Re: Halloween Message: Ignore all messages launched by a troll ...

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Edward Dolan, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. Chris Foster

    Chris Foster Guest

    "Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Tim Downie wrote:
    >> Jeff Grippe wrote:
    >>> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
    >>> powered by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
    >>> batteries. This type of setup would/could allow someone to choose
    >>> the level of resistance that they desire for cycling and still have
    >>> a vehicle that moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an
    >>> HPV since it would really be an electric vehicle with the option of
    >>> using a human to charge it.

    >> Driving a generator to charge a battery to drive a motor is going to
    >> be *way* more inefficient that a simple chain drive and derailleur.
    >> Who wants to pedal harder than they have to already to make progress?
    >>
    >> Tim
    >>

    > It seems to me that the vehicle would weight so much and would take so
    > much electricity to drive it that you would have to a very high gear
    > ratio in order to spin the generator fast enough to charge the
    > batteries to drive the vehicle that you would be much better off just
    > buying a nice lightweight bicycle.
    >
    > Ken

    Add Solar Cell's and this is viable, not a HPV, but good cheap
    transportation

    Chris Foster

  2. Chris Foster

    Chris Foster Guest

    "Daryl Hunt" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:11:21 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
    >>>powered
    >>>by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
    >>>batteries. This
    >>>type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of
    >>>resistance that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that
    >>>moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would
    >>>really be an electric
    >>>vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

    >> Any competent engineer would look at the significant power losses in
    >> the two points of energy conversion of crank->generation and
    >> generation->storage, and immediately conclude that this was a really,
    >> really intensely bad idea by comparison to direct coupling of the
    >> crank to the wheel via a chain.
    >>
    >> Yes, I am dead certain that what you propose has been tried, since
    >> examples of battery-powered bicycles and examples of human-powered
    >> generation systems are trivially easy to find as far back as the
    >> first decade of the 20th century. The fact that no such lash-up as
    >> you propose is actually produced for sale, when there has been a
    >> hundred years' worth of experimentation involved, should be a big
    >> clue.

    > Contact Union Pacific. They use that but they have 5000 hp diesels
    > running alternators without no battery assist. What's a little
    > ineffiency between friends on this one.
    >

    >> Do not let my observations dissuade you from spending your own money
    >> in an attempt to make it work, however. Some of us value the
    >> entertainment factor in watching such endeavors as they are pursued
    >> to their conclusion. I would, however, counsel against seeking
    >> venture capital for the project; some investors have a tendency to
    >> become a bit testy when their money proves ill-spent.

    > You should see my latest creation. I made an Electric Chopper Bike
    > with about a 15 mile range. It doesn't even look like a bicycle at
    > all but under all that trim is still a pedal bike.

    MG set (motor - generator sets) are at best 70% efficient. The rest of
    theenergy goes into heat. Batteries are 40 - 70% efficient (getting
    better and better all the time)

  3. solarflare

    solarflare New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2012
    The trouble with BionX, from my experience, is the batteries are actually unproven, unreliable technology.

  4. alienator

    alienator Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Messages:
    12,596
    Wow. You posted the same thing in three different threads. You didn't think one thread was sufficient?