Re: Glasses fogging up (was Re: Visibility on rainy nights)

Zebee Johnstone

Guest
In aus.bicycle on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:41:59 GMT
The Doctor <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a similar problem even during the day. On really humid days,
> how does one stop one glasses from fogging up, especially waiting
> at traffic lights. My glasses have inserts for vision correction and
> so taking them off is definitely not possible :).

pull them forward off your face so there's more cool air between them
and your warm face.

It's about the only solution and it's not a very good one....

Zebee

On Jun 12, 5:50 am, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:41:59 GMT
>
> The Doctor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a similar problem even during the day. On really humid days,
> > how does one stop one glasses from fogging up, especially waiting
> > at traffic lights. My glasses have inserts for vision correction and
> > so taking them off is definitely not possible :).

> pull them forward off your face so there's more cool air between them
> and your warm face.
>
> It's about the only solution and it's not a very good one....
>
> Zebee

Yes, unfortunately that is true. I got a pair of these clip-in glasses
once and they were a cow to keep unfogged and clean. Since then I've
gone for prescription sunnies, or contacts. Recently I got some
contacts I can sleep in (actually can wear them for a week or more),
which is great because it is horrible having to put them in early in
the morning, in a rush and with sleepy eyes.

Donga <[email protected]> wrote in news:347cd283-4b08-406b-
[email protected]:

> Yes, unfortunately that is true. I got a pair of these clip-in glasses
> once and they were a cow to keep unfogged and clean. Since then I've
> gone for prescription sunnies, or contacts. Recently I got some
> contacts I can sleep in (actually can wear them for a week or more),
> which is great because it is horrible having to put them in early in
> the morning, in a rush and with sleepy eyes.

Is that safe?

The Doctor wrote:

>> Yes, unfortunately that is true. I got a pair of these clip-in glasses
>> once and they were a cow to keep unfogged and clean. Since then I've
>> gone for prescription sunnies, or contacts. Recently I got some
>> contacts I can sleep in (actually can wear them for a week or more),
>> which is great because it is horrible having to put them in early in
>> the morning, in a rush and with sleepy eyes.

> Is that safe?

A lot safer than wearing daily contacts overnight (which I've done, though
not intentionally).

You get up the next morning and try to peel your eyeballs off. Good fun.

Zebee is talking about the "monthlies", good for a week at a time between
normal cleans, are better as far as oxygen ingress is concerned so can be kept
in for longer.

But contacts won't solve fog problems if you still wear glasses (albeit
sunglasses) because I want to protect my eyeballs against flying garbage on
the bike regardless of my eyesight issues.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:01:53 +1000, John Tserkezis wrote:

> But contacts won't solve fog problems if you still wear glasses (albeit
> sunglasses) because I want to protect my eyeballs against flying garbage on
> the bike regardless of my eyesight issues.

Yup, eyelids are **** protective googles.

I the same vein as carrying a rain coat means you'll hardly ever use it,
I've found that carryng an eyewash cup and saline soluion works (is handy
in case).

The Doctor wrote:
> Donga <[email protected]> wrote in news:347cd283-4b08-406b-
> [email protected]:
>
>> Yes, unfortunately that is true. I got a pair of these clip-in glasses
>> once and they were a cow to keep unfogged and clean. Since then I've
>> gone for prescription sunnies, or contacts. Recently I got some
>> contacts I can sleep in (actually can wear them for a week or more),
>> which is great because it is horrible having to put them in early in
>> the morning, in a rush and with sleepy eyes.
>>

> Is that safe?

I've been wearing 'extended wear' lenses for well over 30 years now, no dramas
at all. I get considerably more than a month out of them, with no issues at all.
But I do get regular check-ups.

It's just like having good eyesight again without any of the drawbacks of
spectacles.

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
Catherine Aird

terryc wrote:

>> But contacts won't solve fog problems if you still wear glasses (albeit
>> sunglasses) because I want to protect my eyeballs against flying garbage on
>> the bike regardless of my eyesight issues.

> Yup, eyelids are **** protective googles.

I'll make the assumption you're being sarcastic here.

> I the same vein as carrying a rain coat means you'll hardly ever use it,

Getting wet, is NOT the same as getting hit in the eye with flying debris.

> I've found that carryng an eyewash cup and saline soluion works (is handy
> in case).

And an eyewash cup doesn't fix scratched corneas either.
--

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:35:41 +1000, John Tserkezis wrote:

> terryc wrote:
>
>>> But contacts won't solve fog problems if you still wear glasses (albeit
>>> sunglasses) because I want to protect my eyeballs against flying garbage on
>>> the bike regardless of my eyesight issues.

>> Yup, eyelids are **** protective googles.

> I'll make the assumption you're being sarcastic here.

Nope, just supporting wearing something to protect the eyes.

> And an eyewash cup doesn't fix scratched corneas either.

exactly.

On Jun 14, 3:38 pm, Duracell Bunny <[email protected]> wrote:
> The Doctor wrote:
> > Donga <[email protected]> wrote in news:347cd283-4b08-406b-
> > [email protected]:

> >> Yes, unfortunately that is true. I got a pair of these clip-in glasses
> >> once and they were a cow to keep unfogged and clean. Since then I've
> >> gone for prescription sunnies, or contacts. Recently I got some
> >> contacts I can sleep in (actually can wear them for a week or more),
> >> which is great because it is horrible having to put them in early in
> >> the morning, in a rush and with sleepy eyes.

> > Is that safe?

> I've been wearing 'extended wear' lenses for well over 30 years now, no dramas
> at all. I get considerably more than a month out of them, with no issues at all.
> But I do get regular check-ups.
>
> It's just like having good eyesight again without any of the drawbacks of
> spectacles.
>
> --
> Karen
>
> If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
> Catherine Aird

Yes Doc it does seem to be safe, although the optometrist gives you
the standard warning to protect himself. I've been using them without
dramas, although I reserve them for occasional surfing and some longer
rides or races, because when I wear them, I need reading glasses.
Otherwise, I'd be happy to wear them like DB, day in day out. They
took a week or two to get used to, now they feel good.

Donga