Re: Go Faster New Bike Recommendations ?

[email protected] wrote:
> "A Fistful of Seat-Post"
> "For a Few Gears More"
> "The Good, the Bad, and the Fury RoadMaster"
> "Once Upon A Time-Trial in the West"
>- - Sergio Leone

Days of Weinmann Roses
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > "A Fistful of Seat-Post"
> > "For a Few Gears More"
> > "The Good, the Bad, and the Fury RoadMaster"
> > "Once Upon A Time-Trial in the West"
> >- - Sergio Leone

> Days of Weinmann Roses

"High Plains Shifter"

"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >> 1) touring bikes are not designed to be more stable than "performance"
> >> bikes,

> >What do you mean by more stable?

> Less sensitive to steering inputs.
>

> >> 2) Geometry differences would not effect one's ability in keeping up

on
> >> downhills

> >What geometry differences are you talking about?

> Principally trail.
>
> >Why don't you just explain your claims. & we'll go from there?

> Why didn't you ask nicely in the first place?

Well, your claims were not reasonable, they' still not, and the burden of
proof remains on you.

If we look at concrete examples, say a current Cannondale touring frame,
and a similar size racing frame (T2000 vs. R1000, size J vs. 63cm) we see
the following:

HT: racer = 73.5 deg, tourer = 73
rake: racer = 4.5cm, tourer = 5.3
ST: racer = 72 deg, tourer = 72.5
TT: racer = 60cm, tourer = 59.7

WB: racer = 101.2, tourer = 108
CS: racer = 40.8, tourer = 45.7

Now, your contention is that there is significant difference in trail, is
0.7cm (0.28") significant? I think not, and would also point out that's a
fork dimension, not frame, FWIW. The same observation applies to the HT
angle, is 0.5 deg really significant? I don't think so.

The only significant difference between the 2 frame geometries is the
chainstay & wheelbase length. Does that make a bike more "stable"? It does
make it harder to wheelie.

How this could conceivably affect the ability to "keep up" on a downhill
road continues to baffle me.

It takes a fair amount of time to look all this stuff up and type it out.
Why don't you extend the courtesy of making a similar effort to support
your claims, rather than criticizing my lack of courtesy?

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Peter Cole" wrote:
>
> > > Maybe I made too general a statement, but I can only get my bars
> > > about 2" below the saddle on my Klein tourer.

> > You must have very little seatpost showing, which is a pretty rare

setup
> > these days.

> About a "fistfull of seat post", which once upon a time was the
> standard. The classic touring frame builders like Rivendell still
> recommend this:
>
> http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_framesize.html

Yeah, Grant recommends a lot of things, many of which I think are nuts.
But, getting back to the seatpost, he also recommends the bars level with
the saddle, which is no problem with that size frame, but if you want a lot
of drop from seat to bar, you need a smaller frame (or at least a lower
TT). If you look at the Cannondale specs. I just posted, you'll see that
there's no difference typically in frame geometry between "racing" and
"touring" frames that would affect saddle to bar drop.

Peter Cole wrote:

> HT: racer = 73.5 deg, tourer = 73
> rake: racer = 4.5cm, tourer = 5.3
> ST: racer = 72 deg, tourer = 72.5
> TT: racer = 60cm, tourer = 59.7

If these numbers are correct, then the tourer has nearly the same head
angle but more "rake" (offset). That would result in LESS trail and
less stability for the tourer.

Art Harris

>If we look at concrete examples, say a current Cannondale touring frame,
>and a similar size racing frame (T2000 vs. R1000, size J vs. 63cm) we see
>the following:
>
>HT: racer = 73.5 deg, tourer = 73
>rake: racer = 4.5cm, tourer = 5.3
>ST: racer = 72 deg, tourer = 72.5
>TT: racer = 60cm, tourer = 59.7
>
>WB: racer = 101.2, tourer = 108
>CS: racer = 40.8, tourer = 45.7
>
>Now, your contention is that there is significant difference in trail, is
>0.7cm (0.28") significant?

The useable range of trail is narrow, John Schubert lists a recommended
range for a touring bike of 5 to 5.75cm
(http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/buyersguide.cfm), while John
Forester complied values ranging from 5cm (Holdsworth Touring bike)
to 7cm (Paramount track bike)
http://www.johnforester.com/Articles/BicycleEng/dahon.htm (I've thrown out
the more extreme examples at either end of his listing), so yes, a 0.7cm
change in trail should be significant.

