Re: Halloween Message: Ignore all messages launched by a troll ...

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Tim Downie wrote:
>> Jeff Grippe wrote:
>>> Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
>>> powered by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
>>> batteries. This type of setup would/could allow someone to choose
>>> the level of resistance that they desire for cycling and still have
>>> a vehicle that moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an
>>> HPV since it would really be an electric vehicle with the option of
>>> using a human to charge it.

>> Driving a generator to charge a battery to drive a motor is going to
>> be *way* more inefficient that a simple chain drive and derailleur.
>> Who wants to pedal harder than they have to already to make progress?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> It seems to me that the vehicle would weight so much and would take so
> much electricity to drive it that you would have to a very high gear
> ratio in order to spin the generator fast enough to charge the
> batteries to drive the vehicle that you would be much better off just
> buying a nice lightweight bicycle.
>
> Ken

Add Solar Cell's and this is viable, not a HPV, but good cheap
transportation

Chris Foster

"Daryl Hunt" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:11:21 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone ever hear of a bike/trike/quad setup where the vehicle is
>>>powered
>>>by batteries and the pedaling is strictly used to charge the
>>>batteries. This
>>>type of setup would/could allow someone to choose the level of
>>>resistance that they desire for cycling and still have a vehicle that
>>>moves. I don't think that this would qualify as an HPV since it would
>>>really be an electric
>>>vehicle with the option of using a human to charge it.
>>>
>>>Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

>> Any competent engineer would look at the significant power losses in
>> the two points of energy conversion of crank->generation and
>> generation->storage, and immediately conclude that this was a really,
>> really intensely bad idea by comparison to direct coupling of the
>> crank to the wheel via a chain.
>>
>> Yes, I am dead certain that what you propose has been tried, since
>> examples of battery-powered bicycles and examples of human-powered
>> generation systems are trivially easy to find as far back as the
>> first decade of the 20th century. The fact that no such lash-up as
>> you propose is actually produced for sale, when there has been a
>> hundred years' worth of experimentation involved, should be a big
>> clue.

> Contact Union Pacific. They use that but they have 5000 hp diesels
> running alternators without no battery assist. What's a little
> ineffiency between friends on this one.
>

>> Do not let my observations dissuade you from spending your own money
>> in an attempt to make it work, however. Some of us value the
>> entertainment factor in watching such endeavors as they are pursued
>> to their conclusion. I would, however, counsel against seeking
>> venture capital for the project; some investors have a tendency to
>> become a bit testy when their money proves ill-spent.

> You should see my latest creation. I made an Electric Chopper Bike
> with about a 15 mile range. It doesn't even look like a bicycle at
> all but under all that trim is still a pedal bike.

MG set (motor - generator sets) are at best 70% efficient. The rest of
theenergy goes into heat. Batteries are 40 - 70% efficient (getting
better and better all the time)

The trouble with BionX, from my experience, is the batteries are actually unproven, unreliable technology.

solarflare said:
The trouble with BionX, from my experience, is the batteries are actually unproven, unreliable technology.
Wow. You posted the same thing in three different threads. You didn't think one thread was sufficient?