rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Re: GPS ride profile and recommendation

Started by john_childs · · Last activity · 5 posts · 165 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
10 September 2007
Last activity
10 September 2007
Original author
john_childs
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
165
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I used to bring my GPS on all my rides. I wanted to track speed,
    distance, elevation, etc.

    My rides turned into events to get better numbers on the GPS. The
    rides were no longer just for fun.

    I have now stopped using the GPS except for rides where I am riding in
    unfamiliar territory and may need the GPS for its locating
    capabilities.

    My weakness now is that I still wear my watch and I have been unable to
    keep myself from looking at it at the bottom of long climbs and then
    again at the top. I went on a muni ride yesterday at Tiger Mountain.
    I can tell you that it took me 35 minutes to do the climb (1140 feet in
    a little over 3 miles). The good news is that I didn't allow the fact
    I was tracking the climb on my watch to make me push the pace. I
    stayed at a nice comfortable easy pace and didn't push it at any point.
    When I was riding with the GPS I'd be spent at the top of the climb
    because I was riding for numbers. Funny thing is I would have been
    happy back then with a 35 minute climb on that hill. I'm faster now
    and doing the climb with no difficulty and better yet I'm enjoying the
    ride.

    I'm not riding to train for an event. I'm riding to have fun. Riding
    with a GPS interfered with the fun aspect. Now I just gotta get myself
    to stop tracking myself with my watch.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Team Never Wash Your Muni
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64117

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. john_childs said:

    [...] I wanted to track speed, distance, elevation, etc.
    [...] The rides were no longer just for fun.

    I don't get how doing something you apparently want to do, takes away
    the fun? You are touching upon the finer subtleties of the word 'fun'.
    To me though, part of the fun is in tracking myself. You're right, it
    involves pushing myself to get better (faster or whatever) next time,
    or at least as a trend, but I like to do that.

    The whole GPS tracking thing is (or was) probably some kind of
    compulsion or addiction to you, maybe like someone who wants to give up
    smoking but can't. But then again, what is so harmful about knowing
    your speed, or pushing yourself for that matter? I say, if you enjoy
    it, do it.

    --
    Klaas Bil
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64117

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. You are never going to do it unless it's something German. Anything not
    German is obsolete and inferior.

    --
    ThePhantomQuabColon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ThePhantomQuabColon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15735
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64117

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. john_childs said:

    I used to bring my GPS on all my rides. I wanted to track speed,
    distance, elevation, etc.

    My rides turned into events to get better numbers on the GPS. The
    rides were no longer just for fun.

    I guess it's good you stopped then. I don't ride to get numbers on the
    GPS, but I love to look at them after the ride. On this particular
    ride I enjoyed watching as my elevation increased, and figuring the
    ascent of each chunk of the climb. I guess I haven't used it on too
    many repeat rides yet, so I haven't started comparing times yet. I
    can't wait to get the profile from thiis weekend's 'Whiteface climb'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63900).

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo
    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

    - a few 'uni race write-ups'
    (http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
    - muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
    (http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64117

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. i totally agree with john childs. Watching your average speed (i only
    ever did it on a bike) is stupid and annoying. (to me anwyays)

    However that gps tracking looks awesome and really looks like a laugh.
    It all depends why you are riding for and if you care about the
    numbers. I cant help caring if they are there.

    --
    brendan

    [10:10] Amanda: can i have big [censored]?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64117

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.