The only personal experience I can offer is comparing a Santana Sovereign
(4.5cm trail) to a Co-Motion Speedster (5.7cm) (both tandems). The bikes
handled very differently, with the Santana requiring large inputs to steer
while the Co-Mo required much smaller inputs, yet remained stable. I felt
like I was driving an oil tanker on the Santana, while the Co-Mo behaved
like a (long) single.

I'm not the only one who has noted this handling difference between these
two brands of bikes, it's well-accepted in the tandem community. Bill
McCready of Santana believes tandems *should* handle in the manner I've
described, and this characteristic suits the many satisfied Santana owners.

> I think not, and would also point out that's a fork dimension, not frame, FWIW.

No, trail is a *FRAME* dimension, since it is determined by both the fork
rake and head tube angle. You cannot look up a fork spec alone and know what
the trail will be.

On second thought, it is actually a dimension applicable only to a complete
bicycle, since the tire size will also effect the value. Still not a fork
dimension, FWIW.

>The same observation applies to the HT angle, is 0.5 deg really significant? I don't think so.

I'm oversimplifying, but it's the equivalent of 0.2cm change in trail in the
example we're discussing, FWIW.
REF: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/elenk.htm

>The only significant difference between the 2 frame geometries is the
>chainstay & wheelbase length. Does that make a bike more "stable"? It does
>make it harder to wheelie.

Sheldon sez it promotes stability, he also believes touring bikes are more
stable due to their relaxed front end geometry. Maybe you wish to take up
this discussion with him?
REF: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html#touringbike

>How this could conceivably affect the ability to "keep up" on a downhill
>road continues to baffle me.

There's a lot we don't know about the original poster's problem keeping up
on downhills, that's why I made a point of saying *Maybe*.

If we are talking about descents on straight roads, you are correct that
steering geometry will have *NO* effect on the ability to keep up. The
important factors will be: weight, aerodynamics, and losses from items such
as the large, low pressure, tires the poster mentioned.

OTOH, if we throw a few curves into this downhill, then rider skill and bike
geometry rise in importance. I've made my point on bike geometry. We have no
idea what skills the original poster possesses or how they compare to his
fellow riders.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the
same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on
a bicycle" - Helen Keller

>> HT: racer = 73.5 deg, tourer = 73
>> rake: racer = 4.5cm, tourer = 5.3
>> ST: racer = 72 deg, tourer = 72.5
>> TT: racer = 60cm, tourer = 59.7

>If these numbers are correct, then the tourer has nearly the same head
>angle but more "rake" (offset). That would result in LESS trail and
>less stability for the tourer.

You also have to factor in the difference in wheel diameters due to the
larger tires on the touring bike. When you do this the trail values are very
close to those published by Cannondale.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can
only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Chris Neary wrote:

> The only personal experience I can offer is comparing a Santana

Sovereign
> (4.5cm trail) to a Co-Motion Speedster (5.7cm) (both tandems). The

bikes
> handled very differently, with the Santana requiring large inputs to

steer
> while the Co-Mo required much smaller inputs, yet remained stable. I

felt
> like I was driving an oil tanker on the Santana, while the Co-Mo

behaved
> like a (long) single.

Are you confusing "rake" (offset) with trail? Trail is normally 5 cm
(2") or greater. If a bike had only 4.5 cm of trail it would anything
but sluggiish in the steering department.

For a given head angle, more "rake" (actually fork offset) yields less
trail, and quicker steering.
See:
http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/trail.html

Art Harris

"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >If we look at concrete examples, say a current Cannondale touring frame,
> >and a similar size racing frame (T2000 vs. R1000, size J vs. 63cm) we

see
> >the following:
> >
> >HT: racer = 73.5 deg, tourer = 73
> >rake: racer = 4.5cm, tourer = 5.3
> >ST: racer = 72 deg, tourer = 72.5
> >TT: racer = 60cm, tourer = 59.7
> >
> >WB: racer = 101.2, tourer = 108
> >CS: racer = 40.8, tourer = 45.7
> >
> >Now, your contention is that there is significant difference in trail,

is
> >0.7cm (0.28") significant?

