Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Half Step and Granny - which front derailleur?

Started by Michael Press · · Last activity · 1 post · 448 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 May 2008
Last activity
18 May 2008
Original author
Michael Press
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
448
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    James Thomson said:

    For reasons I won't bore you with, I'd like to try a half-step and granny
    gearing system. I'm willing to entertain suggestions that it's ill-advised,
    but I'd like to try it for myself all the same, and I have most of the parts
    I need to get started.

    Likely gearing will be 45-42-granny at the front, and either
    11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28 or 12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 (eight of nine) at the
    rear.

    Questions:

    What front derailleur would you choose, and why?

    Given the above, what size granny would you shoot for?

    Shifters will be either older Campag Ergos, Shimano barcons, or downtube
    levers, so front indexing isn't an issue.

    What is the lowest gear you want?
    What wheel size do you run?
    Is this fully loaded touring or heavy off-road going?
    If not a 30 granny will be sufficient.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.