Re: Go Faster New Bike Recommendations ?

Gooserider

Guest
"Steve Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I have finally decided that I need to get a lighter weight bike
> so that I can start to be able to keep up with some of the faster
> folks on club and shop rides.
>
> I am currently using a Cannondale T2000 as an all-purpose road bike.
> It was originally bought mostly for commuting so it has fenders, rear
> rack, and front handlebar bag. I made the mistake of putting it on the
> bathroom scale once and it topped out at about 38 pounds with full
> water bottles.
>
> Anyway, I'm in the market for a lighter weight regular road bike and
> would like some feedback on possible options. Cost is a consideration
> but not an overriding one.
>

> Here are the things that I want to have on the new bike:
>
> 1. The frame material I am leaning toward is TI. I have found that the
> Cannondale aluminum is pretty stiff and produces a pretty bumpy ride
> despite the wider tires. I am leaning away from carbon as too
> expensive and maybe not rugged enough and steel as too heavy. You can
> correct me if I'm wrong here. I wouldn't mind having the braze-ons for
> adding a rear rack for credit card touring.

You can have a light (not scary light) steel bike with everything you
desire, and it will last you a lifetime. I'm personally leery of carbon
because when it fails, it fails big time. Titanium is great, but steel is
real. :)

>You can have a light (not scary light) steel bike with everything you
>desire, and it will last you a lifetime. I'm personally leery of carbon
>because when it fails, it fails big time. Titanium is great, but steel is
>real. :)

I don't know why you'd fear a carbon bike more than the other frame
materials, since the most critical component - the fork - is apt to be
carbon on any moderate to high-end bike regardless of the material used in
the rest of the frame.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >You can have a light (not scary light) steel bike with everything you
> >desire, and it will last you a lifetime. I'm personally leery of carbon
> >because when it fails, it fails big time. Titanium is great, but steel is
> >real. :)

> I don't know why you'd fear a carbon bike more than the other frame
> materials, since the most critical component - the fork - is apt to be
> carbon on any moderate to high-end bike regardless of the material used in
> the rest of the frame.

Not if the OP buys a custom steel frame with a steel fork. My steel bike has
an aluminum fork, and it will likely last forever. I would rather ride a
Rivendell with its ornate steel fork than a "race" bike with a carbon fork
any day of the week.

>> >You can have a light (not scary light) steel bike with everything you
>> >desire, and it will last you a lifetime. I'm personally leery of carbon
>> >because when it fails, it fails big time. Titanium is great, but steel is
>> >real. :)

>> I don't know why you'd fear a carbon bike more than the other frame
>> materials, since the most critical component - the fork - is apt to be
>> carbon on any moderate to high-end bike regardless of the material used in
>> the rest of the frame.

>Not if the OP buys a custom steel frame with a steel fork.

I can think of one framebuilder offering steel forks. I imagine you can
remind us of a few more. The rest are using carbon forks.

> My steel bike has an aluminum fork, and it will likely last forever.

I take it you inspect the steerer occasionally. That is the weak point.

> I would rather ride a Rivendell with its ornate steel fork than a "race" bike with a carbon fork
>any day of the week.

I ride carbon and steel (OCLV carbon and a 60's vintage Sunn w/Reynolds
tubing and beautiful lug work) and enjoy them both.

Good cycling to you,

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the
same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on
a bicycle" - Helen Keller

Chris Neary wrote:

> >Not if the OP buys a custom steel frame with a steel fork.

> I can think of one framebuilder offering steel forks. I imagine you can
> remind us of a few more. The rest are using carbon forks.

Just as a point of irony, Steelman Cycles is now building custom
all-carbon bikes:

http://www.steelmancycles.com/Carbon.html

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> > http://www.steelmancycles.com/Carbon.html

> Look at this part on
> http://www.steelmancycles.com/Bike of the week.html:
>
> Some rider comments: "climbs like crazy"; "I set a new PR on my

favorite
> downhill run"; "the road disappears beneath me"; "the quietest bike I

have
> ever ridden".
>
> PR on a favorite downhill run with a lighter bike?

It all depends on the tail wind. I once hit 57mph on a Ritchie Mt bike
w/ a Fisher Fat Trax frt. tire on a very steep road. But what a tail
wind. My top speed prior was 53 mph on a 2 different road bikes. I
wanted to break the (then) national speed limit on a bike. I totally
believe my Avocet cyclometers, I calibrated them very carefully.
As to the OP's question: IMHO the material of the frame isn't nearly as
important as the fit. Find someone in your area who is highly qualified
& highly recommended. Make an appointment for a fitting. If your fit is
ordinary, you can use an off the shelf bike w/ adjustments @ stem &
saddle. Then a Ti frame would probably be affordable. But if you need a
custom frame & can afford the price of Ti, fine go for it, but if the
price is too steep, get a custom steel frame. The fit is everything. I
doubt that many would be unhappy w/ the ride / performance of a well
built custom steel frame over Ti. The only really good fitter (for lack
of a better term) I can think of right now is Ted Ernst in Manhattan
Beach, Ca. He has done several bikes for me. The last I heard he, was
in a high-end triathlon shop on PCH BL. I feel the best plan is to go
to a fitter first, rather than a custom frame builder, & pay him up
front. That way you're won't feel locked in to just one frame
builder or for that matter a custom bike.
The frame fitting & the frame that does that job is the best bicycling
$ you will have spent.
HTHs, John

In rec.bicycles.misc Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:21:48 GMT,
> <[email protected]>, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>PR on a favorite downhill run with a lighter bike?

> Heavier lock.

nah, once you hit a certain dollar value you don't lock your bike up anymore.
you just bring it with you everywhere you go. just the power of positive
thinking.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]