> The useable range of trail is narrow, John Schubert lists a recommended
> range for a touring bike of 5 to 5.75cm
> (http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/buyersguide.cfm),

The sum total of what he has to say on the subject:

"Head tube angle
In racing circles, head tube angle is sometimes made ridiculously steep (75
degrees or more). On your bike, it will probably be 72 or 73 degrees, less
if you have a small frame. There is usually little to shop for in head tube
angle. "

"Fork rake
Rake is joined at the hip with head tube angle. Together, these two
dimensions determine trail, which determines the bike's steering stability.
"

"Trail
You want about 2 to 2-1/4 inches of trail. "

He also has the following gems, which I think are very wrong:

" It has been a long-held belief that touring bikes should have long
chainstays, and indeed, if you're carrying extremely heavy loads, you'll be
better served by the longest-possible chainstays. But my opinion is that
this dimension is overrated. "

" A lower bottom bracket makes a bike more stable. "

"Wheelbase is the sum of other dimensions, and is not an important
dimension in and of itself "

All that's getting off track, but I don't find him particularly
informative, or accurate.

> while John
> Forester complied values ranging from 5cm (Holdsworth Touring bike)
> to 7cm (Paramount track bike)
> http://www.johnforester.com/Articles/BicycleEng/dahon.htm (I've thrown

out
> the more extreme examples at either end of his listing), so yes, a 0.7cm
> change in trail should be significant.

To quote JF:

" increasing the trail increases the stability and decreasing the trail
decreases the stability. Therefore, when a design shows an improper amount
of stability, we know that the first corrective measure is to change the
amount of trail. The easiest way to do this is to change the fork rake,
although the designer may choose to change the head angle or, conceivably,
the wheel size. "

" Because steering angles and wheel sizes are pretty generally rather
similar, different bicycles have similar trail distances. Trails run
between 1-3/8" and 2-3/4". In general, racing bicycles have long trails
while utility bicycles have short trails. The difference is that racing
bicycles require great stability and are ridden by well-informed and
skilled cyclists, "

And in another section:

"Corbett, a professor of mathematics and bicycle frame builder, built an
experimental bicycle whose front fork could be adjusted to provide trail
from -7/8" to +4-5/16".

"He found that the steering characteristics fit into the pattern described
above, i.e., with trail in the low forties [approx. 1-5/8"] the bike felt
nervous, with a trail of 55 mm [1-3/16"] it had the sort of hands-off
stability which seems desirable yet still turns easily, and with a trail of
74mm [2-15/16"] it was very heavy feeling." (Chris Kvale, A Fresh Look At
Steering Geometry, Cycling U.S.A., Feb 1981)"

> The only personal experience I can offer is comparing a Santana Sovereign
> (4.5cm trail) to a Co-Motion Speedster (5.7cm) (both tandems). The bikes
> handled very differently, with the Santana requiring large inputs to

steer
> while the Co-Mo required much smaller inputs, yet remained stable. I felt
> like I was driving an oil tanker on the Santana, while the Co-Mo behaved
> like a (long) single.

Your experience doesn't agree with JF's fundamentals. The long trail bike
should be more stable, requiring larger forces to steer.

> > I think not, and would also point out that's a fork dimension, not

frame, FWIW.

> No, trail is a *FRAME* dimension, since it is determined by both the fork
> rake and head tube angle. You cannot look up a fork spec alone and know

what
> the trail will be.
>
> On second thought, it is actually a dimension applicable only to a

complete
> bicycle, since the tire size will also effect the value. Still not a fork
> dimension, FWIW.

That was my point, echo'ed by the JF quote, that trail is the important
dimension and that it can be changed with fork selection.

> >The same observation applies to the HT angle, is 0.5 deg really

significant? I don't think so.

> I'm oversimplifying, but it's the equivalent of 0.2cm change in trail in

the
> example we're discussing, FWIW.
> REF: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/elenk.htm

Plugging the Cannondale numbers into the calculator, I get 2.6cm trail for
the "race" bike, and 2.0cm for the tour bike, using the nominal wheel
radius. That makes the race bike more stable, as JF predicted. Changing to
much larger tires might increase the touring trail to perhaps 2.3cm,
according to the calculator.

> >The only significant difference between the 2 frame geometries is the
> >chainstay & wheelbase length. Does that make a bike more "stable"? It

does
> >make it harder to wheelie.

