Re: Halloween Message: Ignore all messages launched by a troll ...

Edward Dolan

Guest
"daytoncapri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

[newsgroups expanded]

> This a suggestion for dealing with an irritant - ignore it.
>
> I see that a posting tree in this group has grown substantially from an
> original post by a troll. (We will use no names here.)
>
> The size of the posting tree - as you talk with each other - is a form
> of gratification for the trolls original post - so don't provide it.
> The troll will happily post at a ratio of his to others of 4-to-1,
> 5-to-1, 20-to 1 - as long as he/she gets a response.
>
> Regardless of your content, the mere fact that you made a post in
> response to him (that includes to someone else under his orginal post),
> makes the troll happy, and reinforces that behavior.
>
> If you really get the troll going, he will be delighted to paint the
> entire page with multiple OPs.
>
> [Yes, I see the irony - I am responding in my own way - too.]
>
> You don't really know who the troll is - a dolt, a genius or a fool, or
> a tired, anemic sick baby boomer, a paranoid, a very smart and happy
> and otherwise well-adjusted adolescent, or a person who once was an
> authentic personality - and then lost it, or something else. Any
> characterization in your posts won't make the mark. By missing the
> mark, it only encourages the troll to enjoy the anonymity and
> reinforces the compulsion to post.
>
> The solution is to not respond, here are THREE WAYS TO NOT RESPOND
>
> 1. Refuse to answer any original post from a troll. (Unless, of course,
> if you yourself are a troll)
>
> 2. Refuse to build the posting tree. Do not post under a subject that
> was initiated by a troll. (Unless, of course, if you yourself are a
> troll)
>
> 3. Finally, please do not respond to this particular post, i.e, this
> message you are reading. Seriously. It's a waste for everyone. The
> best way to demonstrate that you agree with my thinking is to not post
> a reply. (Unless, of course, if you yourself are a troll)
>
> Let's move on to real conversation. There's a lot of good people in
> this group with a variety of good questions and helpful answers.
>
> We have important things to share about cycling - let's come here for
> those purposes.
>
> So . . . somebody, how about posting a new topic - on topic?
>
> End of message

All of the above is nothing but the purest gobbledygook by a know-nothing
moron.

However, the cycling newsgroups are now being visited by a real troll which
will give all of you an opportunity to learn what a troll is by what a troll
does. It is easy not to respond to him because he never says anything. His
messages are really just a form of spam, mindless and vacuous. But I am glad
that he is here so that the rest of you can FINALLY learn something about
trolls.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is powered
by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries. This
type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of resistance
that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that moves. I don't
think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would really be an electric
vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Jeff

Jeff Grippe wrote:
> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
> powered by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
> batteries. This type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the
> level of resistance that they desire for cycling and still have a
> vehicle that moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an HPV
> since it would really be an electric vehicle with the option of using
> a human to charge it.

Driving a generator to charge a battery to drive a motor is going to be
*way* more inefficient that a simple chain drive and derailleur. Who wants
to pedal harder than they have to already to make progress?

Tim

Tim Downie wrote:
> Jeff Grippe wrote:
>> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
>> powered by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
>> batteries. This type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the
>> level of resistance that they desire for cycling and still have a
>> vehicle that moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an HPV
>> since it would really be an electric vehicle with the option of using
>> a human to charge it.

> Driving a generator to charge a battery to drive a motor is going to be
> *way* more inefficient that a simple chain drive and derailleur. Who wants
> to pedal harder than they have to already to make progress?
>
> Tim

It seems to me that the vehicle would weight so much and would take so
much electricity to drive it that you would have to a very high gear
ratio in order to spin the generator fast enough to charge the batteries
to drive the vehicle that you would be much better off just buying a
nice lightweight bicycle.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

Jeff Grippe wrote:
> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is powered
> by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries. This
> type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of resistance
> that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that moves. I don't
> think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would really be an electric
> vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.

Seems like a bad alternative way of providing an electric assist, which
is already widely available. Some assist systems /require/ a degree of
pedalling input (Pedelecs), but others let the rider choose to either do
all the work themselves, some of it, or (at least for a time) nothing.
You might wonder why you'd want the former, but legislation and legailty
accounts for most of the answers.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:11:21 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is powered
>by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries. This
>type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of resistance
>that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that moves. I don't
>think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would really be an electric
>vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.
>
>Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Any competent engineer would look at the significant power losses in
the two points of energy conversion of crank->generation and
generation->storage, and immediately conclude that this was a really,
really intensely bad idea by comparison to direct coupling of the
crank to the wheel via a chain.

Yes, I am dead certain that what you propose has been tried, since
examples of battery-powered bicycles and examples of human-powered
generation systems are trivially easy to find as far back as the first
decade of the 20th century. The fact that no such lash-up as you
propose is actually produced for sale, when there has been a hundred
years' worth of experimentation involved, should be a big clue.

