what I've been reading and from what
    >>they've told me at my health club.
    >>

    >>> If you either swim faster, or for longer, and don't eat more, or you just
    >>> eat less, then you'll lose the fat.

    >>There are a couple of dangers, here, however. Your body requires a
    >>regular supply of protein in order to process fat and carbs. If you
    >>eat too little, you can actually impede a weight-loss program.

    > Eating too little will *not* impede a *weight-loss* program. Ask any
    > concentration camp victim. Of course it will impede minimizing lean
    > body mass loss big time. It will also impede strength big time.

    If you eat too little *protein*, is what I meant.