> Sheldon sez it promotes stability, he also believes touring bikes are

more
> stable due to their relaxed front end geometry. Maybe you wish to take up
> this discussion with him?
> REF: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html#touringbike

I have had several discussions with Sheldon on the subject since he is my
LBS, and did frame selection and setup on several of my bikes. He doesn't
expand on his claim of stability in his glossary, and I don't want to put
words in his mouth. He may be speaking to weight distribution, not to
steering response, though.

> >How this could conceivably affect the ability to "keep up" on a downhill
> >road continues to baffle me.

> There's a lot we don't know about the original poster's problem keeping

up
> on downhills, that's why I made a point of saying *Maybe*.
>
> If we are talking about descents on straight roads, you are correct that
> steering geometry will have *NO* effect on the ability to keep up. The
> important factors will be: weight, aerodynamics, and losses from items

such
> as the large, low pressure, tires the poster mentioned.
>
> OTOH, if we throw a few curves into this downhill, then rider skill and

bike
> geometry rise in importance. I've made my point on bike geometry. We have

no
> idea what skills the original poster possesses or how they compare to his
> fellow riders.

I think your point on geometry is mistaken, as demonstrated by your own
references. It still remains to be proven how stability in steering can
affect the ability to "keep up" (your original claim) on downhill courses.
You imply that it has to do with cornering speed. I have no argument with
the part rider skill plays in this, but that is not related to frame
geometry. Jobst Brandt has often described the importance of rider skill in
fast, curving, descents.

It is commonly claimed that touring bikes handle like trucks, while racing
bikes handle like sports cars. This is just so much misinformation, the
kind of BS that's slung around to make artificial distinctions between
bicycle models. Changing stem lengths also affects steering response, yet
doesn't seem to change sports cars into trucks. Ridiculously short
chainstays are strictly a fashion statement that negatively affects weight
distribution, tire clearance and chain angle, yet are required to make a
bike look "racey". Bikes in modern form have been around for about a
century, all this has been long worked out. Form follows function, at least
until the marketing department gets involved.

>> The only personal experience I can offer is comparing a Santana Sovereign
>> (4.5cm trail) to a Co-Motion Speedster (5.7cm) (both tandems). The bikes
>> handled very differently, with the Santana requiring large inputs to steer
>> while the Co-Mo required much smaller inputs, yet remained stable. I felt
>> like I was driving an oil tanker on the Santana, while the Co-Mo behaved
>> like a (long) single.

>Are you confusing "rake" (offset) with trail? Trail is normally 5 cm
>(2") or greater. If a bike had only 4.5 cm of trail it would anything
>but sluggiish in the steering department.

Remember, these are tandems, so the envelope of trail which is desired is
different than singles.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

>> >Now, your contention is that there is significant difference in trail,
>is
>> >0.7cm (0.28") significant?

>> The useable range of trail is narrow, John Schubert lists a recommended
>> range for a touring bike of 5 to 5.75cm
>> (http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/buyersguide.cfm),

>All that's getting off track, but I don't find him particularly
>informative, or accurate.

As you have said, "the burden of proof remains on you". Since you seem
unable to provide any references which refute Mr. Schubert's positions on a
recommended range of trail or my assessment that a 0.7cm change in trail can
be significant, I can only assume that you accept these points.

>> The only personal experience I can offer is comparing a Santana Sovereign
>> (4.5cm trail) to a Co-Motion Speedster (5.7cm) (both tandems). The bikes
>> handled very differently, with the Santana requiring large inputs to

>steer
>> while the Co-Mo required much smaller inputs, yet remained stable. I felt
>> like I was driving an oil tanker on the Santana, while the Co-Mo behaved
>> like a (long) single.

>Your experience doesn't agree with JF's fundamentals. The long trail bike
>should be more stable, requiring larger forces to steer.

Others have made arguments concerning steering response and trail similar to
JF (A personal favorite of yours, Mr. Zinn, is one). A discussion concerning
steering response and trail by a number of experienced builders may be
enlightening. REF: http://home.att.net/~thetandemlink/articles/headtube.html

I find it amusing that you readily agree with JF's arguments concerning the
effect of trail on stability, while ignoring his data which disagrees with
your contention that a 0.7cm change in trail is not significant.

