Re: German chains with special opening link

Peter Jansen

Guest
> Anyone have any first-hand experience of them? I'm talking about the 8/9
> speed chains with a special link that you can undo by hand when the
> chain's not under tension.

If you talking about the Wipperman ones then I found that the joiner
links break. I broke two of the links after about 2000 km, the chain
plates crack and then the pin drops out.

> If you talking about the Wipperman ones then I found that the joiner
> links break. I broke two of the links after about 2000 km, the chain
> plates crack and then the pin drops out.

He's possibly talking about the SACHS (used to be Sedis) with the two
identical joining side links, each has a pin and an elongated hole for the
opposing pin.... gold in colour.
They even make a fancy 9spd chain with hollow pins for reduced weight and
corresponsding frightening cost! I've only used the cheaper one on other
half's training bike, easy to remove so it can be cleaned with the
coke-bottle-with-kero-shakem trick.
Gemma

Peter Jansen wrote:
>>Anyone have any first-hand experience of them? I'm talking about the 8/9
>>speed chains with a special link that you can undo by hand when the
>>chain's not under tension.

> If you talking about the Wipperman ones then I found that the joiner
> links break. I broke two of the links after about 2000 km, the chain
> plates crack and then the pin drops out.

Yes, it is a Wipperman - I forgot the name and was too lazy to get the
box from the garage! :)

The joining links sound like the same ones on the Sachs chain as
described by Gemma in her post.

Hope it bears up OK.

&roo