Do not let my observations dissuade you from spending your own money
in an attempt to make it work, however. Some of us value the
entertainment factor in watching such endeavors as they are pursued to
their conclusion. I would, however, counsel against seeking venture
capital for the project; some investors have a tendency to become a
bit testy when their money proves ill-spent.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:48:28 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jeff Grippe wrote:
>> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is powered
>> by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries. This
>> type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of resistance
>> that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that moves. I don't
>> think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would really be an electric
>> vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.

>Seems like a bad alternative way of providing an electric assist, which
>is already widely available. Some assist systems /require/ a degree of
>pedalling input (Pedelecs), but others let the rider choose to either do
>all the work themselves, some of it, or (at least for a time) nothing.
>You might wonder why you'd want the former, but legislation and legailty
>accounts for most of the answers.

I believe that lack of range on batteries and the uselessness of a
vehicle that has a grossly inefficient drivetrain is a far more
important factor in the way electric-assist bikes are made.

Oh, and lest anyone start flogging the regenerative braking horse yet
again, the bloody corpse decayed into a festering mass and was
shoveled out into the dumpster long since. Please do your flailing
out there.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

BionX makes such electric assist setups. While there isn't true recharging,
there is regenerative ability while braking etc. On the BionX units you can
set the assist to 25%, 50%, 100% or 200% and, I believe there is different
settings for the regenerating. I have seen the set up on Catrike Road
trikes. The guy who rides it is like superman on the hills. They are pretty
pricy though, about $1500.00 Canadian for the most powerful motor and best
battery combination.

Grolsch

news:[email protected]...

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:48:28 +0000, Peter Clinch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Jeff Grippe wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is powered
>>>by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries. This
>>>type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of resistance
>>>that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that moves. I don't
>>>think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would really be an electric
>>>vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.

>>Seems like a bad alternative way of providing an electric assist, which
>>is already widely available. Some assist systems /require/ a degree of
>>pedalling input (Pedelecs), but others let the rider choose to either do
>>all the work themselves, some of it, or (at least for a time) nothing.
>>You might wonder why you'd want the former, but legislation and legailty
>>accounts for most of the answers.

> I believe that lack of range on batteries and the uselessness of a
> vehicle that has a grossly inefficient drivetrain is a far more
> important factor in the way electric-assist bikes are made.
>
> Oh, and lest anyone start flogging the regenerative braking horse yet
> again, the bloody corpse decayed into a festering mass and was
> shoveled out into the dumpster long since. Please do your flailing
> out there.

Do you mean the Vectrix motor scooter

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/03/vectrix_electri_1.php

Sniper8052

"Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> writes:

> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is powered
> by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries.

You might want to look up the efficiency of a battery to see why this
is a bad idea.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:08:21 GMT, "Sniper8052(L96A1)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> Oh, and lest anyone start flogging the regenerative braking horse yet
>> again, the bloody corpse decayed into a festering mass and was
>> shoveled out into the dumpster long since. Please do your flailing
>> out there.

>Do you mean the Vectrix motor scooter
>
>http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/03/vectrix_electri_1.php

It can recover up to 5% of the energy used in acceleration when
braking[1]. That's not enough to extend the range appreciably.

In any event, that is not a bicycle of any type. It's an electric
scooter.

[1] If they claim more than 5%, what else are they exaggerating?
--

Grolch wrote:
> BionX makes such electric assist setups. While there isn't true
> recharging, there is regenerative ability while braking etc. On the
> BionX units you can set the assist to 25%, 50%, 100% or 200% and, I
> believe there is different settings for the regenerating. I have seen
> the set up on Catrike Road trikes. The guy who rides it is like
> superman on the hills.

Please elaorate. Do you mean he rides up hills wearing a cape, rides up
hills effortlessly or rides up hills putting in an effort that only Superman
is capable of?

Tim

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Grolch wrote:
>> BionX makes such electric assist setups. While there isn't true
>> recharging, there is regenerative ability while braking etc. On the
>> BionX units you can set the assist to 25%, 50%, 100% or 200% and, I
>> believe there is different settings for the regenerating. I have seen
>> the set up on Catrike Road trikes. The guy who rides it is like
>> superman on the hills.

> Please elaorate. Do you mean he rides up hills wearing a cape, rides up
> hills effortlessly or rides up hills putting in an effort that only
> Superman is capable of?
>
> Tim

He rides up hills like I wish I could... effortlessly

"Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
> powered by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
> batteries. This type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the
> level of resistance that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle
> that moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would
> really be an electric vehicle with the option of using a human to charge
> it.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Yes, it lasted about 5 minutes. What has been found is that a freewheeler
(FW) has much less impact than the regenerative (RG) type. The FW has more
range. But, the freewheeler will put back just a little if you pedal but
not enough to depend on. I don't know if it the regen on the FW or the fact
you gave your batteries a rest for a bit and the deep cycle found a few amps
laying around.