>> Sheldon sez it promotes stability, he also believes touring bikes are more
>> stable due to their relaxed front end geometry. Maybe you wish to take up
>> this discussion with him?
>> REF: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html#touringbike

>I have had several discussions with Sheldon on the subject since he is my
>LBS, and did frame selection and setup on several of my bikes. He doesn't
>expand on his claim of stability in his glossary, and I don't want to put
>words in his mouth. He may be speaking to weight distribution, not to
>steering response, though.

Sheldon's words stand on their own:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_a.html#angle

>I think your point on geometry is mistaken, as demonstrated by your own
>references. It still remains to be proven how stability in steering can
>affect the ability to "keep up" (your original claim) on downhill courses.
>You imply that it has to do with cornering speed. I have no argument with
>the part rider skill plays in this, but that is not related to frame
>geometry.

Ask Sheldon about it, since his opinion appears to agree with mine, and he
is certainly more experienced on such topics than I'll ever be.

>It is commonly claimed that touring bikes handle like trucks, while racing
>bikes handle like sports cars. This is just so much misinformation, the
>kind of BS that's slung around to make artificial distinctions between
>bicycle models.

Better reread the JF article you agreed with so eagerly - it makes the
point that touring and racing bikes are designed to handle quite
differently. Here's one quote you may have missed:

"The two Holdsworth bicycles are made to almost the same dimensions because
the touring bicycle that I first purchased fitted me so well. The only
differences are that the racing bicycle has a slightly shorter rear triangle
and 3/4" less rake to the front fork, thus producing 3/4" more trail. Both
are stable, but the racing one is more so and it feels that it corners just
as you think about taking the corner. You don't have to worry about how that
bicycle will handle when you round a difficult corner in the midst of a
racing pack".

<Off-topic rant on stems and chainstays w/o supporting references snipped>

Good cycling to you,

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Someone who wants to believe something badly enough can't be
dissuaded by any amount of facts or reasoning" - Mike Vandeman

This is getting a bit off track. To bring it back to the central question,
I'd summarize by saying that the initial claim on your part (that I take
issue with) was that touring a bike might be a poor choice for the OP
since:

"The T2000, being a touring bike which may
carry heavy loads, is designed to be extremely stable. Bikes not designed
for loaded touring will be quicker handling. This geometry difference *may*
contribute to your difficulty in keeping up on downhills"

I disagree with that point, specifically that touring bikes are more stable
and slower handling.

Now, to the points you raise:

"Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As you have said, "the burden of proof remains on you". Since you seem
> unable to provide any references which refute Mr. Schubert's positions on

> recommended range of trail or my assessment that a 0.7cm change in trail

can
> be significant, I can only assume that you accept these points.

The question is the difference in trail, and the effect on handling.
Comparing apples to apples, the T2000 differs in trail from its (same
manufacturer) racing bike in 0.6cm of trail, with same size tires. If the
touring bike has larger tires, the difference will be less (0.3cm for 35mm
tire vs. 25mm tire).

Every source cited so far describes the effect of greater trail as making a
bike more stable. In the case of the touring bike referenced (T2000), the
trail is 0.6cm *less* than its racing counterpart.

> >> The only personal experience I can offer is comparing a Santana

Sovereign
> >> (4.5cm trail) to a Co-Motion Speedster (5.7cm) (both tandems). The

bikes
> >> handled very differently, with the Santana requiring large inputs to

> >steer
> >> while the Co-Mo required much smaller inputs, yet remained stable. I

felt
> >> like I was driving an oil tanker on the Santana, while the Co-Mo

behaved
> >> like a (long) single.

> >Your experience doesn't agree with JF's fundamentals. The long trail

bike
> >should be more stable, requiring larger forces to steer.

> Others have made arguments concerning steering response and trail similar

> JF (A personal favorite of yours, Mr. Zinn, is one). A discussion

concerning
> steering response and trail by a number of experienced builders may be
> enlightening. REF:

http://home.att.net/~thetandemlink/articles/headtube.html

This is a very long-winded collection of opinions. It's about tandems
specifically, although that shouldn't affect the relationship between trail
and stability.

The opinions are somewhat contradictory.

Glenn Ericson feels that more trail makes handling "quicker".

