Re: "Ghost" punctures

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Skunk
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I last used my bike on Friday. I went to go to work on it this morning
> and the back tyre was flat. I pumped it up tonight to check it out and
> it appears to be staying up. Is there an explanation for this? I've
> got a date with a couple of bottles of home brew tonight and didn't
> wanna miss that for changing a wheel, would you risk carrying on with
> it, if it stays up until the morning?

'Slow' punctures are not that uncommon. I've currently got them on both
wheels of my 'winter training' (i.e., at this time of year, general
purpose) bike. It needs the tyres pumped up once or twice a week, but
won't let you down even on a 100Km ride. Consequently it doesn't feel
worth while to whip 'em off and patch 'em.

;; Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
;; do it from  religious conviction."          -- Pascal

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:53:48 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>'Slow' punctures are not that uncommon. I've currently got them on both
>wheels of my 'winter training' (i.e., at this time of year, general
>purpose) bike. It needs the tyres pumped up once or twice a week, but
>won't let you down even on a 100Km ride. Consequently it doesn't feel
>worth while to whip 'em off and patch 'em.

Until I repleced the tube a fortnight ago I had a similar problem on
my MTB. The tyre would take a couple to days to deflate to an
unacceptable level - that was until the valve-stem came clean off the
rest of the tyre.

I may be wrong but I think my track pump is to blame, or my use of it,
perhaps. It needs a good tug to remove the pump from the tyre.

James

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I may be wrong but I think my track pump is to blame, or my use of it,
> perhaps. It needs a good tug to remove the pump from the tyre.

A bit of spit on valve or track pump thingy seems to lubricate things well.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:11:06 -0000, "Tony W"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A bit of spit on valve or track pump thingy seems to lubricate things well.

I shall try that, Tony.

Here comes the phlegm, do-do-do-do.
Here comes the phlegm, and I say ...

James