Re: Group etiquette

Edward Dolan

Guest
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

Michael Warner wrote:

Hi group,

I've been doing 2-3 group rides a week without any problems for
a few months now, but a guy I didn't know got stuck into me
the other day (how rude is it to do that without even introducing
yourself?) for not "looking after" him when he was behind me
in rotation. His complaints were:

- I kicked too hard to close any gap ahead of me in the passing lane
when things fouled up, opening one up in front of him instead. Apparently
I (gasp) even got out of the saddle a couple of times, obviously doing my
best to drop him!

- I didn't inform him that he was now last every time I moved to the
passing lane. Generally I only do this the first couple of times around,
until something happens to change our order.

Who's being unreasonable here?

Dave wrote:

He is just organised.. You know right lane moves up, left lane back..
as you move of the back of the left lane to the right lane and up
next to the new last man in the left lane .. you tell him he is last,
you know in case he is a triathlete :) and thus thinks spatial awareness
is an astronomy class.

These bunches do exist.. been in one or two.. but I always feel they are
slumming having me near them... more to the point THEY think they are
slumming :) These people think 3 inches is enough clearence too. I,m
only comfortable that close to someone these days while having sex :)

> Dave wrote:
>>
>> These people think 3 inches is enough clearence too. I,m
>> only comfortable that close to someone these days while having sex :)

> on a bike???
>
> now THAT's impressive

You should only be having sex if you want to create offspring. Sex for any
other purpose is immoral and disgusting.

My recommendation is that you desist altogether as there are already too
many people in the world. Have some consideration for other animal species
that occupy the planet with us. We are crowding them out with our rabbit
like instinct for procreation. The way things are going we will end up with
just ourselves, the rats and the cockroaches. All the tsunamis don't make a
dent in the world population. Where is the bubonic plague (the Black Death)
when it is needed?

So I won't be accused of being totally off topic all the time, group
etiquette dictates that you remain at least 6 feet away from your fellow
human beings at all times. Why would anyone ever want to get any closer. We
are nothing but smelly apes. It is best never to shake hands with anyone
either. All you are doing is spreading your disgusting germs around. The
thought of kissing anyone ought to send shivers up and down your spine.
Howard Hughes had it right. Go hide yourself and abhor all human contact
(except for Usenet of course). And use lots of Kleenix for such things as
door knobs and telephones.

We need to isolate ourselves from one another. "Every man is an island, no
man is part of the continent." That is a bit of Biblical wisdom for those of
you who still think there is a God, although I have it on good authority
that He died a few centuries ago. Darwin and Science killed Him.

I do not want to be accused anymore of being off topic as I have just proven
I can be on topic when the occasion calls for it. I have pronounced the last
word on Group Etiquette. Unless you have got a doctorate degree in sociology
and anthropology, I do not want to hear from you. I am tired of being nit
picked to death by dwarfs.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

aka

Saint Edward - Order of the Perpetual Miseries - Minnesota

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
>> in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Michael Warner wrote:
>>
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I've been doing 2-3 group rides a week without any problems for
>> a few months now, but a guy I didn't know got stuck into me
>> the other day (how rude is it to do that without even introducing
>> yourself?) for not "looking after" him when he was behind me
>> in rotation. His complaints were:
>>
>> - I kicked too hard to close any gap ahead of me in the passing lane
>> when things fouled up, opening one up in front of him instead. Apparently
>> I (gasp) even got out of the saddle a couple of times, obviously doing my
>> best to drop him!
>>
>> - I didn't inform him that he was now last every time I moved to the
>> passing lane. Generally I only do this the first couple of times around,
>> until something happens to change our order.
>>
>> Who's being unreasonable here?
>>
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>> He is just organised.. You know right lane moves up, left lane back..
>> as you move of the back of the left lane to the right lane and up
>> next to the new last man in the left lane .. you tell him he is last,
>> you know in case he is a triathlete :) and thus thinks spatial awareness
>> is an astronomy class.
>>
>> These bunches do exist.. been in one or two.. but I always feel they are
>> slumming having me near them... more to the point THEY think they are
>> slumming :) These people think 3 inches is enough clearence too. I,m
>> only comfortable that close to someone these days while having sex :)

>>>on a bike???
>>>
>>>now THAT's impressive

>> You should only be having sex if you want to create offspring. Sex for
>> any other purpose is immoral and disgusting.

> How booring. Actually sex beetween consenting people who like each other.
> is at the very worse.. good and enjoyable exercise and at the best much
> much better than that.

