Re: Ground Hugger steering mechanism

>Why not? I think it looks really really low slung and comfy too.

Pay attention to the seating position. It is almost upright. That
puts most of your weight on your butt which will result in numb
feet/toes and a sore butt. This phenomenon is so common it has a
name: "recumbutt".

A more reclined seating position is far more comfortable, though you
can go too far that way too.

Long wheelbase bikes such as this are usually wobbly at low speeds and
can get pretty scary on gravel/sand because the front wheel is so
lightly loaded.

There are many other bikes that would make much better "first"
recumbents.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> >Why not? I think it looks really really low slung and comfy too.

> Pay attention to the seating position. It is almost upright. That
> puts most of your weight on your butt which will result in numb
> feet/toes and a sore butt. This phenomenon is so common it has a
> name: "recumbutt".
>
> A more reclined seating position is far more comfortable, though you
> can go too far that way too.
>
> Long wheelbase bikes such as this are usually wobbly at low speeds and
> can get pretty scary on gravel/sand because the front wheel is so
> lightly loaded.
>
> There are many other bikes that would make much better "first"
> recumbents.

Yes, you do have some pretty good points there.. Think I'll just consider
those SWB entry level recumebents, the Taiwanese Actionbent models.

Thanks once again.

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote

> "MIn Kak" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I hope you're not thinking of building one of those bikes.

> > Why not? I think it looks really really low slung and comfy too.

> Well the problem is few have actually been built so you would have no idea
> how well it rides until you build one.

Or how easy the construction methods are and well it holds up.

Still it would be nice to have more (even one reported?) data
point for this (relatively dated?) design.

Jon Meinecke

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > "MIn Kak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Why not? I think it looks really really low slung and comfy too.

> > Well the problem is few have actually been built so you would have no

idea
> > how well it rides until you build one.
> >

> Or how easy the construction methods are and well it holds up.
>
> Still it would be nice to have more (even one reported?) data
> point for this (relatively dated?) design.
>
> Jon Meinecke

I think what happens is people like the idea of constructing a bike until
they have to start constructing one, then it ends up as that project they
will someday finish sitting in the back of the garage