Re: Harbour Bridge Ride - Critical Mass

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:12:06 +1100
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2006-11-26, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>
>> Then the people I saw didn't exist, and the ones who talked to me
>> about it on the weekend didn't either?

>
> Were they there? Did they see it? Or were they blaming the generally
> slow traffic on something they saw on the news that night?

One of them said she saw the cop car across the road and the bikes,
the other I'm not sure saw it, but was on the road at the time and
does it every day so has some idea of what the traffic is usually
like.

Zebee

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:25:03 +1100, TimC
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh and Terry, some of us CM supporters are café latté sipping lycra
>clad wannabes, although one or more of us may be stuck on a bus more
>often than not lately, given the weather of late. Oh how depressing
>it is. But I have found a good source of lattés here now, at least.

Are lattés a good recovery drink like chocolate milk?
Personally, I prefer a banana smoothie and a long black.

Aeek said:
Are lattés a good recovery drink like chocolate milk?
Personally, I prefer a banana smoothie and a long black.

Chocie milk good ...
http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2006/1121/life/stories/choco-milk.htm
Chocolate milk helps athletes recover more quickly. Study shows it beats other power drinks for speeding recovery

DENVER — It comes in only one flavor — no Fierce Grape or Riptide Rush available — and you certainly won't see your favorite basketball star gulping it down on the sideline during a timeout.

But a group of scientists recently discovered that one of the most effective drinks to help athletes recover after exercise is the same thing moms across America have been giving their kids for years.

A simple glass of chocolate milk.

To be forthright, the study by the scientists from Indiana University, published in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, was supported in part by the Dairy and Nutrition Council.

Still, their findings are compelling.

The small group of nine fit athletes who took part in the study were asked to work out strenuously on a stationary bicycle, then drink low-fat chocolate milk, a fluid-replacement drink like Gatorade and a carbohydrate replacement drink like Endurox R4. A few hours later, they were asked to cycle again until they reached exhaustion.

The test was repeated three times — once with each kind of drink — and the data showed that the cyclists were able to go between 49 and 54 percent longer on the second stint after drinking chocolate milk than when they drank the carbohydrate drink. The difference between the milk and the fluid-replacement drink was not significant.

"My way of explaining it is, there's really nothing magic about the powder in a can that you mix with water," cycling coach Scott Saifer said of the carbohydrate drink. "It's water, carbs, proteins, maybe minerals and electrolytes. What's in chocolate milk? The same thing. There's no reason it shouldn't be as good for recovery as a carb drink."

(more in article)