Sex is the most serious business in the world. It should never be engaged in
for any other reason than procreation. All the sexually transmitted diseases
in the world, including the deadly AIDS, is nature's pronouncement on "good
and enjoyable." No, sex is serious business and is not here to be enjoyed.
Looked at in a certain way, it is nothing but drudgery. But nature has
provided some pleasure to go along with it to make damn sure that we do it.
After all, nature is only concerned with the perpetuation of the species.
That is why nature can kill individuals with abandon as long as the species
survives.

>> My recommendation is that you desist altogether as there are already too
>> many people in the world. Have some consideration for other animal
>> species that occupy the planet with us. We are crowding them out with our
>> rabbit like instinct for procreation. The way things are going we will
>> end up with just ourselves, the rats and the cockroaches. All the
>> tsunamis don't make a dent in the world population. Where is the bubonic
>> plague (the Black Death) when it is needed?

> Sadly here I am in total agreement. Actually its more like horrifyingly.
>>
>> So I won't be accused of being totally off topic all the time, group
>> etiquette dictates that you remain at least 6 feet away from your fellow
>> human beings at all times. Why would anyone ever want to get any closer.
>> We are nothing but smelly apes. It is best never to shake hands with
>> anyone either. All you are doing is spreading your disgusting germs
>> around. The thought of kissing anyone ought to send shivers up and down
>> your spine. Howard Hughes had it right. Go hide yourself and abhor all
>> human contact (except for Usenet of course). And use lots of Kleenix for
>> such things as door knobs and telephones.

> Gawd

That is what everybody says when they hear my view on things. Quite a
mystery to me I must say.

However, all of the above was tongue in cheek. Apparently I need to
exaggerate even more.

>> We need to isolate ourselves from one another. "Every man is an island,
>> no man is part of the continent." That is a bit of Biblical wisdom for
>> those of you who still think there is a God, although I have it on good
>> authority that He died a few centuries ago. Darwin and Science killed
>> Him.
>>
>> I do not want to be accused anymore of being off topic as I have just
>> proven I can be on topic when the occasion calls for it. I have
>> pronounced the last word on Group Etiquette. Unless you have got a
>> doctorate degree in sociology and anthropology, I do not want to hear
>> from you. I am tired of being nit picked to death by dwarfs.
>>

> Ummm. I did a masters in sociology.. And so little use it did me. I was
> under the impression it would teach me more about women and I would get
> laid more often. Alas it didnt work.

Sociology - me too. But a very strong minor in anthropolgy.

> Anyway Ed. feel free to come no closer than 6 feet to a consenting woman.
> And feel free to not procreate. Let me not discourage you.
>
> For my part I will feel free to get as close as trust allows. However
> since I have trouble taking care of a cat. (well no I don;t but it is a
> responsibility) I may try to avoid procreation my self. Getting a tad old
> for that anyway :)

I have got 8 cats, 4 males and 4 females. It is quite a job keeping them
separate, but if I don't
I will end up with hundreds of them. Because of my experience with cats, I
am death on procreation.
Maybe sex just for the pleasure of it might be a good thing after all.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
> [...]

> just ourselves, the rats and the cockroaches. All the tsunamis don't make a
> dent in the world population. Where is the bubonic plague (the Black Death)
> when it is needed?

Sadly here I am in total agreement. Actually its more like horrifyingly.

> So I won't be accused of being totally off topic all the time, group
> etiquette dictates that you remain at least 6 feet away from your fellow
> human beings at all times. Why would anyone ever want to get any closer. We
> are nothing but smelly apes. It is best never to shake hands with anyone
> either. All you are doing is spreading your disgusting germs around. The
> thought of kissing anyone ought to send shivers up and down your spine.
> Howard Hughes had it right. Go hide yourself and abhor all human contact
> (except for Usenet of course). And use lots of Kleenix for such things as

Gawd

> We need to isolate ourselves from one another. "Every man is an island, no
> man is part of the continent." That is a bit of Biblical wisdom for those of
> you who still think there is a God, although I have it on good authority
> that He died a few centuries ago. Darwin and Science killed Him.
>
> I do not want to be accused anymore of being off topic as I have just proven
> I can be on topic when the occasion calls for it. I have pronounced the last
> word on Group Etiquette. Unless you have got a doctorate degree in sociology
> and anthropology, I do not want to hear from you. I am tired of being nit
> picked to death by dwarfs.

Ummm. I did a masters in sociology.. And so little use it did me. I
was under the impression it would teach me more about women and I would
get laid more often. Alas it didnt work.

Anyway Ed. feel free to come no closer than 6 feet to a consenting
woman. And feel free to not procreate. Let me not discourage you.

For my part I will feel free to get as close as trust allows. However
since I have trouble taking care of a cat. (well no I don;t but it is a
responsibility) I may try to avoid procreation my self. Getting a tad
old for that anyway :)

Dave