Re: "Ghost" punctures

dkahn400

Guest
Skunk wrote:

> I last used my bike on Friday. I went to go to work on it
> this morning and the back tyre was flat. I pumped it up tonight
> to check it out and it appears to be staying up. Is there an
> explanation for this? I've got a date with a couple of bottles
> of home brew tonight and didn't wanna miss that for changing a
> wheel, would you risk carrying on with it, if it stays up until
> the morning?

It's either a slow puncture or a problem with the valve. Sure as eggs
is eggs it will go down again, and Murphy says it will do it at the
worst possible moment. Sometimes you can go for weeks with a tyre like
this but often it goes down a little quicker each time. I'd spend 5
minutes bunging a new tube in tonight before cracking those bottles and
put the suspect tube aside for Ron.

--
Dave...

Skunk wrote:
> Uh - ok.
> As it's been locked up in the outhouse since friday, I can rule out the
> practical joke. I was guessing it might be the valve so I'll put a new
> tube in and leave the old one for good ole Ron.
> Cheers.

When you change the tube check the inside of the tyre. Sometimes thorns
can puncture a tyre but make a fairly effective seal in doing so. I
have ridden for miles on a tyre with a thorn in but the moment you spot
it and try and move it, the tyre goes flat.

Tony

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:25:52 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>When you change the tube check the inside of the tyre. Sometimes thorns
>can puncture a tyre but make a fairly effective seal in doing so. I
>have ridden for miles on a tyre with a thorn in but the moment you spot
>it and try and move it, the tyre goes flat.

Tee hee. I've done that too. "Ooh, I ought to pull this out." Pssssss.
"Bugger!"

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain