Re: gi vs. gl

Marengo

Guest
Stinky wrote:
|| Hi, I have a question about the glycemic index and load. I have
|| purchased the book "Glycemic Revolution" and have read most of it,
|| but I am confused about what to use -- the GI or GL.
|| At first the GI seemed the easiest to use, but then I read about how
|| even if a food has a high GI, if it has low carb count, then it has a
|| small impact on our insulin levels.
|| Therefore, to me, the GL seems to be the way to go. Now, am I
|| supposed to choose low GL foods with moderate-to-high carbohydrate
|| count (and a low GI), or a food that has low carbs and a low GL?

If this confuses you, why not choose an eating plan --such as Atkins --
where glycemic values are not counted?
--
Peter
~~~~

Marengo wrote:
> Stinky wrote:
>
> || Hi, I have a question about the glycemic index and load. I have
> || purchased the book "Glycemic Revolution" and have read most of it,
> || but I am confused about what to use -- the GI or GL.
>
> || At first the GI seemed the easiest to use, but then I read about how
> || even if a food has a high GI, if it has low carb count, then it has a
> || small impact on our insulin levels.
>
> || Therefore, to me, the GL seems to be the way to go. Now, am I
> || supposed to choose low GL foods with moderate-to-high carbohydrate
> || count (and a low GI), or a food that has low carbs and a low GL?
>
> If this confuses you, why not choose an eating plan --such as Atkins --
> where glycemic values are not counted?

Atkins takes glycemic values into account, which is less exacting
than counting them. The carb ladder is sorted both by glycemic
values and by odds of triggering intolerance reactions, so
following the core process does have you start with low glycemic
foods and then gradually try higher glycemic foods until you
start running into ones that cause you problems.

Doug Freyburger wrote:
|| Marengo wrote:
||| If this confuses you, why not choose an eating plan --such as
||| Atkins -- where glycemic values are not counted?
|| Atkins takes glycemic values into account, which is less exacting
|| than counting them. The carb ladder is sorted both by glycemic
|| values and by odds of triggering intolerance reactions, so
|| following the core process does have you start with low glycemic
|| foods and then gradually try higher glycemic foods until you
|| start running into ones that cause you problems.

I repeat, on Atkins you do not have to worry about counting glycemic values.
You cound carbs, and eat from recommende lists of foods for various phases.
It's much less complicated.
--
Peter
~~~~