Re: Grinding Almonds for use as flour in recipes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "scott123" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dee Randall Wrote:
    >> "scott123" [email protected] wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Yogi Gupta Wrote:-
    >> I agree with Sheldon thats why I rated his response as five stars.
    >> "Blenders don't make almonds oily, almonds ARE oily (all nuts are
    >> oily). "
    >>
    >> Still! You can play a little trick.
    >> 1. Freeze the almonds before making the flour. Process frozen
    >> almonds.
    >> 2. Use small quntity at a time,, half a cup
    >> 3. Use a food processor, pulse to create coarse powder.
    >>
    >> Yogi-
    >>
    >> I don't agree with Sheldon's assessment that almond flour has been
    >> chemically defatted. Not the almond flour I buy. Peanut flour is
    >> often
    >> defatted, but not almond.
    >>
    >> I freeze my almonds as well before processing and I get the exact
    >> same
    >> results as the almond flour I've bought. I also freeze the fp
    >> bowl/blade.
    >>

    >> --
    >> scott123-
    >>
    >> Thanks, Scott, do you use your almond flour for flour in breads, cakes
    >> or
    >> cookies. Can you give me one type of recipe that you do use it for?
    >> Also,
    >> do you feel that using your fp for frozen almonds will dull your blade
    >>
    >> pretty darned fast.
    >> I dulled my last fp blade doing very hard cheeses.
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Dee Dee

    > Dee, my apologies for the delay. I've used almond flour in quick
    > breads (pumpkin), cakes and cookies. My goals have been to cut the
    > carbs/glycemic impact that I would get from regular flour. Almond flour
    > works especially well when combined with vital wheat gluten. I have an
    > almond flour/gluten pancake recipe that I'm especially pleased with.
    >
    > As far as the blade dulling... I haven't noticed it. As hard as almonds
    > are, I still think they're softer than a hard cheese. Think about how
    > easily an almond grates vs. a chunk of parm.

    > scott123

    Thanks, Scott123, for answering. Your blade dulling answer is a good one.
    Yes, you must be right.
    I'll remember to free the almonds first before I put them in the fp.
    My appreciation,
    Dee Dee