It was the thin trickle of rusty grease from the bottom headstock bearing that made me strip it down, your honour... eventually traceable to a leak at the bolt at the top of the (quill) stem, and a rusty bit of cast iron pretending to be the nut-cum-spreader bit (whatever that's called) but that's another story. (What is that called? Is it on Guy's naming of parts relay?)
I just call it the wedge (but in these matters I may be but Poorly Educated).
It was the thin trickle of rusty grease from the bottom headstock bearing that made me strip it down, your honour... eventually traceable to a leak at the bolt at the top of the (quill) stem, and a rusty bit of cast iron pretending to be the nut-cum-spreader bit (whatever that's called) but that's another story. (What is that called? Is it on Guy's naming of parts relay?)
I just call it the wedge (but in these matters I may be but Poorly Educated).
It was the thin trickle of rusty grease from the bottom headstock bearing that made me strip it down, your honour... eventually traceable to a leak at the bolt at the top of the (quill) stem, and a rusty bit of cast iron pretending to be the nut-cum-spreader bit (whatever that's called) but that's another story. (What is that called? Is it on Guy's naming of parts relay?)
I just call it the wedge (but in these matters I may be but Poorly Educated).