Re: Handlebar stem for better stability; short or long?

Dave Reckoning

Guest
"Frank Tompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> However, initially the steering was really wobbly. I thought it was just
> me, but eventually discovered the wrong forks had been fitted. Instead of
> a 47mm rake, a 42mm rake fork had been fitted. It was replaced
> immediately.
> With the 47mm rake fork it is more stable (phew!) by a factor of, say,
> 50%. (I understand that this goes against conventional logic which I can't
> explain!) However, how do I get to what I regard as real stability like my
> current Trek 7500FX. Ravens are supposed to 'run on rails'.

Dave sez:
Hmmm, it would seem to me that a longer rake would provide LESS castor
action and stability not more. I am confused by this, is it possible it just
had WAY too much trail and was sloppy as a result? Is it possible it was
designed for larger wheels than you are running?

> The Raven comes with a number of height sizes, each of which includes a
> 'long' and a 'short' version. I opted for a short version because I like a
> fairly upright ride, but now wonder if I would be better off with a long
> version, and with a shorter handlebar stem. So the question is, would a
> shorter stem (with a longer frame) provide more stability? Grateful for
> any thoughts.

Again Dave blathers on:
Speaking only from expierence here, I used to ride several bikes 56TT
and150mm stem. I recently switched to a 60TT and a 110 stem and a 58.5TT and
120 setm. Bear in mind that a lot of things changed in the frame design but
I kept the same bars and wheels. Also bear in mind that the chain stays are
of nearly the exact same length with a slightly longer front.

The difference is stunning. I am WAY more in control of the machine. It does
not tend to oversteer like it did and I no longer make the rear wheel jump
around if I decide to accererate in less than good road conditions. The
weight distribution is the biggest difference.

> Also, I'm not entirely convinced by the Raven's 26" wheels. Any opinions?

Again Dave believes you need to read:
Frank, Can you be more specific about your lace of confidence? I have many
opinions about many things :) I think you mean are 26" wheels OK. Yes they
are but they cut down on your tire choices considerabley. Other than that
they don't really run any harsher or with noticably more resistance. Having
said you have fewer tire choices you should bear in mind that at least here
in the US you have more choices of tire outlets. Every Wallmart carries
these tires.