I drive a "Hybrid" on a daily basis and find that it works like a bike when
I:

1. Come to a hill and help the motor (hint: Slow down with the electics
until your center front gear and high range back gear can be used, this
helps to extend your range in hills)

2. Crossing Traffic. Using both the motor and the pedals gets you a much
better acceleration than either alone.

3. At low speeds, your inhub motor will have low torgue. Pedal until it
gets to a point where the motor can handle it. I don't suggest the rear
geared and chain type since even with the freewheeling feature there is
still a bit of drag. The Inhub model is in the front wheel hub and
freewheels with no drag other than spinning weight.

4. I need to pedal for health reasons. I do have the option to do this
since it's still a bike and nothing has changed on the rear wheel. But my
knee is going fast so I can't do it for as long as I used to. Hence: The
Hybrid.

5. The more you pedal the more range you will have, period.

If you need to get one of the inhub kits, go to http://www.i70west.com and
contact me. We can get one right out to you.

Daryl Hunt

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:11:21 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
>>powered
>>by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries.
>>This
>>type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of resistance
>>that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that moves. I don't
>>think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would really be an
>>electric
>>vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.
>>
>>Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

> Any competent engineer would look at the significant power losses in
> the two points of energy conversion of crank->generation and
> generation->storage, and immediately conclude that this was a really,
> really intensely bad idea by comparison to direct coupling of the
> crank to the wheel via a chain.
>
> Yes, I am dead certain that what you propose has been tried, since
> examples of battery-powered bicycles and examples of human-powered
> generation systems are trivially easy to find as far back as the first
> decade of the 20th century. The fact that no such lash-up as you
> propose is actually produced for sale, when there has been a hundred
> years' worth of experimentation involved, should be a big clue.

Contact Union Pacific. They use that but they have 5000 hp diesels running
alternators without no battery assist. What's a little ineffiency between
friends on this one.

> Do not let my observations dissuade you from spending your own money
> in an attempt to make it work, however. Some of us value the
> entertainment factor in watching such endeavors as they are pursued to
> their conclusion. I would, however, counsel against seeking venture
> capital for the project; some investors have a tendency to become a
> bit testy when their money proves ill-spent.

You should see my latest creation. I made an Electric Chopper Bike with
about a 15 mile range. It doesn't even look like a bicycle at all but under
all that trim is still a pedal bike.

"Bill Z." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
>> powered
>> by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the batteries.

> You might want to look up the efficiency of a battery to see why this
> is a bad idea.

Batteries regen a bit if you just let them sit. I do this all the time.
The Yellow comes on and I slow it down and pedal for a bit. Then I motor
for a bit, pedal for a bit, etc.. This helps to extend the range by one or
two miles. Of course, at some point, I will be almost exclusively
pedalling.

"Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
> powered by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
> batteries. This type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the
> level of resistance that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle
> that moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would
> really be an electric vehicle with the option of using a human to charge
> it.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
>
> Jeff

There is the famous Twike http://www.twike.us/
It is a side by side tandem passenger all weather electric assist vehicle.
But if you have to ask how much it costs you cannot afford it.

In article <Heq2h.40042$P7.34334@edtnps89>, Grolch wrote:
>BionX makes such electric assist setups. While there isn't true recharging,
>there is regenerative ability while braking etc. On the BionX units you can
>set the assist to 25%, 50%, 100% or 200% and, I believe there is different
>settings for the regenerating. I have seen the set up on Catrike Road
>trikes. The guy who rides it is like superman on the hills.

Especially useful if you have a heavy but aerodynamic vehicle:
http://www.waw-bionx.blogspot.com/
Consider that touring tandems often have drag brakes for use on long
descents, and a velomobile is going to be faster if not braked and
only have one person pedalling the weight up the next hill.

In news:0gv2h.78625$E67.16048@clgrps13,
Grolch <[email protected]> scribed:
> "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Grolch wrote:
>>> BionX makes such electric assist setups. While there isn't true
>>> recharging, there is regenerative ability while braking etc. On the
>>> BionX units you can set the assist to 25%, 50%, 100% or 200% and, I
>>> believe there is different settings for the regenerating. I have
>>> seen the set up on Catrike Road trikes. The guy who rides it is like
>>> superman on the hills.

>> Please elaorate. Do you mean he rides up hills wearing a cape,
>> rides up hills effortlessly or rides up hills putting in an effort
>> that only Superman is capable of?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> He rides up hills like I wish I could... effortlessly

It's easy. Just buy a motorbike.

Oh, wait...

--
Dave Larrington
I thought I saw his name on a jar of marmalade the other day,