Todd Shusterman (da Vinci) disagrees, saying that more trail makes for
"truck"-like handling, less for "twitchy" (conventional view).

Andy Dyson (Bilenky) rambles on & on, but basically seems to say more trail
is more stable, and gives a standard trail of 4.2cm. This agrees with
Shusterman that tandems should have less trail than singles because of the
extra weight.

Dwan Shepard (Co-Motion) rambles on & on, takes issue with Leonard Zinn
over more trail = more stability, but then agrees that this is true for
high speed, but feels short trail helps low speed stability.

I don't know what point you are trying to make by citing this article,
perhaps you could provide your own summary.

> I find it amusing that you readily agree with JF's arguments concerning

the
> effect of trail on stability, while ignoring his data which disagrees

with
> your contention that a 0.7cm change in trail is not significant.

I referred to Forrester (which you cited) only to point out his
description of the relationship between stability and trail was the
opposite of yours.

Again, the quantitative effect is less important than the qualitative,
which you have backwards. I don't think that 0.6cm of trail will make such
a quantitative difference as to make a differnce in someone "keeping up" on
a downhill course. I don't think Forrester or any other source you've
referenced would support that claim.

> Sheldon's words stand on their own:
> http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_a.html#angle
>
> >I think your point on geometry is mistaken, as demonstrated by your own
> >references. It still remains to be proven how stability in steering can
> >affect the ability to "keep up" (your original claim) on downhill

courses.
> >You imply that it has to do with cornering speed. I have no argument

with
> >the part rider skill plays in this, but that is not related to frame
> >geometry.

> Ask Sheldon about it, since his opinion appears to agree with mine, and

he
> is certainly more experienced on such topics than I'll ever be.

What Sheldon says (complete):

"The usual angles that are referred to in frame design are the head-tube
(or fork) angle and the seat-tube angle. These angles are usually measured
with reference to the horizontal. The typical range is from 68 to 75
degrees. "
"In general, bicycles with shallower, "slack", "relaxed" angles (lower
numbers) tend to be more stable and comfortable. Bicycles with steeper,
more upright angles (higher numbers) tend to be manuverable, but less
comfortable on rough surfaces. Shallower frames tend to have longer wheel
bases than more upright frames; bicycles with shallower head angles
normally have more fork rake. All of these factors contribute to the riding
characteristics cited. "

It seems your "agreement" seems to rest on the single point that "shallower
angles ... tend to be more stable".

First, I'd point out that the above are general statements, applying to the
range of all bike geometries, and that the difference between the actual
bikes (T2000 vs. road equivalent) are 0.5 degree, out of that range
(68-75). More importantly, while it is true that, all other things being
equal, slacking the HT angle would increase the trail (0.5deg = +0.3cm),
the actual forks provided have a greater difference in offset (rake),
making the touring bike have *less* trail. You are misapplying Sheldon's
broad generalities.

> Better reread the JF article you agreed with so eagerly - it makes the
> point that touring and racing bikes are designed to handle quite
> differently. Here's one quote you may have missed:
>
> "The two Holdsworth bicycles are made to almost the same dimensions

because
> the touring bicycle that I first purchased fitted me so well. The only
> differences are that the racing bicycle has a slightly shorter rear

triangle
> and 3/4" less rake to the front fork, thus producing 3/4" more trail.

Both
> are stable, but the racing one is more so and it feels that it corners

just
> as you think about taking the corner. You don't have to worry about how

that
> bicycle will handle when you round a difficult corner in the midst of a
> racing pack".

This quote refers to a difference in trail of >3x what we were originally
comparing (T2000, etc.). He describes both bikes as stable, with the much
longer trail bike being more so (as everyone other than you seems to agree
on).

To put things into perspective, consider that the trail over the complete
size range of a racing bike like the Trek Madone varies from 6.2cm (small
frame) to 5.0 (large frame) and the Trek 520 (touring "tank") varies from
6.4cm to 5.5cm. Forrester is expressing a preference for a bike with almost
7cm of trail. He's either a midget, has peculiar taste, or perhaps it
doesn't matter that much.

> "Someone who wants to believe something badly enough can't be
> dissuaded by any amount of facts or reasoning" - Mike Vandeman

I should know better than to attempt to discuss something with a MV fan. I
wish you had shared this at the outset, I would have saved myself the
trouble.