Re: George Bush crashes mountain bike, again

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by dreaded, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. dreaded

    dreaded Guest

    "Laura B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://www.kfmb.com/topstory.php?storyID=27621
    >
    > POLITICS: BUSH PEDALS NEW PROGRAM: MOUNTAIN BIKING
    >
    > (07-26-2004) - President Bush charged up punishing climbs and down steep
    > dirt paths on his high-performance bike Monday, winding up flat on his
    > back.
    >
    > The president dusted himself off, waved his medics away and kept rolling,

    > small cut on his knee and dirt on his back the only signs he had wrecked.
    > He allowed that he was a bit shaken up.
    >
    > Bush's new hobby is a way to get his heart rate up and spend time outdoors
    > without aggravating his achy knees. With an Associated Press reporter
    > riding with him, Bush pedaled to remote corners of his 1,600-acre ranch.
    >
    > Bush has been riding the knobby-tired bikes since February, and he rides
    > with abandon.
    >
    > He takes on dangerous sections that would give veterans pause. He keeps a
    > cramp-inducing pace on long uphill sections, panting hard by the time he
    > reaches each peak, backing off a little to recover and then attacking the
    > next hill. He pants hard, emitting low "hrrr, hrrr, hrrr" grunts with each
    > stroke of the pedals, his shoulders bobbing up and down.
    >
    > Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
    > 1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
    > about four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
    > Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard.
    >
    > "At my age, you're more concerned about the cardiovascular" benefits of a
    > workout, the 58-year-old president said. Mountain biking, he said, has a
    > certain "mind-clearing" effect on him, as well.
    >
    > His bike is one of the best in the business: a Trek Fuel 98 made of space-
    > age carbon fiber. The frame is adorned with high-tech components that Bush
    > professes to know little about, including a motorcycle-style front and

    rear
    > suspension that soaks up big bumps.
    >
    > List price: about $3,100. He had it specially fitted by a Washington
    > bicycle retailer.
    >
    > "My right knee has finally had it," Bush said. "Running is really a

    painful
    > experience for me now."
    >
    > "I was looking for a different way to get outside and get exercise," Bush
    > said. "Swimming is outside exercise, but you don't get the feeling of the
    > wind rushing past you, nor can you swim your favorite piece of property."
    >
    > Swimming does not offer countless ways to get injured either. Crashes are
    > routine in mountain biking, and Bush has been baptized with a few wrecks.
    >
    > On May 22, he lost traction on a dirt road, scraping his chin, upper lip,
    > nose, right hand and both knees. The next day, a Secret Service agent
    > riding behind him slammed onto the ground at high speed on a paved

    section,
    > breaking his collarbone and three ribs.
    >
    > Bush approaches steep downhills warily.
    >
    > In the moments before Monday's crash, he warns his riding party of a sharp
    > drop and a hard left turn ahead.
    >
    > "I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule," he says.
    >
    > He hits the brakes and is steadily advancing downhill when his front tire
    > loses its grip amid the loose rocks. His foot gets stuck in a strap that
    > keeps it on the pedal.
    >
    > In the blink of an eye, his rear wheel is in the air, and Bush is flying
    > high over the handlebars, landing on his back with the bike on top of him.
    >
    > He lies motionless for a few moments. The reporter hoists the bike off him
    > just as his medics arrive to attend to him.
    >
    > There are trees and a drop-off nearby, and the road is littered with

    rocks,
    > but Bush is uninjured.
    >
    > A reflector has snapped off the bike. He leaves it as a warning marker for
    > next time. Bush straightens out his handlebars, throws a leg over the bike
    > and keeps rolling.
    >
    > "We've got thrills, spills - you name it," he says.
    >
    > But he is tentative descending the remainder of the downhill section,
    > dabbing a foot on the ground as he goes. Crashes often leave riders
    > mentally rattled, and Bush acknowledges the effect.
    >
    > "I was trying to make sure I didn't get going so fast, because that is a
    > very steep left turn," Bush says.
    >
    > He jokes that he was leading the "peleton," the rolling swarm of

    bicyclists
    > in races like the Tour de France - a race he watched regularly this month
    > before Armstrong's victory Sunday.
    >
    > "I was cautious of my fellow bikemen, I didn't want to cut anybody off and
    > drive them into the canyon," Bush says with a smile. "So I slowed down and
    > because I slowed down, I lost inertia and tumbled."
    >
    > Bush loves showing off his ranch, and he takes his guests - and the Secret
    > Service agents who ride with him, pistols bulging through their shirts -

    > rarely visited corners of it.
    >
    > Monday's ride takes his entourage past the new office that contractors are
    > close to finishing, a 2,500-square-foot structure with a stone facade and
    > lots of windows where he says he will probably practice his convention
    > speech next month. He slips at first, saying he will practice his
    > inauguration speech there.
    >
    > A 50-acre patch of newly turned black earth will serve as the field where
    > Laura Bush cultivates blue stem flowers that she plans to distribute.
    >
    > In one remote section, cattle stare back at him as he rides a path

    littered
    > with cow dung.
    >
    > Bush is here unwinding during the Democratic National Convention and

    before
    > the home stretch of his re-election campaign, and he has spent the morning
    > in meetings, some of them concerning the recommendations of the

    independent
    > Sept. 11 commission.
    >
    > The ride Monday is officially a politics-free zone, and Bush doesn't want
    > to talk business. He swats away questions about what his ad man, Mark
    > McKinnon, is doing on the ranch. He declines to talk about the Sept. 11
    > commission.
    >
    > When the reporter points out that Democrat John Kerry has a $8,000 road
    > bicycle, Bush says, "Who?"

    -snip- Mountain biking, he said, has a
    certain "mind-clearing" effect on him

    haha ROFL!