Re: Harbour Bridge Ride - Critical Mass

PiledHigher

Guest
Resound wrote:

> "I'm not a fan of Critical Mass, largely because because they tend to bring
> out this sort of kneejerk reaction in a significant portion of the
> population.

One of the best ways to defuse an argument is to get the opposition to
be ridiculous, there is a famous quote regarding this. Hopefully the
hyperbolic argument makes people go, I'm not that much of a lunatic.

We've been through the hyperbole earlier in the week with WA talking
about daylight savings.

And one more comment back to our extremist, imagine if the article
said!

>Disturbing cycle a critical mess
>By Anita Quigley
>
>November 25, 2006 12:00
>It has never occurred to me it might matter to people what a muslim wears because, hijab >or birka, all muslims in the city are irritating and I find bring on an overwhelming desire to >swerve towards.

Cycling needs to be a religion...

Aeek wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2006 23:53:00 -0800, "PiledHigher" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Cycling needs to be a religion...

> WHAT!!! It's not ???

It is:

Our Father, who art in Belgium,
Mercks be thy Name.
Thy bicycles come.
Thy racing be done,
On Earth as it is in Belgium.
Give us this day our daily ride.
And forgive us our softnesses,
As we forgive 4wds who trespass against us.
And lead us not into mechanicals,
But deliver us from head winds.
For thine is the cadence,
and the power,
and the wins,
for ever and ever.
Axle.

PiledHigher said:
It is:

Our Father, who art in Belgium,
Mercks be thy Name.
Thy bicycles come.
Thy racing be done,
On Earth as it is in Belgium.
Give us this day our daily ride.
And forgive us our softnesses,
As we forgive 4wds who trespass against us.
And lead us not into mechanicals,
But deliver us from head winds.
For thine is the cadence,
and the power,
and the wins,
for ever and ever.
Axle.
Love it!!:)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 01:43:57 -0800, PiledHigher wrote:

> Our Father, who art in Belgium,
> Mercks be thy Name.

<snip>
Axle.

I think you misspelled your name, Axel.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
'Behold ye angels, I have created the ****. Throughout

PiledHigher said:
Our Father, who art in Belgium,
Mercks be thy Name.
Thy bicycles come.
Thy racing be done,
On Earth as it is in Belgium.
Give us this day our daily ride.
And forgive us our softnesses,
As we forgive 4wds who trespass against us.
And lead us not into mechanicals,
But deliver us from head winds.
For thine is the cadence,
and the power,
and the wins,
for ever and ever.
Axle.

Cycling's Mountain Madonna
http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/printout/0,13155,901040705-657241,00.html

Michael Brunton pedals up to Lombardy's Madonna del Ghisallo chapel, where Italy's bikers seek divine protection

A thousand years ago, in the wooded hills above Bellagio, where cypresses sweep down to meet Lake Como as it branches into Lake Lecco, the Count of Ghisallo was out hunting when he was set upon by brigands. Fleeing for his life, the Count sought divine mercy at a roadside shrine to the Virgin Mary and, according to legend, was miraculously spared. The details of his escape are lost, but we can be sure it didn't involve a bike. Yet centuries later, the Madonna del Ghisallo was named the patron saint of cyclists, and ever since, pilgrims have been pedaling up the mountain to this spot to ask her to "protect us along the roads, relieve us from dangers and lead us to safety." And, the pro cyclists can't help but add, to victory.

For a commuting cyclist in London, life can get scary. What with the potholes and the scant regard for safety that leaves us to mix it with buses and trucks, I've come to rely on my senses instead. Wearing a helmet feels more like an act of desperation than faith, so I rarely bother. I'd prefer the patronage of road planners to saints any day, but a little divine intervention wouldn't go amiss.

(more in article)